IGNORED

Atari Karts Jaguar Review - One of the consoles true hidden gems?!?

Adriano Arcade

I think Atari Karts is very underrated. It has really cool graphics and design, I think it is a lot of fun to play. I like the added excitement that you can get stuck in some places which really ups the antes. For me it is one of the top 3 games on the console.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't say that it is underrated at all. Those of us true jaguar fans already know about it and know it's a good game. I guess for those who are new to the Jag or have never heard of anything for the console aside from Avp, Doom, or Tempest 2000, then it's probably underrated to them and likely comes as a shock when they assume the system sucked and had only a few good games then found out about Atari Karts and then realized oh snap this is also good!

I've never played it. :-/ I bought the only copy I've ever come across in the wild, but it was sealed. While I don't mind opening sealed games most of the time, I'm really not wanting to tear the plastic off this AK primarily because of the rarity. Hopefully I'll find a loose copy in some store somewhere, someday, and I'll go to town on that sucker...

What's so hard about figuring out the power-ups for this game? They work just fine....

My biggest gripe with any racer is interruption in the flow of the action. You should be cruising along; be able to touch something and grind instantly to a dead halt. That is my main grip with this game but overall i find it to be quite fun. To be fair they modeled this game off Mario Kart for the SNES and that game occasionally has that issue as well. Overall not a bad effort for the era but they should have been even more shameless in ripping off Mario Kart with a few offensive weapons, etc.

What's so hard about figuring out the power-ups for this game? They work just fine....

My biggest gripe with any racer is interruption in the flow of the action. You should be cruising along; be able to touch something and grind instantly to a dead halt. That is my main grip with this game but overall i find it to be quite fun. To be fair they modeled this game off Mario Kart for the SNES and that game occasionally has that issue as well. Overall not a bad effort for the era but they should have been even more shameless in ripping off Mario Kart with a few offensive weapons, etc.

I don't think it's that they don't work or we can't figure them out, it's just they don't add much IMO. And the reverse control hazards are just a poor idea. Take the banana peels in Mario Kart, yeah it's a bummer when you hit one and spin out, but it doesn't ruin the game for a short period of time like having your controls reversed. SMK certainly isn't perfect, but it's orders of magnitude more enjoyable and memorable than Atari Karts. I love kart racers (Diddy Kong Racing 4 lyfe) and wish AK had more polish, but as is it is just a lackluster SMK ripoff to me.

• Like 1

I guess my problem when I played it was that Atari HYPED all their games and when I finally got to purchase them. I was severely disappointed. There were some gems but when I got Atari Karts. I was thinking this is the next level. I felt like I already played it. Just felt like a "B" level game.

I loved Tempest 2000, Aliens vs Predator, Doom, Wolfenstein, Iron Soildier, Raiden, Rayman and Defender 2000, though Defender 2000 was a bit underwhelming.

I did not love Kasumi Ninja, Club Drive, Checkered Flag, Cybermorph, Trevor McFur, Bubsy, Double Dragon V, Dragon the Bruce Lee story, Fight for Life, AirCars and so on.

Maybe I expected to much but I felt Atar's hype didn't match the end results.

Edited by VintageGamer74

I like Atari Karts, but the power-ups are kinda' pointless unless you're going up against a friend. When playing alone, didn't feel like they had any impact on other racers. It's enjoyable, handles well, looks pretty, and sounds good. Still, best played with a friend.

On the topic of how kart racers 'should' be done, I've just started playing Konami Krazy Racers on Gameboy Advance.

It's freaking awesome. It might actually be better than MK Super Circuit.

post-7648-0-03124900-1560160025_thumb.jpg

It also made me lament what a missed opportunity Atari Karts was...

It's an ok game, but it could have been so much more.

• 4 months later...
On 5/19/2019 at 2:31 AM, 82-T/A said:

Hahah, no, sorry. I as trying to respond to this thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/291318-speedball-2-and-fantasy-world-dizzy-now-available-to-pre-order/

... but I was on my phone when I ordered the games and then after I posted, I couldn't figure out where my post went. But now I know, hahaha!

I do have Atari Karts though. I bought it YEARS ago from KayBee Toys at the mall for like $5 bucks. When I had roommates, we used to play that game all the time while drinking. That and Fever Pitch Soccer.

Whenever we'd score and it would show this screen:

s_FeverPitchSoccer_5.jpg

... whoever won would scream "FOR MY COUNTRY!!!!"

Hahah...

You're probably like... "I don't get it?" ... in the United States, we don't really have "international" sports. We tend to be far more myopic in our sports, instead focusing on each state. The only sport that's really international is Hockey, and Canada and the US are so integrated in that sport that we don't really think of things from the perspective of Canada winning or the United States winning... just whether or not the Washington Capitals, or Winnipeg Jets, etc.

It's not like the rest of the world with Soccer, Formula-1, Cricket, etc. I don't even know if we have a Cricket team, and people in the United States don't even really watch Soccer unless we know we're in the World Cup, and... almost no one in the US watches Formula-1. I stopped watching when they got rid of the V8. I was a die-hard fan from 2003 until just a few years ago. I dunno... I can't get into the V6 Turbo. I know the exhaust sounds better, but I just feel like Bernie Eccelstein kind of ruined the sport. I'm still a Kimi fan, and I like Max Verstappen now... but anyway... bring back the V8, or the V10, or even better, the V12.

Sorry, rambling. So... we think it's kind of funny, so after 6-7 beers, and we bust out Fever Pitch... that's how we roll.

Damn, I took this on a tangent...

Never a footy fan,so missed Atari Uk's Darryl Still talking about Fever Pitch Soccer at the time:

Well boys, this is the first in production from the European
: development division (who better to do Soccer?) produced by
: Alistair and myself, so this commentry is totally biased.

: Fever Pitch Soccer takes the best aspects of FIFA, adds long
: term playability, a major tournament mode and lots of star players
: with special moves such as a guy who has a rocket shot, a bendy shot,
: a skill merchant and one who can con referees into giving free kicks
: by diving over opponents legs.  It's great fun and plays really well.

FIFA is no problem to beat. Konami beat it long ago with Perfect 11, and
now their sequel Fighting 11 beats that. This is only on the SFC too and
so far it beats every soccer game despite the platform. What will this
soccer game have over Fighting 11?

: Darryl
:  

Little trivia - the unofficial sequel to Atari Karts came to the NUON as one of that systems small library of games in the way of Miracle Racing.  After that Miracle Designs put out a few Playstation titles which were really just pieces of Miracle Racing carved out and released as stand alone games.