IGNORED

Atari Karts Jaguar Review - One of the consoles true hidden gems?!?

Adriano Arcade

For my latest Atari Jaguar based review I look at the slick, well made and ultimately fun racer; Atari Karts.

I would be honoured if you gave it a cheeky read:

https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/atari-karts-jaguar-review/

For more Arcade Attack retro gaming goodness, please check us out using the links below:

Homepage: https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/

Podcast: https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/podcast/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/arcadeattackUK

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/arcadeattackUK/

• Like 2

It's one of those games that probably gets a better grade on the Jag than it would on any other console. To me they missed the boat on what makes a Kart racer fun. The power ups might as well have been left out of the game. Controls could've used some polishing as well. Not a horrible game like many on the Jag, but not what it could've been IMO.

• Like 6

yep, after all the build up over the years, finally got a copy rescently, true a good jag game, but not as good as the mario or even crash cart games, better than M&M cart racer on the Wii.

I guess tge problem is I should be comparing it to mario cart snes or bc racers, but even then its 3rd place.

The racing game is good, mario added in the battle aspect that Atari karts didnt have. Also using only one mascot when they owned several classic mascots and could of thrown in hidden characters like an unnamed atari 2600 ET, was a missed opportunity, especially being that this game came after or was inspired by mario cart

• Like 1

@Pete5125 That's a good point about comparing it to Mario but even on it's own, it's just a decent game. That's why I brought up Crash because Crash took what a kart game was and actually added to the genre and in some respects surpassed Mario Kart.

I had no problem with characters but my problem was with the character artwork. It was uninspired to me.

I don't pretend to know but too bad Atari wasn't on better footing because it does have flashes of something good.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice review.

Kart Racers were never my thing on any system and i have tried them on SNES,Mega CD, Playstation, DC and PSP over the years.

As others have said, with Atari Karts..The concept is decent enough, but the execution left a lot to be desired.

If your going to copy something like Mario Kart as so many have over the years, you have to understand what really made the game work and throw in a few ideas of your own that make your game stand out.

Wish they had kept the Pum King character for the final version though

• Like 2

Nice review.

Kart Racers were never my thing on any system and i have tried them on SNES,Mega CD, Playstation, DC and PSP over the years.

As others have said, with Atari Karts..The concept is decent enough, but the execution left a lot to be desired.

If your going to copy something like Mario Kart as so many have over the years, you have to understand what really made the game work and throw in a few ideas of your own that make your game stand out.

Wish they had kept the Pum King character for the final version though

But Pum King is in the final version of Atari Karts :)

• Like 3

Thought he was Beta only?

But then, not touched the game in nearly 20 years and tried numerous Kart Racers since then.

Everything from Super Deformed Characters, Disney, South Park, Final Fantasy, Cavemen, Star Wars etc..don't think there's much that has not been turned into a Kart Racer at 1 point. .oh and not forgetting Crash Bandicoot

He was 1 of the best characters, design wise.

• Like 1

You ordered Atari Karts? :)

Hahah, no, sorry. I as trying to respond to this thread: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/291318-speedball-2-and-fantasy-world-dizzy-now-available-to-pre-order/

... but I was on my phone when I ordered the games and then after I posted, I couldn't figure out where my post went. But now I know, hahaha!

I do have Atari Karts though. I bought it YEARS ago from KayBee Toys at the mall for like $5 bucks. When I had roommates, we used to play that game all the time while drinking. That and Fever Pitch Soccer.

Whenever we'd score and it would show this screen:

s_FeverPitchSoccer_5.jpg

... whoever won would scream "FOR MY COUNTRY!!!!"

Hahah...

You're probably like... "I don't get it?" ... in the United States, we don't really have "international" sports. We tend to be far more myopic in our sports, instead focusing on each state. The only sport that's really international is Hockey, and Canada and the US are so integrated in that sport that we don't really think of things from the perspective of Canada winning or the United States winning... just whether or not the Washington Capitals, or Winnipeg Jets, etc.

It's not like the rest of the world with Soccer, Formula-1, Cricket, etc. I don't even know if we have a Cricket team, and people in the United States don't even really watch Soccer unless we know we're in the World Cup, and... almost no one in the US watches Formula-1. I stopped watching when they got rid of the V8. I was a die-hard fan from 2003 until just a few years ago. I dunno... I can't get into the V6 Turbo. I know the exhaust sounds better, but I just feel like Bernie Eccelstein kind of ruined the sport. I'm still a Kimi fan, and I like Max Verstappen now... but anyway... bring back the V8, or the V10, or even better, the V12.

Sorry, rambling. So... we think it's kind of funny, so after 6-7 beers, and we bust out Fever Pitch... that's how we roll.

Damn, I took this on a tangent...

• Like 3