IGNORED

UltraSatan Real Time Clock

I recently contacted Jookie and Lotharek about a problem I'm having wiht my UltraSatan's battery backed real time clock (purchased from Lotharek). Jookie suggested I contact Lotharek. Lotharek said he never heard of this problem before. So, I thought I'd post it here:

As I mentioned in another post, I have an UltraSatan running on an Atari 1040 STE (4 Megs, TOS 1.62). I purchased it used and the seller purchased it from Lotharek (it's the metal cased version). The US has version 1.20 firmware installed. It also has the PeraPutnik drivers. The seller never bothered to to try to set the battery backed real time clock chip (RTC). So, it's unknown if it ever worked correctly.

I downloaded Jookie's clock utilities, but they do not set the date and time on the US. I also tried replacing the battery and tried it with the base firmware. I also tried the US on a stock Atari 520STFM. No luck.

The date and time do appear to be working but can't be set. When I first ran the clock set program it said the date was was 2002-03-18. When I replaced the battery, it reset to 2001-01-01.

I did not find anything on the Internet that said there is a known problem with my system configuration and the US. I do wonder if upgrading to TOS 2.06 could fix the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas? I checked all over the Internet and did not find anyone else reporting the same issue.

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka

there are two small files within

I believe

the ICD folder that comes with the Ultrasatan

called something like

GETCLK and

SETCLK

that work very nicely to set and install the time

if you put the GETCLK file in an AUTO folder on the C: drive

then the correct time will be loaded with every bootup

provided you set it initially

I did all this today myself

there are two small files within

I believe

the ICD folder that comes with the Ultrasatan

called something like

GETCLK and

SETCLK

that work very nicely to set and install the time

if you put the GETCLK file in an AUTO folder on the C: drive

then the correct time will be loaded with every bootup

provided you set it initially

I did all this today myself

Yes, those are Jookie's clock utilities that I mentioned in my original post. They do not work for me. That is, SETCLK will not set the clock on my UltraSatan. What kind of ST and version of TOS are you running?

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka

Just out of curiosity, what did the utility do? Was there an error message? Did it just not work?

Because.... I had a thought. What if the date format is causing an error since it is probably written for European date formats and you probably entered in a US one? You know, how they put the day before the month, because somehow that makes logical sense to nations that didn't fake footage of putting a man on the moon like we did)!!!!!!

(Really though... nothing but love for our overseas brothers... just wondering if that might have been an issue... I know I've run into it on the A8 with versions of the SpartaDos time and date setting where sometimes, depending on the version and where it came from, wants the European date format).

Just out of curiosity, what did the utility do? Was there an error message? Did it just not work?

Because.... I had a thought. What if the date format is causing an error since it is probably written for European date formats and you probably entered in a US one? You know, how they put the day before the month, because somehow that makes logical sense to nations that didn't fake footage of putting a man on the moon like we did)!!!!!!

(Really though... nothing but love for our overseas brothers... just wondering if that might have been an issue... I know I've run into it on the A8 with versions of the SpartaDos time and date setting where sometimes, depending on the version and where it came from, wants the European date format).

No error message. The date and time does not change. The utility has you enter the date/time in a specified format. I tried that format and a few others. No difference.

-JP

No error message. The date and time does not change. The utility has you enter the date/time in a specified format. I tried that format and a few others. No difference.

-JP

Alas... just thought I'd make sure to eliminate the low hanging fruit.

I checked it today - did not use it, last time maybe some 6 years ago, because programming goes mostly with Steem Debugger, so I don't need real time on Atari really :)

Jookie SW works, but I noticed 1 error with German 1.04 original: Time in TOS is 1 hour more than what is set - checked twice. With US 1.62i it is OK. Really strange.

What could be problem by you, JohnPolka ? May be that there is some HW problem on your US only with RTC part. Really have no other idea.

• Like 1

I checked it today - did not use it, last time maybe some 6 years ago, because programming goes mostly with Steem Debugger, so I don't need real time on Atari really :)

Jookie SW works, but I noticed 1 error with German 1.04 original: Time in TOS is 1 hour more than what is set - checked twice. With US 1.62i it is OK. Really strange.

What could be problem by you, JohnPolka ? May be that there is some HW problem on your US only with RTC part. Really have no other idea.

I suspect this may be a hardware problem. What puzzled Lotharek was the fact that I could still read the time. If there was a problem with the chip, he suspected I wouldn't read any time (or I'd read a random/garbage time). The RTC is keeping time. I just can't set it (other than reset it to 2001-01-01 if I unplug the battery).

I did find a message on atari-forum from someone who had a similar, but not exactly the same, problem. On the last two messages of the following link someone with a similar set up (1040 STE, 4MB, 1.62 TOS), mentioned a problem setting the date, but not the time. My problem is with both time and date. Regardless, it doesn't look like their problem was ever resolved either. However, they wondered if upgrading to TOS 2.06 may help. I suppose I could try posting a message there too.

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17742&start=50

-JP

Edited by JohnPolka

• 1 month later...

I did find a message on atari-forum from someone who had a similar, but not exactly the same, problem. On the last two messages of the following link someone with a similar set up (1040 STE, 4MB, 1.62 TOS), mentioned a problem setting the date, but not the time. My problem is with both time and date. Regardless, it doesn't look like their problem was ever resolved either. However, they wondered if upgrading to TOS 2.06 may help. I suppose I could try posting a message there too.

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=17742&start=50

-JP

Just an FYI - upgrading to TOS 2.06 didn't help. It's probably a defective US.

-JP