IGNORED

Best system to put a Ultimate 1 MB into?

chad5200

The socketed 800XL will require the least amount of effort to install.

The 130XE in stock configuration is already more capable with the extra RAM than the other 3, so it wouldn't be my first choice.

A machine without sockets = more work, so I'd discount the 130XE and 65XE...

1200XL will require work to convert it to 800XL OS and internal BASIC ROM compatibility first if you haven't done that already.

One of the socketed machines, which ever one you prefer. There will be a couple more fixes you will want to do to the 1200XL and there's no PBI port, but that is less important these days and U1MB is one of the reasons why.

But no, you will not have to do a BASIC and OS conversion to a 1200XL before upgrading to the U1MB which comes with that stuff built in. It will take a couple extra steps to install the U1MB, on a 1200XL vs. 800XL, but what needs to be done will be done during the U1MB installation, from a stock 1200XL. Yes, less steps like the 800XL if you have already upgraded the 1200XL.

Edited by Gunstar

But no, you will not have to do a BASIC and OS conversion to a 1200XL before upgrading to the U1MB which comes with that stuff built in. It will take a couple extra steps to install the U1MB, on a 1200XL vs. 800XL, but what needs to be done will be done during the U1MB installation, from a stock 1200XL. Yes, less steps like the 800XL if you have already upgraded the 1200XL.

Those extra steps you refer to (moving jumpers and soldering the wire from SALLY to one of the jumper locations) essentially *is* the BASIC and OS conversion. If you pull that U1MB and plug in an 800XL MMU and OS it'll boot up and work just like an 800XL, minus the BASIC. Adding BASIC only takes a bit of extra work from that point.

Of course if your 1200XL has 24-pin OS ROM sockets (like one of mine), it can be even more work to either replace the socket entirely (the "correct" way), or less so if you merely clear out the extra holes and solder in some female machine pin SIP segments as an "extender."

Fortunately, the 1200XL of mine that I used to installed a U1MB into has 28 pin sockets so no need to bother with that aspect.

• Like 1

I am totally fine with soldering.

My 1200XL is upgraded with 800XL MMU and XL OS and Basic ROM C. So that is all set.

Sounds like it's down to 800XL or 1200XL. I would prefer to do the 1200XL just because I love the keyboard but the only thing making me hesitate is the deep cartridge port on the side. I'm guessing that is not very "Side2 Friendly"?

I am totally fine with soldering.

My 1200XL is upgraded with 800XL MMU and XL OS and Basic ROM C. So that is all set.

Sounds like it's down to 800XL or 1200XL. I would prefer to do the 1200XL just because I love the keyboard but the only thing making me hesitate is the deep cartridge port on the side. I'm guessing that is not very "Side2 Friendly"?

It's a tight fit for sure. You can either sand a bit off the sides of the SIDE2 or the internal well of the 1200XL. I used a Dremel and simply widened the 1200XL cart tunnel by probably a millimeter or less total and while the fit is snug, it goes in and comes out just fine now.

• Like 4

Install it in your favorite machine, as long as you don't mind taking the risk of possibly damaging it. So 1200XL for you. Yes the SIDE2 cart won't fit in there without some workaround. I did not shave my tunnel down but tried shaving bits off the cart. I regret doing that and it didn't work.

• Like 1

There are also port extenders for the 1200xl to bring the cartridge outside.

https://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=1200xl-cartridge-port-extension

I can vouch for the extender board above -- it works great and is SIDE2 Cartridge friendly. You can also get a 3D printed case for it here:

https://corei64.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=62_87&product_id=186

https://corei64.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=62_87&product_id=187

• Like 1

Yes the SIDE2 cart won't fit in there without some workaround. I did not shave my tunnel down but tried shaving bits off the cart. I regret doing that and it didn't work.

Use Dropcheck's excellent 1200XL cart extender, then the SIDE2 cart will work without any further mods necessary. I have one of the extender and it works perfectly.

Edited by JoSch
  • Like 1

You're not wrong -- here's how its done:

Wow.

I lost track. What all does he install in that video?

I'm assuming that you cannot put the RF shield back?

That last board seems to come really close to the edge of the motherboard. I mean, I know it was all planned out intelligently, but I'm surprised the computer can be put back together with all that inside!

You should see some of Jon's videos - he can get an AMAZING amount of stuff into a machine!

I agree!! Jon does some truly amazing work in installing new upgrades into our old hardware! Be sure to see the videos he referenced in Message #18 above for U1MB with Adaptus Adapter install. His YouTube Channel with his amazing Atari 8-Bit Installation videos can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4nx-i-2K34RDHyDn06i7Ng

• Like 1

I agree!! Jon does some truly amazing work in installing new upgrades into our old hardware! Be sure to see the videos he referenced in Message #18 above for U1MB with Adaptus Adapter install. His YouTube Channel with his amazing Atari 8-Bit Installation videos can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4nx-i-2K34RDHyDn06i7Ng

I have him on my Kodi box(es), firestick, phone...

post-13040-0-68465400-1556850563_thumb.jpg

BTW, how do you like my choice of Fonts for Kodi?

:)