IGNORED

Old pictures of our Atari 8-bit setups

chad5200

Forgive me if there is already a thread like this... but I figured it would be fun to post old pictures of us back in the day that include our beloved Atari 8-bits. If there is already a thread, please point me in the right direction.

I'll start with one... I estimate this is 1984.

post-25-0-59815400-1556765305_thumb.jpg

• Like 46

Forgive me if there is already a thread like this... but I figured it would be fun to post old pictures of us back in the day that include our beloved Atari 8-bits. If there is already a thread, please point me in the right direction.

attachicon.gifPICT1310.JPG

Ah, an Epson FX-80! I had one as well and absolutely loved it.

When I moved more or less completely over to the ST, I bought a 1029 on clearance and used that with the 8-bit machines - but kept the FX-80 and used that with the ST right up until I moved over to a PC in 1995-ish.

• Like 3

My Atari & me - I'm guessing 1991-1992

All our demos were made on this one (my parts)

That's a monochrome Junost TV I worked on all those years, colored everything from memory (I guess we all knew our favorite color codes by heart back then). Only fine tuned colors on a color TV when the parts were completed.

post-49218-0-97801800-1556782339_thumb.jpg

• Like 44

I don't know if any pictures were ever taken of my set up back then, with or without me in it...pre '85 it would have been a Timex/Sinclair 1000 set up and not much to look at. late summer of '85 was when I got my XE. I'd love to find an old photo, but I just don't recall ever taking a picture of the equipment back then...best I can do is about 15 years ago, which are already posted in an old "show us your set up" thread around here somewhere...

The picture may have been taken in '84, but that room screams 1970's style! :grin:

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing! I had that exact TV that I used with my 800. I think it was an RCA 13" which was color and a huge step up from the previous black and white television I had. It was a huge cost at the time because a 13" black and white TV could be purchased for less than $90 while color was over $200. I am talking base model prices without a remote and not cable ready, I don't even remember what the cost of a Trinitron was back then.

Is that Bill Buckner (Chicago Cubs player) in the poster on the wall?

And an 8-track deck!

The first picture reminds me of my first setup bar a large number of disk boxes all over the place...Also had the FX-80 (in fact at the moment a friend has his one that he wants me to take to save some space).

No pics of my stuff sadly.... :(

I like how you used the Indus case as a disk box... alas, I'm pretty 100% sure there are no photos of my setup "back in the day". icon_sad.gif

Yep! The Indus GT box was designed that way. I loved that.

The picture may have been taken in '84, but that room screams 1970's style! icon_biggrinwink.gif

Absolutely! The house was built in 1977. Total 70's house. I miss it!

Is that Bill Buckner (Chicago Cubs player) in the poster on the wall?

And an 8-track deck!

Bill Bucker is right! I've been a lifelong Chicago Cubs fan.

8-track was little used by me, this stereo was a hand-me-down from my oldest brother.

... and a 45 record on the Indus?

Yes. My parents bought a used 1969 Rockola jukebox around that time (which I still have!) and it came with hundreds of 45's.

I guess I am lucky, my dad always took lots of photos. I have more of my old setup that I will dig up and share when I find them.

Edited by chad5200
  • Like 5

These are pictures from my bedroom probably around '84. It was before I got my 130XE.

Notice the light pen (in the dancy rolled up paper holster I fashioned from notebook paper and masking tape) and the "artwork" I printed on my Panasonic KX-P1091 and my Okimate 10 printer.

Looks like this is also before I got my Indus GT drive.

Also, note the rubbermade box that just happened to be the right size for disks and the disk "tree" that stacked disks up for easy access.

FYI, I recreated that disk tree for 3-D printing: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2764610

The last picture is from Tech School at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, MS. I was there from 9-85 thru 4-86. This was likely taken closer to the end of that period. The little switch box between the Atari and the disk drives had four outlets on the back and 4 switches on top to turn things on and off.

You cannot really see it here, but we were not allowed to have anything out that was not secured. To secure everything, I bought chain and loosened the screws for each thing and stuck a chain link inside and then tightened the screws down so the chain could not be removed.

We were also not allowed to have multiple plugs in our rooms. I got permission to have the plugs, but it had to always be unplugged when I was not in the room. (And they checked)

post-50483-0-01470200-1556831603_thumb.jpg

post-50483-0-06300900-1556831611_thumb.jpg

post-50483-0-84464600-1556831619_thumb.jpg

post-50483-0-78153400-1556831629_thumb.jpg

• Like 30

Hi!

This is the only picture that i´ve found....must be ´84

Greetings from germany,

Jens.

Atari 600 XL :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ... also my first Atari computer, no other 8bit Atari computer beats that compact, stylish look. That's not just a fact - that's general law of nature :D.

• Like 2

Atari 600 XL :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ... also my first Atari computer, no other 8bit Atari computer beats that compact, stylish look. That's not just a fact - that's general law of nature :D.

Yes, but could you roll a tank over it and have it survive like that 800?

Funny story. My neighbors had a 600 with a tape drive. When they wanted to load games, they thought (and actually, back then, i did too) that you had to hold the option key the whole time. He took a paint stirrer and put a rubber bumper on it and then put the bumper on the option key and put a rock on top of it to hold it down.

I'm guessing that if that machine still exists somewhere today, the option key is a little flakey... :)

• Like 1

I found two more pictures. These go back even further in time! I believe this is 1982 when I was 11 years old and when my Atari 800 was new along with my beloved 410 Cassette Drive!

One picture includes my brother (sitting) as I stand next to him and we attempt to write some kind of Global Thermonuclear War game. I think we got as far as drawing the outline of USA and Russia with PLOT and DRAWTO statements in Basic.

Also, in the picture is the book "Nuclear War: What's In It For You?". How hilarious is that? Oh, the good old Cold War days. icon_smile.gif

https://www.amazon.com/Nuclear-Inc-Ground-Zero-Fund/dp/0671450964

One of my first games I ever bought was Canyon Climber.

Oh... take me back!

post-25-0-60792600-1556837182_thumb.jpg

post-25-0-68287000-1556837197_thumb.jpg

• Like 29

This is a terrible copy of this photo, but here's my contribution:

image.jpeg

This would have been taken during the Christmas holiday, probably either 1987 or 1988, at my grandparents' house. In case you can't see the screen, that's Archon II that I'm playing. I remember that this was taken by my father, who startled me while I was deeply engrossed in my late-night gaming session, which is why I look a little "dazed."

Except for the TV, I still have just about everything on that table: my uncle's Atari 800 and 1050, my grandfather's TI 99/4A, the Wico Bat joystick that I'm holding, the books, and even our original box of floppy disks. Except for a few of the disks, everything still works!

• Like 34

Great thread.

Here's my then-new setup from September '82, complete with black & white TV..

Ah, TV’s with handles on top. :P When we were kids in the early 70’s through about 1980 or so, we had a Philco B&W portable set in our playroom and then later the bedroom I shared with my stepbrother, with a handle on top just like that.

• Like 2