IGNORED

Old pictures of our Atari 8-bit setups

chad5200

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 1:05 PM, bcombee said:

I found some old photographs of my Atari 130XE setup from around 1987 when I was in middle school.  I had my old 1050 and a new XF551, a SX212 modem, and Star NX-10 printer.  I also had a 1020 plotter, but its not in these pictures.  The little portable computer is a Epson HX20 that my Mom had bought from a surplus store; I remember taking it on a class field trip and printing out lots of fake biorythym reports for my classmates on our long bus ride.

1490934086512-0aee2d3a-bc7d-4d2e-b4e5-dc7e7aa278b7_.jpg

1490934161771-4c8a20fe-e18b-44af-a8fc-a0dda91b3e24_.jpg

1490934893775-4a9d456f-9800-4fd9-810d-d2f422b1783f_.jpg

Is there an 850 or a P:R: Connection, an Rverter? somewhere in here?  Connecting the portable to the Atari would be something I'D do for sure, and that would need a serialface of some description.

Best,

jeff

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moonlight_mile said:

I know this is for old pics but I just spent a number of hours cleaning up my Atari Desk so I figured I would share it here. All the Percoms work. The Atr-8000 is still a work in progress. 

I see in the photo that I'm the last caller on Alcatraz! :)

• Like 2

First picture is from about 1984.  My original Atari 800XL and Rana 1000 disk drive.

Second picture is from around 1989 or 90 (It's a composite picture to show both my 800XL setup and my ST setup

The 19" monitor was pulled from a coin-op video game and monted without a back into the computer hutch (my dad fixed coin-op games for a living).  The red dial was for the speaker.  The next shelf over shows a modem (Supra 1200 baud) and two Atari XF551 disk drives. Above that were 2 switch boxes.  One to share the printer and the other to share the modem.  Above that, the always essential disk notcher.  I was given the Atari 520 STFm by Atari.  Our local Computer group (MilAtari in Milwaukee) helped run A Midi Maze event at the GenCon gaming show.  

The third picture shows from around 1994 shows my updated ST setup.  I bumped the memory up to 4 meg.  There was a color and mono monitor.  The gray box on the right held a 105mb hard drive (paid $600 for the drive and case).  I later added a CDRom drive Tape backup drive and Syquest 105mb to the case.

I still have all of the equipment except for the built in monitor.

001 (2).jpg

002.png

003 (2).jpg

• Like 8

Really cool!  Your setup looks like you were using all this for actual work instead of just playing around like alot of us!

I am genuinely curious about your dad's work  Did the video game crash really affect your dad's career or how did he adjust when that all went down, or did he even have to?

Edited by Max_Chatsworth

No most of the time it was just playing around.  My dad worked for a company that fixed and sold jukeboxes, vending machines and video games.  He retired around 1982 so missed the video game crash.  

He passed away back in 1987.  I still have a whole ring of keys he had from his jukebox days.  When I was young he'd have to go out on service calls to repair the jukeboxes.  When I was in Junior High and High School I would occasionally take the bus to his work, after school, and play the games in the display area.  Just had to open the coin door and flip the coin counter.  Then I'd ride home with him after he finished work.  He was a Ham radio enthusiast and that's what got him into that line of work.  Guess that's also where I get my love of computers and messing around with electronics.  I build most of my own computers and once put a Mega ST into a tower case.  Didn't work out as well as I planned.  Mounting a board meant to rest horizontally in a vertical case caused the chips to come loose and crash the board.  Now that I've had time I'm starting to work on mounting a mini PC into an 800Xl case and/or a ST case.  Should keep me busing for a while.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, djglish said:

No most of the time it was just playing around.  My dad worked for a company that fixed and sold jukeboxes, vending machines and video games.  He retired around 1982 so missed the video game crash.  

He passed away back in 1987.  I still have a whole ring of keys he had from his jukebox days.  When I was young he'd have to go out on service calls to repair the jukeboxes.  When I was in Junior High and High School I would occasionally take the bus to his work, after school, and play the games in the display area.  Just had to open the coin door and flip the coin counter.  Then I'd ride home with him after he finished work.  He was a Ham radio enthusiast and that's what got him into that line of work.  Guess that's also where I get my love of computers and messing around with electronics.  I build most of my own computers and once put a Mega ST into a tower case.  Didn't work out as well as I planned.  Mounting a board meant to rest horizontally in a vertical case caused the chips to come loose and crash the board.  Now that I've had time I'm starting to work on mounting a mini PC into an 800Xl case and/or a ST case.  Should keep me busing for a while.

Thanks for sharing your story about your dad.  Memories live on in our common interests.  My dad always had a few electronics around the basement to tinker with...he once got everything to recreate an Apollo capsule control panel, but never got around to building it.  He also got us our Atari 400 then 800XL computers, along with basic and some hardware/assembly programming manuals for it. I never really understood why..but later it dawned on me that he thought he'd be able to tinker with it, but work, mortgages, saving for family vacations and baseball/skating/you name it practice for 5 kids and you know how it goes. I've only got 2 kids and it puts your own hobbies out of mind that's for sure...and so now with age and some wisdom behind me, I can put myself in his shoes. I'm a software engineer to this day, and I do need to tell him sometime how much I appreciate what he did for us in that regard.

That's a really cool idea to put a modern PC in an Atari retro case.

Edited by Max_Chatsworth
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, TomDarth5 said:

Loving this thread BTW.

Here is a picture of me getting my Atari VCS for Christmas and my brother (Sadly no longer with us due to a brain tumor) getting his Tamiya holiday buggy R/C car and banjo set.

Ah the memories 

Atari Christmas.jpg

Happy for you to have these tangible memories of your brother.  I love these old school Christmas photos from the early 80's.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I lived in Germany for a couple of years in the 80's and our sideboard was a Schrank

Mamma went to a Catholic girl's finishing school in LA.  The family was working-class, but those were the days one hoped to marry a doctor or whatever.  She could fold napkins like 40 different ways, knew how to instruct the servants, how to eat an orange with a knife and fork....  Oh the school was "Marywood".  Always in finger quotes whenever she mentioned it.  Kindof a family joke.

Jeff