IGNORED

Old pictures of our Atari 8-bit setups

chad5200

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 2:39 PM, David_P said:

Doing some cleanup, and found this: the price list from Irwin Electronics (Canadian Atari distributor) from January 1st, 1983.  (Divide by about 1.25 to convert from Canadian dollars into US dollars).

Atari Canada 1983 Price List.pdf 1.46 MB · 47 downloads

Star Trux? typo for sure. lol

999.00 for a A800 in 1983,crazy! I think I paid under $300 USD for my 800XL in September of 83. I did so much work around the house and grandparents house to earn the cash to get it. But luckily may father meet me halfway.. and Christmas the 1050 made it way under the tree. Ohh.. sorry , no pictures.. 

edit: wow! was I wrong: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-star-trux_5005.html

Edited by Zeptari1

1 hour ago, Zeptari1 said:

Star Trux? typo for sure. lol

999.00 for a A800 in 1983,crazy! I think I paid under $300 USD for my 800XL in September of 83. I did so much work around the house and grandparents house to earn the cash to get it. But luckily may father meet me halfway.. and Christmas the 1050 made it way under the tree. Ohh.. sorry , no pictures.. 

edit: wow! was I wrong: http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-star-trux_5005.html

That's actually not a bad game.  Managed to get it on cart awhile back.

I wasn‘t aware Pilot was so much more expensive than the other languages. 

What‘s also interesting on that price list is the total omission of the ‚CX’ before product numbers and the 870 F/S keyboard for the 400. Must have been a B-key or the like sold by Irwin.

6 hours ago, husting said:

I can't tell you guys I'm jealous I am that you have old pictures of your setup.  I so wish I had pictures of mine from back in the day.

Don't feel bad. All I have is a picture of my Commodore 64 which I returned after two weeks to buy my 800XL. :)

If you have an Atari 8-bit now you can always post a pic in the thread about 'Your Atari 8-bit setup now'.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, husting said:

I can't tell you guys I'm jealous I am that you have old pictures of your setup.  I so wish I had pictures of mine from back in the day.

I found a picture of myself sitting in front of the computer but the computer is not in the picture.

On 4/3/2021 at 11:56 AM, husting said:

Welcome to AtariAge!  I *hated* having my picture taken as a kid, so I don't have very many pictures either, but in some ways I now wish that I did.

On a related note ... if I may, I'd like to add a coda to the picture I posted earlier, which showed me playing Archon II at my grandparents' house during one of our many Christmas visits over the years.  My grandfather has since passed away, and my grandmother is now living with others in the family, so the decision was made to sell the house.  Christmas 2020 was the last Christmas before the sale—the house was dark and empty by then, but in keeping with tradition I paid one last visit, this time going back alone to take some pictures and to bid farewell to the place.

While I was there, I recognized the exact spot where their Atari and all its gear had been set up 30+ years before.  I didn't happen to have any of that stuff with me, of course—though it's all safely packed away in storage—but I did have a laptop and Altirra, which was enough to stage a quick "re-enactment":

20201225_172039.thumb.jpg.9bb3cd72334b030cc077224c8e3647f2.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2021 at 6:10 PM, Alfred said:

Found a few more pictures. First shows the two BBS slave machines (under the window) running the Puff BBS. Only the left XL answered the phone, I used the other to rarely chat with people on the BBS. Sticker on that 1050 tells me it's a USD drive. The next shows my original programming setup, circa 1992 I believe. The stack of 1050's didn't get used much since I had the mux. Last two are an early mux setup. The drive on top of the cabinet is a 47MB that I got for the super-low price of $650 back then. Inside the cabinet, the 8" 80MB Quantum drive is still in service, some cheap Adaptec controller on top. I'm not sure, the drive on the floor might be one of the 20MB 8" Quantums that Puff initially gave me, they went out of service when the 80MB arrived. The printer will be a Panasonic 1091, I had retired the Atari 1029 by then. As for the calendar, I had to bring that home from the office. People started complaining about it seeing it hanging on the wall in my cubicle. Heathens.

IMG_0004.jpg

Nice setup Alfred!  The amount of dust on that XL suggests it ran for a very long time without intervention.  What was the name of your BBS? (I'm assuming it was local to the GTA)

The Toronto Sun Sunshine girls - the first page of the newspaper anyone ever turned to :-)

• Like 1

On 4/4/2021 at 9:50 AM, bandit said:

I had hair in 80 LOL!!! The Atari 800, I have same one today. it has Incognito installed.

combine_images.jpg

Is that an Atari 400 in the first shot? I assume this is the history of your setup?

I love the XL series for features, but damn an original 800 is a nice looking machine. Every time I get a new retro computer and my cousin finds out about it, the first thing she asks is 'will it play Ghostbusters'?

I love how you've got shots of the system evolving.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Is that an Atari 400 in the first shot? I assume this is the history of your setup?

I love the XL series for features, but damn an original 800 is a nice looking machine. Every time I get a new retro computer and my cousin finds out about it, the first thing she asks is 'will it play Ghostbusters'?

I love how you've got shots of the system evolving.

Yes, with a magnavox TV and yes that Those are all over time, I did get a XL about 86 for a couple games that required The XL. 

I Still have that Chair And Big desk today .

• 2 months later...
On 3/9/2021 at 6:10 PM, Alfred said:

Found a few more pictures. First shows the two BBS slave machines (under the window) running the Puff BBS. Only the left XL answered the phone, I used the other to rarely chat with people on the BBS. Sticker on that 1050 tells me it's a USD drive. The next shows my original programming setup, circa 1992 I believe. The stack of 1050's didn't get used much since I had the mux. Last two are an early mux setup. The drive on top of the cabinet is a 47MB that I got for the super-low price of $650 back then. Inside the cabinet, the 8" 80MB Quantum drive is still in service, some cheap Adaptec controller on top. I'm not sure, the drive on the floor might be one of the 20MB 8" Quantums that Puff initially gave me, they went out of service when the 80MB arrived. The printer will be a Panasonic 1091, I had retired the Atari 1029 by then. As for the calendar, I had to bring that home from the office. People started complaining about it seeing it hanging on the wall in my cubicle. Heathens.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

This last shot must have been 1993 or so, long enough for you to have gotten a MUX and long enough for the machine to collect that much dust.  I had a MUX too, in 1993-ish, ran my bbs on one slave and my personal machine as the other.  I see you are using an MIO, but I used a BLack Box with Floppy board for my HDD solution.  Some years before I'd owned a 1meg MIO and had it die on me twice.  ICD was not gracious about it AT ALL, kinda soured me on the MIO.

OH!, and NICE TITS!  ?

Jeff

Edited by Jeffrey Worley
Forgot to complement the pinup photo.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Jeffrey Worley said:

This last shot must have been 1993 or so, long enough for you to have gotten a MUX and long enough for the machine to collect that much dust.  I had a MUX too, in 1993-ish, ran my bbs on one slave and my personal machine as the other.  I see you are using an MIO, but I used a BLack Box with Floppy board for my HDD solution.  Some years before I'd owned a 1meg MIO and had it die on me twice.  ICD was not gracious about it AT ALL, kinda soured me on the MIO.

OH!, and NICE TITS!  ?

Jeff

I had both, the first Black Box is connected to my programming system while the MIO handled the hard disks. I got another BB to take over as the mux host drive when I got the 210MB drive. My first 1MB MIO died early on and I personally delivered it to ICD in Illinois, met Harker and company. It got fixed and never crapped out again, but I rarely used it in the BB era.

On 4/9/2020 at 4:15 PM, toddtmw said:

Red shag carpet? Check. 
Dark wood paneling? Check. 
Latch hook rug? (Both working on one and one hanging on the wall.) Check and Check. 
Giant, complicated antenna with plastic base? Check. 
Wood grained, plastic TV? Check. 

Yes. This is an AUTHENTIC picture from BITD!

It's a lot more cozy than today's bland all-white labs with stainless steel appliances to store all those specimen samples in... :lol:

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 5:15 PM, toddtmw said:

Red shag carpet? Check. 
Dark wood paneling? Check. 
Latch hook rug? (Both working on one and one hanging on the wall.) Check and Check. 
Giant, complicated antenna with plastic base? Check. 
Wood grained, plastic TV? Check. 

Yes. This is an AUTHENTIC picture from BITD!

OH, I think someone forgot "Wood burning stove in the living room with an actual kettle on it!"