IGNORED

Old pictures of our Atari 8-bit setups

chad5200

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, these pictures are awesome!!! Hahah...

I never grew up with an Atari computer, but my mom bought an Atari 2600 back in the late 1970s... and we had that pretty much forever. I still have the original games, but the system itself fried. I probably have a couple of pictures of that.

For me, we got our first computer in 1985. It was an 8088 Kay Pro PC... (which I still have)

Kaypro_Desktop_System_s1.jpg

On 9/2/2020 at 8:08 AM, TomDarth5 said:

Loving this thread BTW.

Here is a picture of me getting my Atari VCS for Christmas and my brother (Sadly no longer with us due to a brain tumor) getting his Tamiya holiday buggy R/C car and banjo set.

Sorry about that man, I lost my brother too...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Man, these pictures are awesome!!! Hahah...

I never grew up with an Atari computer, but my mom bought an Atari 2600 back in the late 1970s... and we had that pretty much forever. I still have the original games, but the system itself fried. I probably have a couple of pictures of that.

For me, we got our first computer in 1985. It was an 8088 Kay Pro PC... (which I still have)

Kaypro_Desktop_System_s1.jpg

Sorry about that man, I lost my brother too...

No problem mate sorry for your loss too 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 11:24 PM, jaybird3rd said:

Well, I have the hardware packed away in storage at the moment (I'm waiting until I can safely set it up in a permanent home), but here is a quick picture that I just took of my original "back-in-the-day" disk collection ...

image.jpeg

Most of these disks were made in the 1984-1985 time frame. The disk with Archon II on it (the front-most disk on the left) is the same one shown in my picture; you can see it sitting on top of the 1050, underneath the BASIC cartridge. It's still usable, as are most of the disks in this collection, although I've long since archived them to ATRs.

A bit of trivia: I'm pretty sure that "Gemini Enterprises," the name and address of which is printed on the translator disk on the right, was the Atari dealer where my grandparents originally bought the 800 and 800XL. Cedar Knolls, NJ was a quick drive from their home (at the time) in Parsippany.

I got a catalog from Gemini Enterprises. I will scan it soon and post it.

• Like 2

On 5/3/2019 at 11:24 PM, jaybird3rd said:

A bit of trivia: I'm pretty sure that "Gemini Enterprises," the name and address of which is printed on the translator disk on the right, was the Atari dealer where my grandparents originally bought the 800 and 800XL. Cedar Knolls, NJ was a quick drive from their home (at the time) in Parsippany.

Which of these was it?

1130450551_ScreenShot2021-08-22at6_48_04PM.thumb.png.1964ce34f2511460f93c94c50a658e99.png

Or for that matter... was that strip mall even what was in that location back in the day?  All those businesses list that as the address, so I'm wondering if at one point, that wasn't a single building that got knocked down during the "build strip malls" craze.

/s

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2021 at 6:05 PM, toddtmw said:

Which of these was it?

On 8/22/2021 at 6:53 PM, Tillek said:

Or for that matter... was that strip mall even what was in that location back in the day?  All those businesses list that as the address, so I'm wondering if at one point, that wasn't a single building that got knocked down during the "build strip malls" craze.

Excellent questions both.  I don't believe I ever visited the place in person; if I did, I have no memory of it (I would have been very young at the time), and my grandfather is no longer with us to ask about it. :(

In a fast-changing place like north Jersey, I wouldn't be at all surprised if nothing remains of the original location.  Too many of the other places that I remember in that area are also gone.

Well, it doesn't even need to be a "fast-changing" place.  I moved to a city 6 years ago that was home to one of two local Atari stores and I'm not even sure which unit of the building it was from back in the 90's... even with Google's help.

Funny thing is, there is a small chance the unit is now a law office for an old gradeschool classmate of mine.

I should see if I can get a look in the basement and see if anything was left behind all these decades... ;)

/s

2 hours ago, Tillek said:

Well, it doesn't even need to be a "fast-changing" place.  I moved to a city 6 years ago that was home to one of two local Atari stores and I'm not even sure which unit of the building it was from back in the 90's... even with Google's help.

Funny thing is, there is a small chance the unit is now a law office for an old gradeschool classmate of mine.

I should see if I can get a look in the basement and see if anything was left behind all these decades... ;)

/s

You'd be surprised what you find in basements and cubby holes etc. you might find a pile of Atari stuff. Or a bunch of dust and dead things

Edited by _The Doctor__

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2021 at 7:53 PM, Tillek said:

Or for that matter... was that strip mall even what was in that location back in the day? 

I live in NJ and went there a few times in the late 80s.  Yes, as I recall it was in a strip mall,  though I would have no idea which store.  2 friends got their 1040ST computers there,  and I bought a few 8bit games. Only other thing I can recall about it was that it was run by on older (50s)  guy, thin, with gray hair and glasses. 

A thing of beauty. :)  

But am I interpreting that right?  2.16m x 1.8m on the hard drive enclosure?  Meters?

That doesn't look like it could be right... but either way, the thing still looks massive!

And you gotta love those Amdek color monitors.  Got two myself.  Used to run TVAG off it, but now it is on the "workbench".

Got 3 of those Amdeks and 2 C= 1702s.  While I think the picture on the 1702 is a little better, the Amdeks are more versatile.

I still have that HD case and you're right, it is a beast.  It has an Adaptec 4000a controller card on one side of it and the ST-251 on the other.  This was what was used before the Warerat 1.4 MIO firmware existed.  The partitions are 2 -16meg and 1 8meg.

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, stushug said:

I found another picture, I'm guessing sometime in 1989. This time it's my son with me and he was born in Jan 1989

baby ben atari 800.jpg

Cool.  I was just graduating high school in 89 and my kids have zero interest in retro computing stuff.  They've played a few games with me on my 400 and 800xl  computers..but  nothing ever stuck. 

On 10/25/2021 at 3:45 PM, Max_Chatsworth said:

Cool.  I was just graduating high school in 89 and my kids have zero interest in retro computing stuff.  They've played a few games with me on my 400 and 800xl  computers..but  nothing ever stuck. 

My son is 32 now and has no interest in the Atari 800, but his daughter, who is 11, loves it !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stushug said:

My son is 32 now and has no interest in the Atari 800, but his daughter, who is 11, loves it !

I guess at that age(32) he's at a bit of an in between age. By the time He was a kid, modern PC's with much more games/computing power were available, so he didn't grow up on the 8 bits, and a little too old to be part of the younger crowd that has seemed to get into retro computing.  

1 hour ago, Keatah said:

Ask them what they like or dislike about it.

I think if all you've known is Halo, Call of Duty, Red Dead redemption, Battlefield series, etc...it's pretty hard to take interest in an old 8 bit game. It's just underwhelming for them and there's no nostalgic attachment for them.  

• Like 2