IGNORED

New CX80 Trak ball does not work

cvdh1983

I recently bought a new in box old stock unused CX80 Trak ball. It doesn't work in TB mode. I tested it with the Atari age trak ball hack series. It does work in joy stick mode on other regular 2600 games.

It cycles through the game variations number at the title screen on its own, graphics glitch, the game is unplayable and then it freezes with horizontal stripes.

I can return the trak ball but I'm a bit paranoid that the other two new ones on Ebay will be from the same faulty supply.

Has anybody experienced this. Can someone repair this for me? I would be so grateful.

Desperate to play Millipede TB with it

Does anybody know where to get a schematic for this thing? There's supposedly a field service manual, but I can't find it online.

(And, Google, when I put in the search term "schematic", that is not the same thing as "manual").

Does anybody know where to get a schematic for this thing? There's supposedly a field service manual, but I can't find it online.

(And, Google, when I put in the search term "schematic", that is not the same thing as "manual").

I traced a schematic based on some high res pictures of the board a while ago:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/243434-what-2600-titles-couldshould-have-trak-ball-support-added/page-5?do=findComment&comment=3378592

AFAIK the official service manual is not available anywhere.

Tim Worthington has confirmed that the Trak Ball is incompatible with the RGB mod. A switch needs to be installed to deactivate the extra button. Can anyone do this mod for me?

Does the CX80 have independent 7800 compatible buttons or something?

I'm sure there are a lot of people who could do the mod. It's probably simple but we'd need additional information about the incompatibility in question (I don't know who Tim is so I can't reason it out from that info.

You might narrow down the pool of potential fixers by giving your location.

Edit: I looked at the above referenced schematic and don't see a reason that one of the fire buttons would be different from the other. So I must be missing or misunderstanding something.

What/where is the extra button that must be disabled?

The CX80 has no 7800 compatible buttons.
Tim Worthington created the RGB mod that renders my system incompatible with the Trak Ball.

I'm in Belgium, Europe but I don't mind shipping it to the States.

For more information about this situation check out what I posted today in the thread 'Trak ball games'

I use this Trak Ball for recoded hacks by Atari Age for games like Centipede. These new versions make the game playable in true trackball/analog mod.

Here's why this doesn't work with my RGB-modded Atari:

The mod includes the ability to mount an "extra" switch on the left joystick for additional functions (palette select and remote "reset" and "select" switches functionality). The extra button activates the inputs normally used for left and right direction of the joystick at the same time. This is an "impossible" combination for a joystick, but not for a trackball in real TB mode, which therefore randomly activates the extra features of my RGB mod (in particular, it activates the reset and select switches repeatedly making the game impossible to play).

The console needs to be modified to temporarily disable the "extra" button functionality with a switch.

A simple switch to break the wire going to either pin 3 or 4 of the "extra" 7 pins connector on the RGB board might be all that's needed.