IGNORED

the New BittBoy

Flojomojo

The BittBoy was a teeny weeny emulator dingus that could run Gameboy, Gameboy Color, and NES ROMs quite well, with a bright IPS screen and decent controls. My D-pad was a little squeaky but nothing to cry about for the ~$30 I paid. It was cute.

They're now shipping this thing with the Dingoo firmware that can run many more emulator cores. The GB/GBC/NES emulators are just as good, but now MAME, GBA, Genesis, SMS, SNES, NEC, Doom, Rise of the Triad, and more are on board. You'll need to do a little tweaking to make things nice, but this good thing got even better, and the price remains the same.

Oh, and my v2 handheld no longer has squeaky controls.

I like it! Actually, I like both!

now I've gotta figure out if I can get the Odyssey 2 and Colecovision emulators going on this little toy.

• Like 1

I dunno, it doesn't list them, but it could/should be easy to add another program. I ordered one on sight and will give it a try when it arrives. These little Linux handhelds are better for games than Android despite their weak hardware.

Why better then android ?

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

Sounds like Pocket Go is getting rave reviews on YouTube. Mine should arrive tomorrow. Neat that it has Atari Lynx and Atari 2600 right out of the box!

Here's a nice text review in the meantime. 

https://obscurehandhelds.com/2019/06/is-the-pocket-go-really-that-good/

Wow this looks great for the price.  Looks my original BitBoy might be retired and added to my personal mini-museum of the unused (otherwise known as the basement shelf).

• Haha 1

Hey...IPS screen tearing issues?  You all see the stories in the last week or two circling the GBA modding world?  People thought they found this Chinese alternative IPS panel that was too good to be true as it was notably cheaper than killing 101's for panels, but after people had them installed one story after another popped up about IPS tearing, a horizontal ripple effect as the screen scrolls.  I wonder if that Pocket GO uses the same panel or same panel tech from a shared factory??  That device looks like a real treasure to use though and very strange with those above and beyond touches for chinese after market stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

After making the last Pocket-Go video I wrote off to BittBoy explaining that most people were not happy about the screen refresh rate and tearing. Well guess what? They might actually address this issue. In this video I show you their response, more emulations testing and some of the ported Linux games running on the Pocket-Go.

• Like 1

On a PocketGo:  For the life of me, I cannot get my Windows 7 computer to assign a drive letter to  anything but the boot partition of the micro SD card.  As a result, I cannot add my own ROMs to the card.  Disk Management can see the partition, but it cannot assign a drive letter, so I cannot get to it.  I tried downloading custom firmware using instrucions at https://jutleys.wixsite.com/bittboynew4u/post/preorder-the-new-bittboy-pocket-go-35-99-ships-on-15th-june-2019, but that didn't help.  In fact, it wiped out the ROMs that came with it, so I'm in worse shape than when I started.  

I use Mac OS or Linux for moving ROMs around because the file systems are more compatible. 

If all you have is Windows 7, it would be safer to set up a quick virtual machine than mess with the partitions on the microSD card. The PocketGo won't boot right if you don't have a properly formatted card. 

easy peasy https://linuxhint.com/install_linuxmint_19_virtualbox/

• Like 1

I'm going to flash the custom firmware, using these instructions, which seem complete and well-written. Wish me luck. If nothing else, it should fix the reversed buttons, and maybe help a little with the screen tearing (which isn't great, but isn't a showstopper either at this price). 

It went fine, and it is a little bit better as a result --especially with having the buttons mapped properly. 

This thing is my go-to recommendation for a tiny retro game machine, as long as someone doesn't mind a small screen and doing a tony bit of out-of-the-box setup work. 

• Like 1