IGNORED

the New BittBoy

Flojomojo

My expectations must have been way too high, because this is a purchase I regret.  I was hoping this would be a decent go-to for GBA gaming.  The processor is just too slow.  There's enough lag in the GBA emulator that it throw off gameplay.  Forget about the NES emulator.  I'd call that one unplayable.  The GB emulator is good enough.  I haven't tried the rest, because 8GB (like 6.5 usable) isn't a lot of space.  I could buy a bigger micro SD card, but it doesn't seem worth the bother.

Unfortunately I have an unopened BittBoy that I bought right before this arrive.  I'm sure that'll be the same experience.

I'm running custom firmware 1.1.  My particular unit also has a problem with the screen, where it looks like it wasn't installed properly.  See  the white lite at the top of the attached photo.  Trying to work with China to return or exchange it is frustrating, to say the least.  Between this and the Bittboy that I've yet to try, this is probably $75 I'll

just write off as a bad decision.  I don't understand all the gushing reviews of this.20190718_205211.thumb.jpg.3d206c71d5fba94acd5a39c80e13c742.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got around to opening and checking out the BittBoy I received weeks ago.  So far, I like it much better than the PocketGo.  That screen is really nice, and I don't notice any light bleed with it.  There's a little scratch in the black bezel where light comes through, and that's annoying, but for the price point? I guess that's to be expected.  Side by side, the BittBoy feels like a better build than the PocketGo.  The NES emulator is still shit, which is too bad.  Everything else that I'd expect to be playable is, though.  I'm not really expecting much from SNES and up.

A volume wheel would be nice.  You can change volume to a few presets with select and A or B, but you're stuck with those set levels with nothing in between.  I'm also not sure about the form factor, as far as comfort goes.  Maybe I just hold it weird, but I couldn't play this for long stretches.

Edited by dgdgagdae

The newer BittBoys can be easily flashed with custom firmware which fix a bunch of issues. 

I just received an rg300, which is a better size, and the screen is nicer than I expected (though not as good as the bright IPS on the smaller units). It's quite comfortable and the speed for SNES games is good. There's no built in Atari 2600 emulator so I'll need to remedy that. 

https://obscurehandhelds.com/tag/rg300/

I now have a ridiculous array of game boy type things. Every one of them has a small flaw (small size, no SD support, bad aspect ratio) but they're getting better all the time. I guess I should have an eBay sale to flush out my favorites, but with new variants coming all the time, why would anyone pay real $$ for my stuff?

• Like 1