IGNORED

Any must do mods for the Jaguar?

Diederikgr

So I'll soon be getting my hands on a Jaguar after being on the hunt for one for awhile and was wondering if there's any weaknesses to keep in mind with these things. The Lynx for example had quite a poorly designed (in terms of safety) voltage regulator that could pass the batteries' or AC adapter's voltage directly to the sensitive IC's. I've been reading that the Jaguar is also a bit problematic with power as there's no safety for reversing the polarity of the AC adapter. People apparently killing their Jaguars when they plug Mega Drive or SNES power supplies in.

Edited by Diederikgr

Well you can actually use the megadrive or Genesis or SMS power supply on the Jag hardware just fine. My Jag is powered with a model 1 Genesis adapter and has been for like 15+ years without issue. My JagCD has an actual Jag PSU on it. If you look at the Jag supplies and the Genesis supplies, they even appear to have been made from the same company as they share the same case shell for the PSUs and wire quality type.

Anyway, a NES power supply is what I think most people use that will kill them, or any supply that has the same size jack but reversed polarity. But I just wanted to make sure you were aware that in regards the Genesis and (I would assume the MD) PSUs they should be compatible with the Jag.

Well you can actually use the megadrive or Genesis or SMS power supply on the Jag hardware just fine. My Jag is powered with a model 1 Genesis adapter and has been for like 15+ years without issue. My JagCD has an actual Jag PSU on it. If you look at the Jag supplies and the Genesis supplies, they even appear to have been made from the same company as they share the same case shell for the PSUs and wire quality type.

Anyway, a NES power supply is what I think most people use that will kill them, or any supply that has the same size jack but reversed polarity. But I just wanted to make sure you were aware that in regards the Genesis and (I would assume the MD) PSUs they should be compatible with the Jag.

That'll make it a little easier as I have a couple of Sega psu's laying about, but I'll check the polarity either way. Just that the Jaguar has nothing to protect itself against reverse polarity has me a bit worried.

A 50/60hz switch is always nice on the Jag.

I'm guessing this is a must as I'll be getting a PAL version. Good thing it seems as easy as on the Mega Drive (Genesis).

Yeah, it's not difficult.

It's a good idea for it to be switchable as well because some games are actually optimised for 50hz (Tempest for instance runs with a more consistent framerate and at a higher resolution at 50hz).

Interesting, I'll have to check this out.

If you are going to put a 50/60Hz switch, I suggest you also put in a reset-switch. Will probably come in handy and save on powercycling once Saints SD-cart is available.

You won't need to power cycle.

Holding the # and * keys will take you back to the menu, according to Saint.

So, for the 60Hz mod... can someone explain to me exactly what it is that it's doing? I assumed this was the frequency refresh rate of the screen, but apparently that's not the case? All the videos just show that the video comes taller. Does this have an effect on the aspect? It seems to look fine, but I don't particularly see any difference in video speed (which is what I assumed). Am I just gaining video real estate on the top and bottom?

Thanks!

So, for the 60Hz mod... can someone explain to me exactly what it is that it's doing?

Well it's ten more Hz, isn't it? It's not 50. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at 50. You're on 50 here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on 50 on your Jag. Where can you go from there? Where?

Well it's ten more Hz, isn't it? It's not 50. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at 50. You're on 50 here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on 50 on your Jag. Where can you go from there? Where?

Hah... thanks.

Apart from the refresh rate, the number of lines are different. https://www.movavi.com/learning-portal/ntsc-vs-pal-which-is-better.html explains it in a quite good to understand way.

Whenever I'd visit my family in the Netherlands in the 80s and 90s, I'd always noticed that the television stations always looked clearer, even on what I thought were older televisions. So this definitely makes sense.

Thanks for the link, it basically says more lines... I always thought PAL was 480 and NTSC was 320 or something absurd, but I guess NTSC is 480 and PAL is 600+. So, obviously then... I'm getting better resolution, and a clearer picture, PLUS... the frame-rate is more clear and consistent.

Am I correct in this assumption?

I also assume that new TVs have no problems handling both PAL and NTSC?

This mod seems super-easy... the only question I have is, why wouldn't I just want to permanently bridge the leads with a resistor? Why do I even want to put it on a switch like all the videos have? I only have one ancient television, and it's going the second I move again. So... it should be a non-issue, correct?

Third question (sorry / thanks), if I'm using S-VIDEO or SCART, the 60Hz is still a benefit, right?

Thanks for the link, it basically says more lines... I always thought PAL was 480 and NTSC was 320 or something absurd, but I guess NTSC is 480 and PAL is 600+. So, obviously then... I'm getting better resolution, and a clearer picture, PLUS... the frame-rate is more clear and consistent.

Am I correct in this assumption?

I also assume that new TVs have no problems handling both PAL and NTSC?

This mod seems super-easy... the only question I have is, why wouldn't I just want to permanently bridge the leads with a resistor? Why do I even want to put it on a switch like all the videos have? I only have one ancient television, and it's going the second I move again. So... it should be a non-issue, correct?

Third question (sorry / thanks), if I'm using S-VIDEO or SCART, the 60Hz is still a benefit, right?

Sorry for the bump... just was hoping I could get my thoughts confirmed here. I'd rather ask stupid questions and know the answer, than not and lose out on potential awesome.

Thanks...

There's a lot to get your head around. There's the transport method like SCART, that can carry RGB, S-Video or Composite signals, they can be NTSC, PAL or SECAM standards at different refresh rates (50/60Hz). I went through a lot of it ages ago from a UK perspective in a blog here when I re-started my retro journey. Initially with panels and scalers, eventually fully re-embracing CRTs.

As for the Jag. The 50/60Hz switch is a nice to have. If you're into Tempest 2000 however, a spinner controller is a must and it's really easy to DIY if you're handy with an iron.

Edited by juansolo
  • Like 2

There's a lot to get your head around. There's the transport method like SCART, that can carry RGB, S-Video or Composite signals, they can be NTSC, PAL or SECAM standards at different refresh rates (50/60Hz). I went through a lot of it ages ago from a UK perspective in a blog here when I re-started my retro journey. Initially with panels and scalers, eventually fully re-embracing CRTs.

As for the Jag. The 50/60Hz switch is a nice to have. If you're into Tempest 2000 however, a spinner controller is a must and it's really easy to DIY if you're handy with an iron.

Thanks for responding. I looked up a bunch of videos, and quite literally... the video processor runs faster, that's how it was explained to me.

In this video, the guy literally says the processor runs faster, though... not sure why processor speed makes any difference at all for the video refresh rate... but if it's like this guy's video (Sega Genesis), then shit... I'm all for a faster processor. I'm ridiculously impatient and would rather all the games run faster.

Obviously, I realize there's more lines too... and I'm OK with that.

Thanks!

Page two of the blog I posted explains the refresh rate and the resolution difference between PAL and NTSC. Basically why PAL/50 appears to be a squished version of the NTSC/60 'full screen' image (in many instances) and the speed difference. Games that were written with the PAL market in mind often run better on PAL machines. This is more evident on 8-bit computers that were popular in Europe, but Tempest on the Jag is another good example. So having it switchable, especially when it's so easy to do so, is preferable.

Edited by juansolo

(Getting a bit on slippery ice here as I don't know all in and outs) As for NTSC consoles/ "home" computers being faster is also because they usually derive or based the clockspeed of the CPU from the frequency of the sub carrier ( quadrature amplitude modulated subcarrier) of the used format (NTSC/PAL/SECAM). NTSC systems run slightly faster than PAL systems.

In this totally digital time PAL/NTSC/SECAM should be totally absolete, but remain a factor as the media providers/industry love to have a divided world. It's all marketing now and has nothing to do with the abilities of the technology used.

I never had any problems running NTSC stuff on the TV's I have/had , but in other regions of the world that might be different.

(Getting a bit on slippery ice here as I don't know all in and outs) As for NTSC consoles/ "home" computers being faster is also because they usually derive or based the clockspeed of the CPU from the frequency of the sub carrier ( quadrature amplitude modulated subcarrier) of the used format (NTSC/PAL/SECAM). NTSC systems run slightly faster than PAL systems.

In this totally digital time PAL/NTSC/SECAM should be totally absolete, but remain a factor as the media providers/industry love to have a divided world. It's all marketing now and has nothing to do with the abilities of the technology used.

I never had any problems running NTSC stuff on the TV's I have/had , but in other regions of the world that might be different.

Thanks! I appreciate it.

I remember a long time ago in the 1980s... my parents bought a video camera in Europe that was PAL, and we went on vacation and recorded everything on VHS in PAL format. Then, when we came back to the US, I was going to give a presentation to the kids in my class about my trip to Egypt, and it was all jacked up because I was trying to play a PAL video in an NTSC VHS player. It was totally scrambled.

... good thing, because my dad caught me picking my nose on camera, and that was the last thing my friends in elementary school needed to see!