IGNORED

HSC16 Round 7: Deflektor

DEFLEKTOR

deflektor.png

Another single game short round; ending Sunday 12th May 9pm UK time. We can extend this if needed :)

Download: Fandal XEX

I guess Deflektor is a lesser known game so this round could be wide open. Looks like fun :)

The comments on atarimania undicate it was an Atari prototype but "executable by Fandal with all repeated levels replaced with original ones found on other platforms." so thanks to Fandal yet again :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Future Polls: As we only have a few players please each nominate a game to go into the next poll, I'll pick 4 from the choices. If this works out we can go with it for the rest of the season :idea:

GAME ON

• Like 2

Deflektor - 40990 pts, reached level 6

post-5454-0-76719400-1556922052.jpg

In my old notebook of C64 personal highscores, I used to 55144 pts, 58576 pts and finally 116166 pts on Deflektor though I don't know if the scoring mechanism is different on that version. I would have to play it again to determine if the scores are possible to compare.

As for my nominated game, the ones I posted in the Welcome thread were roughly ordered by desire to play which means my poll candidate would be Trailblazer (+ possible bonus game the Bounder inspired Let's Hop).

• Like 2

I've been catching up on HSC business: final tables for Baby Berks and Ten Liners round and the Season 16 Current Standings are updated with the last two rounds scores. I'm about to play Deflektor!!

This round is short so I'll start the next poll soon - So far we have Jet Boot Jack, Trail Blazer, Bounty Bob Strikes Back!, though I usually avoid two platformers in the same poll so perhaps another pick from Deteacher (as I know I have a busy 2 weeks coming and really would like to give you another serious run at it) l I'll leave Genesis in there... anyone else with a pick?

• Like 1

Had my first play, at first I thought "what a nice game" but after a few levels I can see that it's not as skillful as you think and as the overload time reduces it becomes less fun, unusually I played with music on, perhaps with the sound effects on you can hear the overload so that will be better.

I reached level 8 score 49,290.

Players can use the restart points to progress through the levels if they wish, I might do this to play 5 at a session :ponder:

post-19705-0-38245400-1557143997.jpg

post-19705-0-53930600-1557144005.jpg

• Like 1

I've been catching up on HSC business: final tables for Baby Berks and Ten Liners round and the Season 16 Current Standings are updated with the last two rounds scores. I'm about to play Deflektor!!

This round is short so I'll start the next poll soon - So far we have Jet Boot Jack, Trail Blazer, Bounty Bob Strikes Back!, though I usually avoid two platformers in the same poll so perhaps another pick from Deteacher (as I know I have a busy 2 weeks coming and really would like to give you another serious run at it) l I'll leave Genesis in there... anyone else with a pick?

Jr Pac Man or Blue Print

• Like 1

Jr Pac Man or Blue

Ok, I'll change my nomination to The Last Starfighter. :)
  • Like 1

Ok, I believe I have spotted a few differences between the C64 and Atari 8-bit versions.

Atari version: The gameplay feels faster. Things rotate faster, but overload generally takes more time meaning you are more likely able to remedy it. Once you clear the level, you don't seem to get any bonus for remaining time or lives.

C64 version: The opposite, is a bit slower to play but overload is faster so you need to think before you rotate the mirrors. This version gives you a small bonus for remaining time and lives, though on the long run I'm not sure how much difference it makes to the score.

Is the Atari version a commercial release or a WIP that Atari never released, got leaked and fixed up by Fandal?

Ok, you already wrote this...

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Had my first play, at first I thought "what a nice game" but after a few levels I can see that it's not as skillful as you think and as the overload time reduces it becomes less fun, unusually I played with music on, perhaps with the sound effects on you can hear the overload so that will be better.

post-19705-0-41554400-1557246217.jpg

I played again from the start, as I suspected much better with sound effects to react to the overcharge - lost all my lives on level 17, the bottom middle ball was very difficult to pop; I did get it eventually but was out before I completed the level.

Deflektor is "ok", probably one to complete but not the incentive to play again :ponder:

post-19705-0-53523200-1557246322.jpg

136,320 (messed up the name entry!)

• Like 1

I believe that is an M actually, so it would be JOM and AOM.

well that kinda crushes that then :P

perhaps not: UOM "Unit of Measure"

Looking like The Last Starfighter for the next round, not played it in a long time but have fond memories of the game :thumbsup:

OK thanks guys, thanks the Round 8 POLL... IS ALIVE !

Reminder this round is shorter than usual and ends Sunday 12th May 9pm UK time ;)

Started on level 15, level 17 was still tricky but played on through to completing level 40 then retired (on Normal difficulty), not sure how many levels there are.

326K I think, last photo didn't store.

If practice mode doesn't have the overcharge/timer and lets you do all the levels it would probably be the best way to play. Sound effects on either way.

post-19705-0-20751600-1557583068.jpg

post-19705-0-95003400-1557583076.jpg

post-19705-0-18597600-1557583089.jpg

• Like 1

After being stuck on Level 1 for quite some time I managed to complete a couple of levels. The one I died on was the one with the many mirrors.

63740 (didn't manage to enter my initals properly, so I'm SOM at number 5)

A nice puzzler with quite impressive graphics but I don't see that much replay value in this.

post-4219-0-47174100-1557607933.png

P.S.: Played this concurrent with a game of Catan against two of my kids passing around an iPad (a little less atmosphere than the board but sure beats keeping track of all that materials and points yourself).

• Like 2

That's it for this round, thanks for playing everyone. I think slx sums it up well:

A nice puzzler with quite impressive graphics but I don't see that much replay value in this.

I took the win, here are the final tables :)

final tables!

1st therealbountybob 136,320* 12pts
2nd slx 63,740 11pts
3rd carlsson 49,130 10pts
4th devwebcl 44,100 9pts
5th RedThunder 19,530 8pts
6th McKong 11,820 7pts

7th Sikor 10,590 6pts
8th roadrunner 8,190 5pts

*(also levels 15-40 326K)

Edited by therealbountybob
corrected - sorry guys!