IGNORED

Troubleshooting Multijoy

slx

I have one self-built Multijoy (which looks rather ugly inside with lots of "flying" diodes as well as one built using ivop's board but neither works.

I have checked the joystick extension cables for continuity and I have verified that I can get an output on PORTA (using one of these nice adapters).

When I hook up the breakout board to one of the Multijoy ports, the LEDs never light up.

Further than that I'm stumped on where else to look and what to look for.

I do have a voltmeter and a logic probe but lack the electronics knowledge to point them in the right direction.

Any ideas? I would love to take a Multijoy-equipped Atari to a small retro meeting next saturday which has "multiplayer" as its theme.

Thanks!

What are you plugging it into? There are issues with 1n4147 diodes on the 1088XEL, the voltage drop is too great. The only line without diodes is the fire buttons so if you get a working fire but no directionals it could be that.

Have you checked to make sure you got the joystick ports around the right way?

On the IVOP board how are you wiring to the Atari? there is this comment http://atariage.com/forums/topic/260287-multijoy8-pcb/?do=findComment&comment=3676231which might be a pointer.

This file was very useful for me when developing my Multijoy

Hardwaretester für Peripheriegeräte (2008, Florian Dingler)(en_DE) v2.xex

With it you can test almost every controller you can plug into the joystick ports (except the new three button joysticks, anyone got florians email address?!)

P.S. I still have a few Multijoys left if you would like one.

• Like 2

What are you plugging it into? There are issues with 1n4147 diodes on the 1088XEL, the voltage drop is too great. The only line without diodes is the fire buttons so if you get a working fire but no directionals it could be that.

I was testing it on a more or less stock 65XE. Fire buttons don't seem to work either.

Have you checked to make sure you got the joystick ports around the right way?

Thanks for this link. That could indeed be the culprit. I'm using ordinary Atari extension cords, not serial cables. I'll try swapping the connectors to the bottom of the PCB.

P.S. I still have a few Multijoys left if you would like one.

What are you asking for them? (Although that would mean admitting defeat....)

Happy to report that Mr. Robot's hint was helpful! I had built with female plugs (which need to go on the reverse side of the board) and after a lot of desoldering and wiggling I was able to remove them and mount them correctly. I must have killed a trace while doing this as down would not register. After bridging the gap with a piece of wire all is fine now. Now I am looking for some kind of case to hide this less than elegang solution (which will be a bit less elegant with the ports sticking out on the underside of the board).

Did anyone ever make a 3D case design for ivop's board?

Mine are $20 for a kit, $30 for one made with $5 for shipping in the US and $15 shipping everywhere else.

https://atari8bit.net/multijoy8/

@slx I'd have soldered the wires of the joystick extension straight to the board rather than mount the connectors on the board, how are you ever going to get that cased?!

Edited by Mr Robot

@slx I'd have soldered the wires of the joystick extension straight to the board rather than mount the connectors on the board, how are you ever going to get that cased?!

I‘ll stick with mine for now and will probably end up with a hump-backed or pot-bellied 3D-printed case once my son or even I get around designing one. I‘ll consider soldering the cables to the board for #2 though.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

• Like 1