IGNORED

The Intellivisionaries episode 36 is up!

In this episode we FINALLY review the Mattel Electronics game Shark! Shark! Paul interviews the game’s designer & programmer Ji Wen Tsao. Rick has a new Hobby Projects / Homebrew Highlight segment on the FW Diagnostic Cartridge and an Intellivision console repair. We also finally have the results of the Easter Egg Contest from episode 35. And we have Feedback, News, and more… although George didn’t show up for some reason? Maybe it was the shark?

• Like 9

We've been having some trouble with the podcast corrections robots - in particular British Siri, who neglected to add one of her corrections to episode 36 (at the 2:11:11 mark). She's still upset about all the Shark! Shark! game sounds in this episode, because she uses a couple of them for her corrections into/outro. However, I've just corrected her mistake, and uploaded a fixed mp3 file, and updated the timeline accordingly. If you use a podcast app or grab the file via RSS, you'll need to download the fixed version. Apologies for the error. I can't even blame the Reynolds Research Department this time!

• Like 1

We've been having some trouble with the podcast corrections robots - in particular British Siri, who neglected to add one of her corrections to episode 36 (at the 2:11:11 mark). She's still upset about all the Shark! Shark! game sounds in this episode, because she uses a couple of them for her corrections into/outro. However, I've just corrected her mistake, and uploaded a fixed mp3 file, and updated the timeline accordingly. If you use a podcast app or grab the file via RSS, you'll need to download the fixed version. Apologies for the error. I can't even blame the Reynolds Research Department this time!

http://intellivisionaries.com/episode-36-shark-shark/

A new variant; for the truly hard-core collectors out there

• Like 2

Woohoo! Been waiting on this! Got a 5 hour drive ahead of me tomorrow that improved. Thanks Nurmix, Rick, and BurgerTime!

you forget Cmart :) not only does Chris know a lot about Intellivision (and to little about how to use the LTO flash), but he also have fun comments and jokes, which I like :)

• Like 1

I got shark shark in, i think, early 1983. This was before the department stores stopped selling video games. I was surprised to see it sitting on the shelf because I had not seen it in any catalog or brochure. I've never heard of it before. Like everyone says mattel canada marketing must not have thought much of it as shark shark wasn't in the canadian mattel electronics 1983 dealer catalog. I used that catalog as my guide, looking for cartridges such as burgertime, treasure of tarmin, mystic castle, locomotion, winter olympics, world series, space shuttle, solar sailer.

I agree with rick about arcade style vs timed mode. Chasing arcade high scores can be fun at first (122k in shark shark) but then become very frustrating once you can't improve your score. The intellivision games i went back to were not arcade style and usually had a win/lose scenario.

Getting a high score in shark shark is about collecting as many extra fish before reaching 90k. At that point the game gets extra difficult and you'd be lucky to get a few hundred points per life.

Edit:

I enjoyed the programmer interview. It's great that she kept files on her old projects. I'm guessing she was originally assigned bumpnjump before it was reassigned to the playcable hackers and she went on to do night stalker for ibm pc. Don daglow's recollections on shark shark are in this interview.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/112971/From_Intellivision_To_Today_Talking_To_Don_Daglow.php

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1