IGNORED

"The dude" - new WIP beatemup game developed in cc65

Thanks to José , helping pointing out things.

What's good is bad, and what's bad is good.

Isn't it awkward? We talk about old computers and how to make best looking and playable Games for the Atari.

Then we get the term of "childish" ? Hey, it's about game development. So what the f..k is wrong, if a game looks childish ? Isn't it the goal to let them look childish? It's a game, not a political constitution.

José , if you start to create graphics that weren't childish , we may talk in other forums.

A question to the moderators: Is "Idiot" free speech or an insult?

I'd like to name someone idiot, but only if it is allowed. Explaining words seem not enough for him.

Edited by emkay

The complexity of a PMg scroller will be depending on the free CPU cycles. Also , there could be moving objects all over the screen , enhancing things. The relevant part is : The moving objects need no bit handling. Bit Handling is the killer of FPS. Color clash also might interfere the view .

No bit handling allows still to get more moving on the screen. PM for big parts, Playfield for the details. That's how the Atari works.

Why is you? Do you really exist? Of course you exist or we not have to take you...

P.s.- And that proposal from you for the beat'em'up game for the buildings using PMGs is so 2600 like, childish and has nothing to add to A8 games developments and coding.

Just said...

:thumbsup:

Ok. Me not the only one who at the moment dont believe PM backgrounds will look more interesting than a 2600 game...

But lets dont forget that maybe some skilled artist can do some magic with a 40x res as you see in a lot 2600 games esp Activision games.

So let an artist explore that pm background idea... I am not convinced as its really 70s tech but who knows...

Ok. Me not the only one who at the moment dont believe PM backgrounds will look more interesting than a 2600 game...

People always say : Emkay is putting other's work down.

(taking a deep breath)

The PMg might look like 2600, but there s the "2nd" layer, named Playfield. Not given to the 2600 that way, where much more details can be shown.

I really wonder, why people prefer the playfield only , while the Atari can do a PMg screen and a Playfield overlaid. Things are really weird in the Atari 8-Bit community forums.

Sorry Yaron, I hope you keep your development for the game, but things still have to be cleared, as particular HEAVEN , with his Transitions missing Demos, isn't the best candidate for conversations about optimizing Atari Stuff.

Perhaps you might read your part out of the conversations, to put into your project.

The Atari HAS the features of two screens, if you use it the correct way. One of the screens shows the details, the other screen gives nice additions.

If you use it wisely, the result will look and play like from a superior machine than the Atari is known.

Edited by emkay

A question to the moderators: Is "Idiot" free speech or an insult?

I'd like to name someone idiot, but only if it is allowed. Explaining words seem not enough for him.

Please be aware that if it's free speech and not an insult (asking myself what then an insult would be?), you may "receive" this term from others too. Maybe multiple times. From different individuals.

So I would abstain to use that - even it seems sometimes fitting quite well...

Edited by Irgendwer
  • Like 2

Please be aware that if it's free speech and not an insult (asking myself what then an insult would be?), you may "receive" this term from others too. Maybe multiple times. From different individuals.

So I would abstain to use that - even it seems sometimes fitting quite well...

I'd have no problem to be named idiot by idiots.

So if José thinks the same nothing would be won to use this word - so no need for it.

Regarding your question PM vs playfield graphics: What about f.e. with "Stealth"?

Stealth is well done, for it's age.

The viewer might think of PM used for the fighter. But it's playfield. After the Tower is down, the animation skips to PMg for a "depth zoom". Nicely done for that time, but far below the Atari's specifications. The depth animation is cheap, as it seems to use simple palette cycling.

I really liked the game.

It's one example of typical usage. But, games like Street Fighter need a fully different approach. Those games LIVE by the detailed animations of the "Fighters" . And Houses don't need much details. So what's the problem to use the Atari as it can handle it best?

So if José thinks the same nothing would be won to use this word - so no need for it.

Regarding your question PM vs playfield graphics: What about "Stealth"?

José is thinking? The only advantage I see is what I teached him in the past. The main part is done by capable coders.

Really, none of his tasks ended up in a working project. The difference between him an me is that he somehow convinced coders to do something. Actually, even if I showed something real on the Atari, people will have doubts.

As I wrote: Things are weird.

Edited by emkay

The idea for using PMG as background for scrolling. Let's assume 5 PMG, 8 bytes, and in quad mode.

AAAABBBBCCCCDDDDEEEE

Now when scrolling, how does the PMG data change such that a constant left-right scroll can happen? At some point, pm/g data would have to change to fill in the edges.

The idea for using PMG as background for scrolling. Let's assume 5 PMG, 8 bytes, and in quad mode.

AAAABBBBCCCCDDDDEEEE

Now when scrolling, how does the PMG data change such that a constant left-right scroll can happen? At some point, pm/g data would have to change to fill in the edges.

I made the example pictures?

0 for background

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 (screen)

0000AAAA0BBBB0000CCCCA00000B0DDDD00C00000D00000 (PMg )

As I wrote: The white in the houses of the demo screens is the background color.

PMg is doing the edges and windows.

Edited by emkay