IGNORED

PIXPRO PROBLEM

I use this program a lot for my newsletter and calendars

The problem I have is the program will not load images from my Myarc ramdisk, set up as DSK5.

The funny thing is, it will catalog the disk?

Maybe it's because the Myarc DSR is hardwired to 1000 and 1900?

Can anyone help? I'd really like to use the speed of the ramdisk when manipulating images.

It always gives me ERROR #2.

PIXPRO.DSK

Edited by sparkdrummer
  • Like 1

More info please!

TI Basic Input/Output error codes are given as TWO digits and the Myarc memory card sticks to the two digit format. If the first digit is a 2 it is an INPUT error. If the second digit is a two it is an attribute error (eg the OPEN command is not appropriate- incorrectly specified.

A second digit of 7 means the file does not exist or is not the expected format )..

If you set up the ramdisk as DSK1. or DSK2 temporarily, will the images then load? - this will rule out a possibility that PixPro does not like loading files from DSK5 (the catalogue program will use different code). Note the original TI disk system was limited to 3 drives and PixPro may check the drive number when entering file names but not reading a directory.

(Change emulated disk drive temporarily with CALL EMDK(2) and set it back to your preferred value after testing)

If files don't load from RAMdisk as DSK2:

To rule out a problem with file names and file formats- will the same files load from a standard TI disk drive?- are you remembering the dot after the K- eg DSK5.FILE ?

Try using the device and filename as RD.FILENAME - no DSK. - PixPro may accept that???

The file format must be one supported by Pix Pro and file names must be acceptable to PixPro.

Have fun.... s

Edited by blackbox

Blackbox

Yes, I have tried all that.

DSK1.filename thru DSK5.filename

DSK.RAMDISK.filename

RD.filename

The program will catalog all just fine.

The error given verbatim is - I/O ERROR #2

Screwy huh?

likely they wrote their own disk routines and aren't using the DSR .. OR only can use one CRU..

To rule out a problem with file names and file formats- will the same files load from a standard TI disk drive?

The 512k ramdisk uses 32k as standard 32k expansion leaving 480k available HOWEVER the RAM disk element may not exceed 400k - the balance is for print spooling. Are you using 400k or less?

Can you access the ramdisk as dsk1 -5 with other programs? It has to be set up on every powerup eg CALL PART and CALL EMDK.

Which environment are you using with PixPro- Editor Assembler, Extended Basic, or TI Writer? Myarc XB II? Assuming you are using a real TI99/4a rather than an emulator? Which disk controller? TI's 32k ram not present?

Can you do the following from Basic:

CALL PART(400,80)

CALL EMDK(5)

type in a short Basic program:

100 GOTO 100

now SAVE DSK5.TEMP

now type NEW then

type OLD DSK5.TEMP

Has it loaded the short TI Basic program?

s

Edited by blackbox

Yes, loading from real drive (1-4) - no problem.

I can also load from my SCSI hard drive, no problem.

The floppy controller is a Myarc with 80 track eprom.

If memory serves me, I have had no problem running any other software or file.

As I said, screwy huh?

I've never had an HFDC so can't comment on any restrictions with that.

The HFDC apparently has a UTILITY menu (MDM5) (U from Main Menu) with a RAMdisk option which will show you the status of the RAMdisk- worth a try. It should show DSK5 as set up. If that looks correct then it may be a limitation of PixPro. The Utility also allows the ramdisk to be set up (Caution- will delete contents)...

Is the HFDC at the default CRU of >1100.

That could be it.

Try running ANYTHING from DSK5 - for example-

Can you do the following from Basic:
CALL PART(400,80)
CALL EMDK(5)
type in a short Basic program:
100 GOTO 100
now SAVE DSK5.TEMP
now type NEW then
type OLD DSK5.TEMP

From the Myarc Disk Memory System manual:

"The DDCC-1 Disk Controller will control any combination of 4 double-sided or 4 single-sided disk
drives. This disk controller also reads and writes interchangeably — and equally well — to the
standard TI-99/4A format, single-density diskette."

On the other hand, the docs for the HFDC say that if you have an FDC then the FDC controls drives 1-4 but the HFDC controls drives 5-8.

No HFDC therefore may mean no drive 5 due to DSR limitations.. Interesting you are getting a directory, but that will be using differing code.

The only other alternative is that PIX PRO is checking the drive number (some programs did) and not permitting an "out of range" number for what the programmer that should be used.

s

A CorComp FDC is also limited to 4 drives. The solution would be either designating the Myarc 512K as DSK4 or less (if possible) or using a Horizon RAMdisk whose DSR resides at >1000 and defers to lower physical drives. Example: my system has a BWG FDC set up to control DSK1-3 and a 3Meg HRD16 designated as DSK4-D. Works fine.

If you load the FLORAL file from SCSI or floppy controller, can you then SAVE to the Myarc ramdisk?

See if this short XB program will read the FLORAL file once you copy it to the ramdisk:

100 OPEN #1:"DSK5.FLORAL",INTERNAL,FIXED 32, INPUT

110 LINPUT #1:A$

120 PRINT A$

130 GOTO 110

Theoretically, this should read the FLORAL image from the ramdisk and display each record to the screen. fctn-4 and type "close #1" if you don't want to wait it out.

Also... what version DSR is installed in your cards? Might check with Atrax as I believe the original eprom dsrs had a number of bugs that were later corrected.

Damn, yes, I forgot to mention that I can save to the 512.

Tim, I tried your program and it states FILE ERROR IN 110.

How does one determine what version of DSR my cards have? I'm betting the oldest.

When running Jesse Slicers DSRSCAN it shows version number 0002 on both cards and no ram?

Ill try it with a floppy. The error came up verbatim as shown above. No code was given.

Ok. I just noticed I used LINPUT out of habit. Change that to INPUT (i.e., remove the "L") and that should get you past this particular file error though it may not read the file quite right. I'll try the same on real hardware in a bit.

(Edit: reminder that linput is for DISPLAY files only. )

Sounds like the next course of action is to validate that you have the most recent DSR. If the DSR is not at fault then some disassembling or debugging might shed light on the issue. Level 3 record IO is pretty simple so the problem is likely simple as well, such as the current DSR not properly supporting relative records versus sequential.