IGNORED

Best games which need more than 64K....

yenzee

Hi everybody!

Since I finally have a 576K ram extension built into my 600XL, I´m now looking for the best games that need more than 64K ram.

Which games would you recommend?

Greetings from germany,

Jens.

• Like 1

You can also now play all the .XEX versions of XEGS supercarts too, even enhanced 320K version of Commando (un-enhanced version still needs somewhere around 192K-256K, enhanced is just a new title screen and title music) and I think Mean 18 has an enhanced version too, IIRC. Some legacy software also utilizes more than 64K if found; Alternate Reality: The Dungeon, Spiderman and Hulk graphic adventures, 221 Baker St. and Bismark I recall off hand, but there are more, stuff made to support 128K XE's with enhanced features but will still work on 64K machines without enhanced features. Datasoft had quite a few titles with enhanced capabilities for 128K+ machines, 3 of which I mentioned here.

Also Pang

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 4

I missed Pang too because I searched my files with "128" and "320" keywords!

I have it labeled as 320K in my files because I was never able to get the version I had to load in less than 320K (actually my choices where 64+192K or 64+512K) even though people insisted you could. In any case, I think I downloaded a new ATR recently that is suppose to work inside 64+192K extended.

I haven't tried it yet, as it hasn't been an issue since I upgraded from 256K to 576K myself, using Syscheck 2.2 on my DIY PBI 1200XL. I actually just got done downgrading my Rambo 256K back to stock, as I was having dram issues anyway, since I use Sys-check now and will fit the Rambo in another unit later.

Edited by Gunstar

Oddly, Atari Blast! is not included on the list... which is, on itself, a real tour-de-force for the Atari 8-bit family and a 1 MB behemoth (similar to Space Harrier, which also requires same space, but runs of a 1Mbyte Cartridge, instead).

Atari Blast is so large (relatively) that runs MUCH better on HD-equipped platforms (SIDE / Ultimate / Incognito, etc.)

• Like 3

Oddly, Atari Blast! is not included on the list... which is, on itself, a real tour-de-force for the Atari 8-bit family and a 1 MB behemoth (similar to Space Harrier, which also requires same space, but runs of a 1Mbyte Cartridge, instead).

Atari Blast is so large (relatively) that runs MUCH better on HD-equipped platforms (SIDE / Ultimate / Incognito, etc.)

Well, the 8Mbit (1Mbyte) AtariMax cart version runs with only 64K of base RAM, it's the only one I've played so far actually (via Ultimate Cart)

My max system is currently 576KB so I couldn't actually play the XEX version at this time..

Actually, Atari Blast! will run from an Atarimax cart or compatible on even a 16K 400/600XL. Only Space Harrier needs 64K too. But, there is a version of Atari Blast! that will run on a 1MB Atari in ram. In Yenzee's case, he doesn't have enough ram for Atari Blast! except the rom version, and that he could have played before he upgraded his 600XL.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...