IGNORED

Force Command : kinda like command.com from 1985 (no TIPI required!)

So, I converted to EA5, in classic99, by using the debugger->make menu item.

Set a breakpoint to 2800.

Use EA opt3 to load the program the way stuart distributes it.

Then pick the save to ea5 options, and configure for:

grabbing A000-BFFF of HIGH mem, and 2000-3FFF of low mem, and using 2800 as start address.

I don't think other options where necessary..

Really like the work you are doing on Force Command and looking forward seeing where this all leads to.

Especially the planned API functionality. I’d like that and want to make use of it (thinking of integrating my editor)

A feature request, perhaps you can support the F18a 30 rows mode?  Those 6 extra rows really do make a difference :-)

• Like 3

That isn't a bad idea... I'm all for maximal use of the F18A... 

I'll need to create a new text mode in libti99, with the fast scroll + attributes.. (not a problem, just how I'll go about it)

I also need to make sure I have a sprite definition table... I want to add mouse support to scripted menu interaction.

And then make sure my VDP buffers for IO are not in overlap... maybe I should actually honor the VDP stack..

I was already planning to explore the taller display mode for the midnight-commander/directory-opus like interface... ( that's what this started out as, then I let go of the UI part to focus on getting the disk IO solid... ) 

---

My roadmap for ForceCommand

- 128K ROM ( it is currently only 64k ) - I just don't want to spend time optimizing space. 

- Move all my code that gets loaded in expansion ram back into bank-switched cartridge space

- Move everything out of bank 0 so it is my API bank.

- Fix all the inconsistencies with file parameter parsing between commands ( some can take a full <crubase>.<devicename>.<dirs>.<filename>, others cannot )

- Add mouse support

- Add WGET command

- call it version 1.0 - (API not public yet)

I'll probably look at the 30 row mode today, though, cause fun trumps road-map... If I do that, I won't continue to support 24 row in 80 columns... you can have 24 rows in 40 for that 9918/38/58 folks... 

Then, work on examples and refinement of the API interface to my ROM routines from loaded programs. ( both Assembly and C ) 

- loaded programs get all of upper memory expansion

- Provide SAMS page API, so I can use SAMS myself if present, and expect loaded programs to respect my usage. 

- Add PATH searching,

- restore on return, not just reboot ( EA5 programs will always be considered destructive even if they return cleanly I'll just reboot ) 

- and call it 2.0

Other fun thing would be an Atari SpartaDOS style status bar for the TIME... and some other status... script name, script set title... who knows... 

Should keep me out of trouble for a while... Just say "no" to drugs. Pretend your young adult children living at home are just an infestation you can ignore. Bake pastries when stuck on programming problems. Don't neglect the day job... Exercise? IDK... 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, INVISIBLE said:

Insanemultitasker is a good guy to talk to on the 30 line stuff.  IIRC there are some garbage like things that need special attention to come out properly.

Oh thanks, but I got it working before that post:  https://github.com/jedimatt42/libti99/blob/36b623c74d46a987c9f67a05b8c284fe2dcff7e3/vdp_settext80x30color.c#L83

I'll test for a while before I submit this as a pull request to Tursi's repository... but all the accelerated GPU based scrolling from PeteE is adapted for the positional attribute table ( for the pretty color ANSI text I use )

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, INVISIBLE said:

Insanemultitasker is a good guy to talk to on the 30 line stuff.  IIRC there are some garbage like things that need special attention to come out properly.

If you are referring to TIMXT, I had limited options for where to place the larger screen and color tables alongside the full pattern tables for ANSI and petscii graphics, vram buffers, and GPU space for fast scrolling. The garbage you probably remember is a few rows that I opted to mask via the color table to achieve my desired window of 26 terminal rows.  This matches nicely with the V9938 26.5 line mode.  No problems with the F18A itself. :)

• Like 2

@jedimatt42  I have one small suggestion/request for an extra addition to the list of commands for Force Command if at all possible.

It would be really nice if I could simply type in, "HALT" or "SHUTDOWN" from the command prompt to initiate the RPi shutdown sequence.  With this new TIPI/32K sidecar, I'm finding I need to manually shutdown the RPi on a regular basis when I'm done with the TI.  If it cannot be done or you don't want to, I'll understand.

• Like 2

That is a reasonable request... I'll get it in this week.. before I take on more restructuring. 

I would make it a pair of commands like: 

TIPIHALT - halt the operating system on your TIPI's Raspberry PI

TIPIREBOOT - reboot the operating system on your TIPI's Raspberry PI

in the mean time, it should be pretty quick to LOAD TIPI.TIPICFG, and then press 'H'

I recommend EVERYONE running one of these TIPI/32K/speech sized sidecar's to continue to ensure that your PI has a separate power source from your 4A. If you don't, I promise, each of you will one day destroy an SD Card

------------

I assume everyone is powering their PI's separate, and generally leaving them on, or I would have expected someone to have already produced a compiled basic program that halts the PI using the PI. device interface. https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/PI.SHUTDOWN

• Like 4

12 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

That is a reasonable request... I'll get it in this week.. before I take on more restructuring. 

I assume everyone is powering their PI's separate, and generally leaving them on, or I would have expected someone to have already produced a compiled basic program that halts the PI using the PI. device interface. https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/PI.SHUTDOWN

Thanks M@! ?

Yes, my P-Box RPi is kept running 24/7 using a dedicated power supply hooked to a UPS.  Recently though, with the new side-car TIPI/32K variant being my "portable system", shutting down the Rpi has become a regular necessity.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

I recommend EVERYONE running one of these TIPI/32K/speech sized sidecar's to continue to ensure that your PI has a separate power source from your 4A. If you don't, I promise, each of you will one day destroy an SD Card.

I care that people maintain a good experience for themselves, and don't ruin the reputation of the TIPI project.

Old computer software often has only one exit mechanism, the power switch. Instinct will kick in, as for many, the power switch is the reset switch. Intentions are great, but they are a childish substitute for precaution.

This ForceCommand feature doesn't help if you have to power off to get to the prompt. 

So, if people don't have a reset button, remember that cartridge insertion triggers a hardware reset circuit. 

Also you can bookmark on your phone, the shutdown page for your PI in the TIPI web-ui. 

I thrashed ArcadeShopper's PI from muscle memory, 3 times last weekend, before he deployed countermeasures.

• Like 2

<GRIN>  Yeah, on my portable TI I accidentally forgot once and turned off the TI with the power switch, luckily I didn't FUBAR all the work I've been doing.  The reset button on the FinalGROM comes in handy for those without a reset button on their TI's.  Also that was a good reminder for folks on the cartridge insertion as well.  After I'm done making my video in the next week or two I'll look into adding an external power transformer as well.

Now would probably be a good time for the developer to post some photos with instructions for newbies on the various methods of adding power.  As with every gadget, it's nice to have a user manual written for the least adept among us at these sort of things.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, INVISIBLE said:

<GRIN>  Yeah, on my portable TI I accidentally forgot once and turned off the TI with the power switch, luckily I didn't FUBAR all the work I've been doing. 

when I ran my BBS on the TI, I pulled out the power switch insert so that I couldn't power the TI off by mistake.  If I truly needed to shut it down, I pulled the plug or turned off the surge protector. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, INVISIBLE said:

Not to my knowledge, but it CAN load a BIN image directly from the FinalGROM (if you know the program name).  

Once a cartridge is loaded into the FinalGROM, the API set is restricted so that only 2 APIs available on the cartridge is the one to load a cart image in the same directory on the FinalGROM SD Card, and the one to save. These are not files from the TI's point of view, so they are not under file management in Force Command. 

If someone goes in and fixes the FinalGROM99 code to allow delete, a listing and chdir would be nice. 

THANKS M@!  I'M LOVING ALL THESE IMPROVEMENTS!

The TIPIHALT works GREAT and I really like the 30 line mode.  The the only way to improve on that is to make it 29 lines with something similar to this  DISPLAY.png.295d6b6955d6179494f145ba81bc711e.png on the last line.  Time for sure, date possibly and maybe even some sort of character for WiFi connection status.  Yeah, I should shut up now, quit making suggestions and be thankful for what now I have the pleasure of using!  Oh and use it I will!  This is TI-Heaven!

On 5/24/2020 at 9:57 AM, jedimatt42 said:

Other fun thing would be an Atari SpartaDOS style status bar for the TIME... and some other status... script name, script set title... who knows... 

On 5/28/2020 at 7:03 AM, INVISIBLE said:

The the only way to improve on that is to make it 29 lines with something similar to this  DISPLAY.png.295d6b6955d6179494f145ba81bc711e.png on the last line.  Time for sure, date possibly and maybe even some sort of character for WiFi connection status.  ...

See my earlier statement...  I'm thinking something more like the top line in the screenshot at the below post:  

• Like 1

Fixed loading of EDIT80 and EDIT40 so it resets properly on exit.

Ver 0.G - see post #1  

This should now load any EA5 as long as it doesn't assume Editor Assembler has pre-loaded lower expansion ram with assembly routines. I know there are some of those around... 

Edited by jedimatt42
Mattz can yuz gramerz
  • Like 3