IGNORED

Force Command : kinda like command.com from 1985 (no TIPI required!)

As expected except for the DSK4 map issue which is a bug and how do you say you can use tippi config and change it or you can load an editor and just change pi.config

To access the TIPI DSK1 try with the Cru address in the commander but it only works there

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

As expected except for the DSK4 map issue which is a bug and how do you say you can use tippi config and change it or you can load an editor and just change pi.config

To access the TIPI DSK1 try with the Cru address in the commander but it only works there

Agreed, I found everything works pretty well inside Force Command. 

In my case, my "short term" memory is shot.  Otherwise, I would start the program and remember the filenames and locations: TIPI.GAMES.TOD.PENNIES vs. DSK4.PENNIES.   If it wasn't for the RS232 on the NanoPEB, I probably wouldn't even worry about using it (I like my little ancient printer.). 

The TIPI and Force Command is a fantastic hardware/software combination!  jedimatt42 is improving it on a daily basis!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dgrissom said:

FIRST ?  I am probably the only person in the world using this combination of hardware at this time! 

Note: This is not criticism!

These are a few observations with the both NanoPEB and TIPI/32K attached to my console.

(If this has been covered in previous TIPI threads, I apologize in advance as I am still "catching up" on my reading.)

J-Data provided a way to jumper the last set of pins on his TIPI/32K board to set the CRUBASE to 1800 and disable the TIPI's on-board 32K.  (This allows me a way of using both the TIPI and NanoPEB using an external toggle switch without a RAM conflict.)

This works.  However, it causes a few peculiarities using Force Command.

We actually tested this combination before the first units went to paying buyers... So this is all very expected.  

Typical programs on the 4A use a thing called DSRLNK, which is a device search procedure that counts up through the crubase addresses, pages in a ROM, and looks to see if that device is there. If it is, it trys to send the request to that device. The device can respond 'I don't know' or it can respond 'Sure', or 'Error'... 

TIPI, will respond 'I don't know' if the drive isn't mapped, allowing the request to proceed through the DSRLNK to the next device in the change. This really only works for the kind of IO that can be done in TI basic... But you are in luck! Almost everything produced by TI works with just that level of IO... 

However, I haven't found a floppy controller yet that will respond 'I don't know', they always just say 'Error' or 'Sure'

So, it generally works better in this combo mode to place the TIPI at crubase '>1000', with the nanopeb at '>1100'  - in that configuration, if no drives are mapped, most programs will look to the drives on the nanopeb to try it out... 

At the time, I didn't test it personally... I did test with sideport TIPI and my TI Floppy controller in a PEB... extensively...   To run a TIPI at crubase >1000, just set none of the jumpers. 

With the nanopeb at >1100 and the TIPI at >1800, yes, the TIPI never gets a chance... however the "TIPI." drive is fully available as well as the networking features, mouse, etc... you just lose the DSRLNK search for DSK1-4.. (or 1-3 depending on floppy controller)

DSK1,DSK2, and DSK3 drives always map to the NanoPEB. The Nano is being mapped as CRUBASE 1100. 

Force Command's "tipimap" command only seems to work with DSK's 1-3.  DSK4 throws an error: "error, bad drive specification". (DSK0 throws the same error.  I can see this as being by design as it always points to "TIPI".)

Oops... DSK4. should be mappable...  I'm sure I can fix that.

Yes, DSK0. and TIPI. are synonymous. This is due to how low level IO works, and drives being specified by unit number instead of device name. So I gave TIPI. unit number 0... and let DSK0. be an alias for some legacy software that might not let you enter a full device name... In practice, I never use DSK0.   

Since DSK1-3 are overridden by the Nano, this prohibits assigning a TIPI drive folder before running a cartridge from the TIPI using a batch/script while the Nano is attached.  I can type the full TIPI path - "TIPI.GAMES.TOD.QUEST" while in the game (TOD) and this will work.  If I set up DSK4 using TIBASIC's  CALL TIPI prior to running the cartridge (or file) then DSK4.QUEST will work.

In the "For what its worth, department"

Not related to the above and may be covered in previous discussions.   This has no real impact on my use of the software.

With a stock TI's 40 column screen in Force Command.  The maximum command length is 37 characters (40 characters minus the prompt). This is more than I would normally use!  Using EDIT40, It appears that I can create a command that is up to 80 characters long in a script file.  I am assuming that a 80 character display would provide a similar increase from the command line?

I actually allocate 256 bytes for a command buffer, I just haven't figured out how to give you access to it yet... In there, you can create a DV254 file from some other program... like a PC to TIFILES converter... and use really long command lines... there is no line continuation yet either.   And yes, with an 80 column screen you get the single line of nearly 80 characters to enter the command on.  I open scripts with a record length specification of 0, which instructs the controller to tell me what length the records are... having a filesystem based on TI's minicomputer business concepts is both powerful, and painful. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dgrissom said:

If it wasn't for the RS232 on the NanoPEB, I probably wouldn't even worry about using it (I like my little ancient printer.). 

This is a perfect use case then for TIPI to be at >1000, and the Nanopeb at >1100... You can have both and the RS232 on the nanopeb should continue to function.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

This is a perfect use case then for TIPI to be at >1000, and the Nanopeb at >1100... You can have both and the RS232 on the nanopeb should continue to function.

On the TIPI/32K, no jumpers appears to set the CRU to >1000.  However, if the onboard 32K is on and Nano is plugged in it freaks out my console.  (I've asked J-Data if there is any way to switch off the onboard 32K and use CRU >1000. (with jumpers).)

I don't want to remove anything from the board as I will probably damage it with my surgeon-like hands.  ?

"DSK4" assignment with a "tipimap" command script in Force Command will work for most of my needs (I think?).

I can call TIPICFG within FC and preset the DSK4 configuration, but that defeats the automated scripting. 

(Also/Or, I can turn everything off and pull the Nano off the side...).  2 lbs. of force, if that much. < Humor without the emoji.

• Like 1

I've forgotten you are using the TIPI/32K... I warped the crubase conversation over to that thread...  cause it sounds like an issue with decisions made specific to that model -  

I have a setup, that should let me verify my theory of operation... which I'm mostly through the bugs, so now (== after work) is a good time to go nanopebbing...

IMG_20200616_091912587.thumb.jpg.a00bb590dc636a9886970bd62747087d.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

I've forgotten you are using the TIPI/32K... I warped the crubase conversation over to that thread...  cause it sounds like an issue with decisions made specific to that model -  

I have a setup, that should let me verify my theory of operation... which I'm mostly through the bugs, so now (== after work) is a good time to go nanopebbing...

nanopebbing  -- Sounds like a new TI game.  Does it use joysticks?

However, I can think of a few work arounds for DSK1-3 on the Nano.  This includes a batch/script to quickly copy needed files from a TIPI folder to a designated nanoPEB disk before dropping to the fg99 or executing a ea5 on the TIPI.  This should be really cool (It may take a little time to do - however, I am retired and have little time on my hands).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

After nanopebbing for a bit, I ran into some bugs that drove me nuts... here are some fixes:

Most notably, improves working with multiple DSKn. device providers, plus fixes and improvements to TIPIMAP 

The wiki is behind now... :(

It just keeps getting better and better.  Looking forward to using this with 80 column support one day.

Thanks, jedimatt42!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GDMike said:

Just got my TIpi Today and want to put out a big thank you very much for a great product!!! I can't believe what I'm seeing.

Thank you Matthew!!

They are the best aren't they?  

Arcadeshopper finally talked me into building the last 8 TipiPEB boards I had from my first batch of 25.. LOL... I'm out of parts now... Thank Arcadeshopper for finding sources other than me! Most of the boards out there, I didn't have to make! He's got another source lined up out of California.. So they'll keep coming... 

---

Working on the nanopeb command ( CFMOUNT ) now... the in-memory version is cheap and easy, seems to be working.  I want to add a persistent option, and status and volume listing... before I share. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, GDMike said:

Just got my TIpi Today and want to put out a big thank you very much for a great product!!! I can't believe what I'm seeing.

Thank you Matthew!!

I received my TIPI a little over a week ago.  It is a fantastic concept.  Even better when paired with Force Command!

jedimatt:

So far so good on what I've tested with my TIPI/NanoPEB with various drives.  I've mapped and cleared DSK4 with "tipimap".

If DSK1-3 is not mapped with TIPI drives then the Nano's Drives work fine.

Thanks for the update!

David

• Thanks 1

Added the CFMOUNT command: 

No args, will list current mounts and their volume names.

CFMOUNT /V will list all volumes until it sees a consecutive gap of 10 unformatted volumes. -- I'm curious what real users volume lists are like... if this is a bad decision I've made. I'm thinking of including a starting volume number...

CFMOUNT <drive-no> <volume-no> will temparily mount ( doesn't survive power off )  -- I'll come back to a persistent option later... 

IMG_20200619_193634464.thumb.jpg.37bc031df296c6a65fe12c16f72a6615.jpg

Download in post #1 as usual.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

Added the CFMOUNT command: 

No args, will list current mounts and their volume names.

CFMOUNT /V will list all volumes until it sees a consecutive gap of 10 unformatted volumes. -- I'm curious what real users volume lists are like... if this is a bad decision I've made. I'm thinking of including a starting volume number...

CFMOUNT <drive-no> <volume-no> will temparily mount ( doesn't survive power off )  -- I'll come back to a persistent option later... 

jedimatt,

Thank you for these updates!  

I don't know if I am unique or not.  Cf2k has been the only tool I use besides simple Mount commands from BASIC while in the TI environment.

• I am using a 1gb CF card. My "MaxVolumes" using Cf2k is 1250. 
  • My first 60 volumes are formatted.   At least the first 50 volumes have files.
  • At volume# 100-110 I've formatted volumes and made software backups.  (I had some corruption problems on some of my volumes that caused me do do this.).

I am not normally a file "pack rat" and I've had some difficulty getting files to and from my NanoPEB.  (I don't like to pull the CF card from the device.)   File transfers with CFHDXS has been difficult and is prone to fail with my 1st PC's USB RS232.  Its better but not perfect with my current machine in that it actually has a real motherboard based RS232 port.

It is almost too easy to transfer files with the TIPI.  I can use TI99DIR and move files directly to folders on the TIPI/PI. (as well as FTP, Web Interface).  I can see this allowing me to move much of the TI data stored on my PC  and back them up between the two storage devices.

I like the idea of utilizing all my storage media devices and plan on reorganizing my NanoPEB in the future.  A lot of this will be because I am using Force Command.

When life settles down, I have a couple of user requests (These are not required but may be helpful.)   

• File redirection to printing devices or files .  (PC/Linux text file or PDF or if possible TI PIO/RS232)
  • "Redo" to show the previous typed line to make corrections and speed up reusing some commands.

Can't wait to try the latest version!

David

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

Print to PI.PIO makes PDFs already they are stored in the PDFs share

I believe the request here is to redirect output from ForceCommand commands to a print like device. 

CFMOUNT /V >TIPI.BIGLIST  

CFMOUNT /V >PIO.CR

CFMOUNT /V >RS232

CFMOUNT /V >PI.PIO

etc... 

Which I would like to do... the 'more' behavior is too hard-coded currently. I have taken steps to make sure all my commands output through a single function, so I should eventually be able to do that. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

I believe the request here is to redirect output from ForceCommand commands to a print like device. 

CFMOUNT /V >TIPI.BIGLIST  

CFMOUNT /V >PIO.CR

CFMOUNT /V >RS232

CFMOUNT /V >PI.PIO

etc... 

Which I would like to do... the 'more' behavior is too hard-coded currently. I have taken steps to make sure all my commands output through a single function, so I should eventually be able to do that. 

My old DOS favorite was COPY CON <FILENAME> to create on-the-fly batch files, etc.

(The good old days before Windows 1.0 ruined me!) 

My initial testing is that the CFMOUNT command great!  Its the first time that I've ever been comfortable using the NanoPEB in one environment.  It is easy to copy files from the PC to TIPI.  TIPI to DSK1-3 on the NanoPEB.

I am going to reserve "hard mounted DSK1" disks on my Nano to script copy files to and execute them until the persistent option is available.

arcadeshopper:  BTW I've used the PI.PIO function.  It is very slick!

Possible bug (or user error):  According to "HELP CFMOUNT", "CFMOUNT /V   x  y  is supposed to show a range of Nano formatted volumes.  I can't get it to work?  I've tried  CFMOUNT /V   10 20 and CFMOUNT /V 10,20 and CFMOUNT /V (slam fist on console) with no success.      

Thanks again! 

DG

• Like 1

Possible OFF Topic alert!

In editing Script/Batch files for Force Command,  I am currently using "EDIT40" on both the TI Console and while in Classic99.

(One nagging problem with my system and EDIT40 in Classic99 is no lower case?)

This works fine as I have 2 Classic 99 DSK's directly mapped to \\TIPI folders. 

Also, I've found you can do some of this with TI99Dir (with extra steps).

Is there a "Windows" based text editor for lazy simpletons like myself that can directly create, read, and write DV-80 TIFILES files suitable for Force Command scripts?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, dgrissom said:

Possible OFF Topic alert!

In editing Script/Batch files for Force Command,  I am currently using "EDIT40" on both the TI Console and while in Classic99.

(One nagging problem with my system and EDIT40 in Classic99 is no lower case?)

This works fine as I have 2 Classic 99 DSK's directly mapped to \\TIPI folders. 

Also, I've found you can do some of this with TI99Dir (with extra steps).

Is there a "Windows" based text editor for lazy simpletons like myself that can directly create, read, and write DV-80 TIFILES files suitable for Force Command scripts?

Thanks!

Unless I've broken something, you should be able to save a normal text file in the TIPI share and CALL it like a script... if the file name in the share ends in .txt or .cmd or a few others.. from inside force command, you'd refer to GO.TXT as GO/TXT or go.txt as go/txt  https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/Native-Files   ( yep I slipped .cmd in there: https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/blob/fd8d5ce77c10cbebb885976f92dca086ce27d96b/services/ti_files/NativeFile.py#L12 )

But there are read only restrictions on native files like that.. TIPI doesn't support saving.. 

xdm99.py has tools for importing txt into dv80 and creating TIFILES... but this would be like a build process... 

I think tiimagetool.jar has an edit feature, but it only works within the context of a disk image. I think. 

I have the CFMOUNT /P working for perma-mount :)   ( thanks @Lee Stewart for the forth source, and @Tursi for the classic99 emulation support )

I have the CFMOUNT /V [begin end]  working-ish... 

The nanopeb I have locks up the system if I try to get the volume info from a volume beyond the media... so I'm not comfortable releasing quite yet... need to implement the upper bounds limit based on the code from Fred before I do.. too many things have to be powered off to recover. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

I have the CFMOUNT /P working for perma-mount :)   ( thanks @Lee Stewart for the forth source, and @Tursi for the classic99 emulation support )

I have the CFMOUNT /V [begin end]  working-ish... 

The nanopeb I have locks up the system if I try to get the volume info from a volume beyond the media... so I'm not comfortable releasing quite yet... need to implement the upper bounds limit based on the code from Fred before I do.. too many things have to be powered off to recover. 

If it don't smoke, it's a good release! ?

• Like 3

Possible bug report.

(or simply incompatible software)

running a

Trying to run TI-REX (ea5 files TIREX-A and TIREX-B)

"load TIREX-A" from the command line starts the program with no errors.

However Mister Rex has got kind of look! (see attachment).

The problem seems to affect his screen friends as well.

The program runs correctly from E/A. (not so well from a CALL TIPI("").

(I found this testing the CFMOUNT with my nanoPEB.)

Wrote a short batch to cfmount the volume as DSK1 and start the program to show the power of Force Command.  

Imagine running games / applications with a single script from a few dedicated disk volumes and never have to swap or externally mount the volume.  Its potentially a powerful tool for nanoPEB and CF7+ users.

IMG_20200703_120859.jpg