jedimatt42

Force Command ver 0.M : kinda like command.com from 1985

Wow, Force Command, where have you been my whole life?  I guess I've been living under a rock.  Absolutely love this program (OS?).

A few dumb questions:

-On the "FG99" command, rather than going to the cart, it ALWAYS sends me be back to the TI boot screen.  The odd thing is the CART is preloaded into the selection menu but does need to be selected.  The "XB" command seems to work fine and launches into the XB cart and the selected program, but using the "FG99" to launch XB always sends me to the start screen, not XB.  Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? 

-In the FinalGrom99 menu, I see AUTOCMD and FORCE CMD.  Can't identify the difference in behavior or find documentation of when or why to choose one verse the other.  Any hints?

-Why does everyone's screen shots show a nice text graphic at the top of the FC start screen, and I don't see it.  Is this only available in 80 column or in older version of FC?

-Am I the only one who wishes there was an alias from "LS" to "DIR"?  I've typed the wrong one a thousand times. 

-It would also be nice if you could launch directly into a text editor (VI) with the file to be edited as a parameter from FC and then exit back into FC when done.  (I know, "CALL EDIT40")

Thanks for the help!

4 minutes ago, J-Data said:

Wow, Force Command, where have you been my whole life?  I guess I've been living under a rock.  Absolutely love this program (OS?).

A few dumb questions:

-On the "FG99" command, rather than going to the cart, it ALWAYS sends me be back to the TI boot screen.  The odd thing is the CART is preloaded into the selection menu but does need to be selected.  The "XB" command seems to work fine and launches into the XB cart and the selected program, but using the "FG99" to launch XB always sends me to the start screen, not XB.  Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? 

-In the FinalGrom99 menu, I see AUTOCMD and FORCE CMD.  Can't identify the difference in behavior or find documentation of when or why to choose one verse the other.  Any hints?

-Why does everyone's screen shots show a nice text graphic at the top of the FC start screen, and I don't see it.  Is this only available in 80 column or in older version of FC?

-Am I the only one who wishes there was an alias from "LS" to "DIR"?  I've typed the wrong one a thousand times. 

-It would also be nice if you could launch directly into a text editor (VI) from FC and then exit back into FC when done.  (I know, "CALL TEXT40")

Thanks for the help!

Not Dumb questions!  Can answer some (hopefully correctly):  Jedimatt: Correct me if I am wrong.

• AUTOCMD / FORCE CMD - Both work.  If you have F18 I believe it shows the pretty banner with ANSI graphics? (I don't have F18)
  • FG99 = Syntax to run a specific FinalGrom99 file in the FG99 root directory (This can run EA, XB, Games, etc.).  FG99 "Foo" (runs the Foo .bin file).
  • Text Graphics = 80 col. F18 only (am in the same boat as you - not as pretty)  🙂
  • DIR = Based on DOS MSX I believe? 
  • Return to FC after Editor - I use EDIT40 (load TIPI.XX.EDIT40)  Hit X to exit. Usually restarts FC.  Also note, a "CALL batch/script" with the load command will usually work?  I think an internal Editor is "waiting in line" when after the API is available and someone codes or adapts one to the FC environment?

Not Dumb questions!  Can answer some (hopefully correctly):  Jedimatt: Correct me if I am wrong.
  • AUTOCMD / FORCE CMD - Both work.  If you have F18 I believe it shows the pretty banner with ANSI graphics? (I don't have F18)
  • FG99 = Syntax to run a specific FinalGrom99 file in the FG99 root directory (This can run EA, XB, Games, etc.).  FG99 "Foo" (runs the Foo .bin file).
  • Text Graphics = 80 col. F18 only (am in the same boat as you - not as pretty) 
  • DIR = Based on DOS MSX I believe? 
  • Return to FC after Editor - I use EDIT40 (load TIPI.XX.EDIT40)  Hit X to exit. Usually restarts FC.  Also note, a "CALL batch/script" with the load command will usually work?  I think an internal Editor is "waiting in line" when after the API is available and someone codes or adapts one to the FC environment?
Auto loads fc automatically with auto start at reset vs force command just gives you the menu and you have to hit 2 to load it

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Like @arcadeshopper said, if you choose AUTOCMD it'll take over the FG99 cartridge, so whenever you exit an E/A5 program, it'll pop you directly back into Force Command.  There is a different method for Extended BASIC programs to accomplish the same thing.  Cool beans for sure...

23 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

FG99 = Syntax to run a specific FinalGrom99 file in the FG99 root directory (This can run EA, XB, Games, etc.).  FG99 "Foo" (runs the Foo .bin file).

Doesn't work for me for some reason. "FG99" command always sends me back in the TI splash screen.  It does however queue up the chosen CART in the "Press 1 for Basic" selection screen.  Exact same behavior on both my consoles and both my FG99's. 

I suspect its related to my FG99 image(s).  Does the cart .bin file name need to match the program name in the .bin file?  I notice these don't exactly match on the ones I have in my FG99 root directory. 

The odd thing is XB launches fine from the "XB" command. 

Just now, J-Data said:

Doesn't work for me for some reason. "FG99" command always sends me back in the TI splash screen.  It does however queue up the chosen CART in the "Press 1 for Basic" selection screen.  Exact same behavior on both my consoles and both my FG99's. 

I suspect its related to my FG99 image(s).  Does the cart .bin file name need to match the program name in the .bin file?  I notice these don't exactly match on the ones I have in my FG99 root directory. 

it needs to be the exact file name on the sdcard  for instance if your xb is xb_g.bin its xb_g

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arcadeshopper said:

it needs to be the exact file name on the sdcard  for instance if your xb is xb_g.bin its xb_g

That's what I was doing (in my case using "FG99 EXBASICG" for a file named exbasicg.bin).  Tried this with about 10 different FG99 .bin files with no luck.  If I put an invalid .bin file name I get a completely different behavior, the FG99 LED just keeps flashing red.   That's not the issue I'm seeing here. 

I tried changing the .bin file name to match the program name shown on the FG99 menu, but still no joy.  Always takes me to the splash screen. 

I'm sure I'm doing something dumb. 

I'm not home at the moment to test, to confirm, but does the BASIC .BIN need to be in the ROOT directory?  Do you by chance have it in a sub-directory/folder?  I know mine is in the ROOT, but that might not mean anything.  Check it out and see.

18 minutes ago, J-Data said:

Sorry, yes, the FG99 command doesn't know the entry point of your cartridge, so it just resets the console after instructing the FG99 to load the bin. 

I haven't been ambitious enough yet to scan the cartridge headers after the FG99 has loaded it... to determine the target address myself.

XB, requires you to set XBADDR (or defaults ot the value for TI Extended BASIC v110) and that is why it is able to launch right into XB.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, J-Data said:

A few dumb questions:

-It would also be nice if you could launch directly into a text editor (VI) with the file to be edited as a parameter from FC and then exit back into FC when done.  (I know, "CALL EDIT40")

Thanks for the help!

The answer to a few of these questions is that it is only version 0.something. There is a roadmap many posts back... Give it a year.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

the FG99 command doesn't know the entry point of your cartridge, so it just resets the console after instructing the FG99 to load the bin. 

OK, so normal behavior. 

Looking forward to seeing this evolve.  Thanks for the great program (shell?).

2 hours ago, J-Data said:

-On the "FG99" command, rather than going to the cart, it ALWAYS sends me be back to the TI boot screen.

If you modify the HEADER of the cartridge you wish to load, by moving the address in the PROGRAM word, over to the POWER-UP word. It should boot directly!

34 minutes ago, J-Data said:

OK, so normal behavior. 

Looking forward to seeing this evolve.  Thanks for the great program (shell?).

1 hour ago, Omega-TI said:

I'm not home at the moment to test, to confirm, but does the BASIC .BIN need to be in the ROOT directory?  Do you by chance have it in a sub-directory/folder?  I know mine is in the ROOT, but that might not mean anything.  Check it out and see.

Basic in root and case sensitive.

I've noted an issue with FCMDXB.

When starting up an XB program from FC, it runs fine. However, if I return to FC via the FCMDXB program and then try to run any XB program, XB gets loaded and I get a SYNTAX ERROR and there is no program present. I am using RXB 2015 as my main XB. Not sure if this is related to RXB or FC.

Could someone using another XB please try this out an report back?

3 hours ago, Vorticon said:

When starting up an XB program from FC, it runs fine. However, if I return to FC via the FCMDXB program and then try to run any XB program, XB gets loaded and I get a SYNTAX ERROR and there is no program present. I am using RXB 2015 as my main XB. Not sure if this is related to RXB or FC.

This sounds similar to a problem reported earlier by Omega... Hmm. Or was this the inverse of the problem he had... He was using RXB also... and so I tested with it... but I never got to the bottom of it. I don't think I was able to reproduce. There were all kinds of other questions raised that probably had nothing to do with anything, but led me to dismiss it as something unique to him. 

You could check for me, and see what is being written to the DV80 file:  TIPI.FC.FC/XB 

It should be a single line like: 10 RUN "TIPI.SOMEDIR.WMEXP732", where the thing in quotes is the full path to whatever experiment you are running...

There is some accounting in the /var/log/tipi/tipi.log 

7 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

This sounds similar to a problem reported earlier by Omega... Hmm. Or was this the inverse of the problem he had... He was using RXB also... and so I tested with it... but I never got to the bottom of it. I don't think I was able to reproduce. There were all kinds of other questions raised that probably had nothing to do with anything, but led me to dismiss it as something unique to him. 

You could check for me, and see what is being written to the DV80 file:  TIPI.FC.FC/XB 

It should be a single line like: 10 RUN "TIPI.SOMEDIR.WMEXP732", where the thing in quotes is the full path to whatever experiment you are running...

There is some accounting in the /var/log/tipi/tipi.log 

The FC/XB file shows the correct path for the XB program I am trying to load

The log files have entries only till 7/19/20 even though I have been actively using the tipi daily and I don't see any errors logged.

14 hours ago, Vorticon said:

I wonder it if could by RXB has a initialization routine I added for a cart?

[3829]               ***********************************************************
[3830]               * RXB PATCH FOR GAZOO HARDWARE CART TO SET ROMS

99/4 GPL-ASSEMBLER (Pass 3) correct                                   PAGE 0072 
EDIT-359
[3831] 7EA3 86,AF,35 NOMENU CLR   [email protected]>35D7       Clear menu flag
       7EA6 D7
[3832] 7EA7 BF,A8,CE         DST   >994A,[email protected] Set loader flag
       7EAA 99,4A
[3833] 7EAC 31,00,0A         MOVE  10,[email protected],[email protected]>2256
       7EAF AF,22,56
       7EB2 63,51
[3834] 7EB4 5E,D1            BR    MENUGO
[3835]               ***********************************************************
[3836] 7EB6 00,00,7E MENU   DATA  0,MENUUP
       7EB9 CC
[3837] 7EBA 11              BYTE  17
[3838] 7EBB 52,58,42        TEXT  'RXB 2015  MENU   '
       7EBE 20,32,30
       7EC1 31,35,20
       7EC4 20,4D,45
       7EC7 4E,55,20
       7ECA 20,20
[3839] 7ECC BE,AF,35 MENUUP ST    >F0,[email protected]>35D7   Set MENU/REDO flag
       7ECF D7,F0
[3840] 7ED1 87,8F,DD MENUGO DCLR  @>6000        SET ROM BANKS FOR GAZZO CART <<<<<<<<<<<<<<< could be this ?
       7ED4 00
[3841] 7ED5 43,72           BR    TOPLEV        Restart but below CLR bytes
[3842]               ***********************************************************
[3843]                      END

Could it be that line [3840] MENUGO DCLR @>6000  SET ROM BANKS FOR GAZZO CART   ????