jedimatt42

Force Command ver 1.17 : kinda like command.com from 1985

Update 1.16 - 

Note, I changed the names of the RPKs.  FCMD.RPK is good with current MAME, and Js99er as @mizapf informed. Some folks are still on MAME 224 for reasons, so the ROM only RPK is called FCMD-MAME-224.RPK now.

I changed the backspace handling. It wasn't very TI like, since we don't really have a backspace key.

Now, by default, when in insert mode, left arrow is left arrow. If you set environment variable BACKSPACE=TRUE, then left arrow becomes backspace. In overwrite mode, left arrow is always left arrow. Insert and overwrite mode are toggled by pressing F2. Solid cursor is insert mode, underscore cursor is overwrite mode. 

Made command line entry consistent in this regard with the ED command.

ALSO Hopefully I fixed the Yamaha VDP detection. It at least still works in MAME and is consistent with the 9938 documentation.

Edited by jedimatt42
  • Like 3

Update 1.17 - small change to ED editor, when in insert mode, pressing enter should move whatever is after your cursor down to a new line, shifting all lines below down a line. However the last line was being lost. 1.17 fixes that.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

Update 1.17 - small change to ED editor, when in insert mode, pressing enter should move whatever is after your cursor down to a new line, shifting all lines below down a line. However the last line was being lost. 1.17 fixes that.

I re-uploaded the zip... somehow I didn't get 1.17 into the 1.17 zip...

Every time I change from insert to overwrite mode using F2, it reverts back to insert mode after each FC command. Is there a way to make overwrite mode stick?

Yes, but you also have destructive backspace. In FC, the left arrow is not destructive, and there is no backspace key (is there one?), so it gets annoying when typing mistakes are made and the insert mode is on... 

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

Isn't this how every os works?

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

That is what command.com does. 

I don't even think about it on a modern keyboard, just stretch that pinky out to hit the INSERT key. 

I suspect @Vorticon is doing something repetitive, that might be in need of a better solution...  Like line copying in the editor, so a quick script can be made... or some command that would be improved if it supported wildcards.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vorticon said:

Yes, but you also have destructive backspace. In FC, the left arrow is not destructive, and there is no backspace key (is there one?), so it gets annoying when typing mistakes are made and the insert mode is on... 

Check out this post, I think it helps: