IGNORED

Force Command : kinda like command.com from 1985 (no TIPI required!)

4 hours ago, dgrissom said:

Don't know if it "by design" or ?

"ED" is GREAT... (but)  the "FCTN+ Left Arrow" acts as a Backspace with Delete.  

I am just starting to use this command.   As designed I don't know the best way to correct a script's line in the middle without deleting most of the line.

BTW, this is still way better than running an external editor!

DG

Great feedback! Yes, this is by design. But it doesn't have to be set in stone.

F2 will toggle into overwrite mode, and backspace becomes left-arrow instead... it may merit some config options... I could see people with stock keyboards never wanting left arrow to function as backspace. And that is inconsistent with command line editing... :( I noticed... after getting used to the backspace being what it says on my USB keyboard... Made me want to fix command line editing to treat it like backspace also.. 

But then I realize that isn't very normal on a 4A.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, fabrice montupet said:

The VDP detection problem appeared again. In fact, it's random. I have successively reseted the computer without power-off it, and  in main cases the V9958 is well detected by FC but sometimes not. And when it is not detected by FC,  however I can launch programs that uses the V9938/58 VDP with no problem. So we can put aside a VDP issue or VDP adressing problem by the computer itself.

I found a mistake... looking at VDP status register 4 to detect the Yamaha VDPs, I'm comparing (cb) to 0xFE. However it needs to be masked first. The remaining bit is actually variable. 

• Like 3

Happy to read that you've found a/the reason for the random detection of the VDP 9938/58 ?

I read that FC can display foreground/background 15 colors (plus transparent) in F18A Text Mode 80 columns.  V9938/58 VDPs can only display 2 colors in 80 columns T2 Mode) but It could be great to have the possibility to choose these two colors to make more impactful menus. So, do you think to add this ability with COLOR command?

Edited by fabrice montupet

1 hour ago, fabrice montupet said:

Happy to read that you've found a/the reason for the random detection of the VDP 9938/58 ?

I read that FC can display foreground/background 15 colors (plus transparent) in F18A Text Mode 80 columns.  V9938/58 VDPs can only display 2 colors in 80 columns T2 Mode) but It could be great to have the possibility to choose these two colors to make more impactful menus. So, do you think to add this ability with COLOR command?

From my reading, you get the normal text mode foreground and background for tiles, and the background is shared with the screen background. The COLOR command and ANSI color setting codes control these on Yamaha chips.

Then you get the second tile foreground and background in VDP_R12 for BLINKING... which... is going to blink... and everyone in the 80s rebelled.  

Is blinking what is desired? 

44 minutes ago, klrw111-78 said:

I have a SAMS card in slot 2, IDE in Slot 6, and Corcomp in 8.  When I load FCMD, the system reboots with nothing but TI basic in the menu

Real hardware:

Do you have both the FCMDG.bin and FCMDC.bin files on the FinalGROM99 SD Card? 

MAME:

I haven't upgraded to latest MAME yet, and am using a hack to get the large ROM to work with a GROM. The GROM auto-starts, so after 'inserting the cartridge' reset the emulation. Also be sure you use the correct RPK. There are 2 in the zip, one for MAME and one for js99er.net cause they don't like custom carts the same way... 

EDIT:   Oh.. I lied... the MAME-FCMD.RPK only has the ROM, and the hack was that I bump it up to a 512K ROM... no GROM, so no auto-start feature. I am not a regular user of MAME, so if you are, then you are the expert... here is the layout.xml I use: https://github.com/jedimatt42/fcmd/blob/master/mame-layout.xml  please advise how it should be corrected.  This layout.xml works for js99er but causes mame to core dump: https://github.com/jedimatt42/fcmd/blob/master/js99er-layout.xml

If someone wants to tell me how to properly have one layout.xml that brings in the GROM and ROM without repacking the ROM as 512K ( it only needs to be 128K ) that would be awesome! 
And if the same solution worked in js99er, that would be awesome as well!

Edited by jedimatt42
  • Like 1

Real hardware:
  Do you have both the FCMDG.bin and FCMDC.bin files on the FinalGROM99 SD Card? 

MAME:
  I haven't upgraded to latest MAME yet, and am using a hack to get the large ROM to work with a GROM. The GROM auto-starts, so after 'inserting the cartridge' reset the emulation. Also be sure you use the correct RPK. There are 2 in the zip, one for MAME and one for js99er.net cause they don't like custom carts the same way... 

EDIT:   Oh.. I lied... the MAME-FCMD.RPK only has the ROM, and the hack was that I bump it up to a 512K ROM... no GROM, so no auto-start feature. I am not a regular user of MAME, so if you are, then you are the expert... here is the layout.xml I use: https://github.com/jedimatt42/fcmd/blob/master/mame-layout.xml  please advise how it should be corrected.  This layout.xml works for js99er but causes mame to core dump: https://github.com/jedimatt42/fcmd/blob/master/js99er-layout.xml

If someone wants to tell me how to properly have one layout.xml that brings in the GROM and ROM without repacking the ROM as 512K ( it only needs to be 128K ) that would be awesome! 
And if the same solution worked in js99er, that would be awesome as well!

My comments about the rpk are related to the MAME. I am no MAME expert by any means. It is the only emulator that runs on my MAC without a dual boot installation. Just saw the rpk in the latest zip and thought I’d check it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

From my reading, you get the normal text mode foreground and background for tiles, and the background is shared with the screen background. The COLOR command and ANSI color setting codes control these on Yamaha chips.

Then you get the second tile foreground and background in VDP_R12 for BLINKING... which... is going to blink... and everyone in the 80s rebelled.  

Is blinking what is desired? 

I misread your online documentation explaining the ways to use the COLOR command so I thought that we only could get white text/dark blue background on V9938/58 VDPs. As I was far from my Tiny-99/4A v2 computer, I couldn't test.  Today I was able to test the COLOR command and it indeed permits to change the foreground/background as I wanted. That's really good!
...I have to continue to improve my English ?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, klrw111-78 said:

My comments about the rpk are related to the MAME. I am no MAME expert by any means. It is the only emulator that runs on my MAC without a dual boot installation. Just saw the rpk in the latest zip and thought I’d check it out.

Fyi, you can use wine to boot at least classic99, probably more. My macbook air only had a 128 gb hard drive, so I don't have room to dual boot. Hopefully get that fixed some day.

Fyi, you can use wine to boot at least classic99, probably more. My macbook air only had a 128 gb hard drive, so I don't have room to dual boot. Hopefully get that fixed some day.

Gave up working with WINE when I upgraded to Catalina. The 1TB OWC SSD I installed in the 2013 MacBook Pro doesn’t work with boot camp. Found that out after buying a Win10 license.

2 hours ago, klrw111-78 said:

Gave up working with WINE when I upgraded to Catalina. The 1TB OWC SSD I installed in the 2013 MacBook Pro doesn’t work with boot camp. Found that out after buying a Win10 license.

I haven't had any recent experience, but can you use Parallels? To use win 10? I had that working with my macbook pro. Till the hard drive died about 6 years ago. Haven't bought any updates since.

5 hours ago, RickyDean said:

I suppose I should have a chance to check what is wrong, and if I cannot help, there is still enough time to change the emulator.

Maybe the issue has been fixed in the meantime (https://www.mizapf.de/ti99/mame/changes ) :

0.225 Fixes: Gromemu type allows for bank-switched ROMs

(I just added the entry to my list; I seem to have forgotten it at that time.)

I can run the JS99ER-FCMD.RPK with the current MAME; it autostarts into the cartridge.

Edited by mizapf
I have some strong language for these auto-emojis.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mizapf said:

Maybe the issue has been fixed in the meantime (https://www.mizapf.de/ti99/mame/changes ) :

0.225 Fixes: Gromemu type allows for bank-switched ROMs

(I just added the entry to my list; I seem to have forgotten it at that time.)

I can run the JS99ER-FCMD.RPK with the current MAME; it autostarts into the cartridge.

On my MacBookPro with ver 0.227 SDL MAME, the JS99ER-FCMD.RPK will load, display banner, and beep, but keypresses yield nothing on the screen or response.  Just as an FYI.

Hmm. This could become quite difficult, as it obviously works for me but not for you. I'm a bit surprised that the cursor is flashing but you have no key input. Could you start it from a shell with option "-log" or "-oslog"? Maybe we can see an error message.

Or maybe someone else with a MacBook could try to reproduce it.

4 hours ago, mizapf said:

Hmm. This could become quite difficult, as it obviously works for me but not for you. I'm a bit surprised that the cursor is flashing but you have no key input. Could you start it from a shell with option "-log" or "-oslog"? Maybe we can see an error message.

Or maybe someone else with a MacBook could try to reproduce it.

Used the log option and loaded mame.  I then started changing the slot options to see if it made any difference.  

My mame.sh script launches with a -gromport multi option with only -cart1 designated.  I usually just use the UI to add another cart if I want to change.  This has never caused an issue before.  When doing this with the FCMD rpk, TI boots as shown in the previous png.  If I change to -gromport  single  with the FCMD rpk everything works.

error.log

Yes, I'd expect this. The problem is that I upgraded the gromemu type with bank-switched ROMs. This seems to interfere with the multi-cartridge expander. You can still use the multi-cart expander if you set its selection to a certain slot using the DIP switch settings (not "Auto" but "Slot 1").

• Thanks 1