IGNORED

Force Command : kinda like command.com from 1985 (no TIPI required!)

I've enjoyed testing this amazing piece of software!

I have a stock TI with a FinalGrom (and nanoPEB).  Currently, I am waiting for both a F18 and TIPI when they become available.

I have encountered a few issues in the latest version (v0.F).  They may not be bugs -- but by design.  CLS scrambles the screen (vertical bars).  I can clear it with a width 40 command.

Is there a workaround for this (CLS with a parameter?).

BTW.  I see this software as a fix for my notorious bad memory.  I can click a few menu selections and things will start working for me.  Windows and Linux has ruined me!

I know that INVISIBLE has opened a new topic on this.  However, I am curious on actual batch file examples to do the fg99 commands. So far, all I am able to do is throw my FinalGrom error light on ? .

Again, I am blown away by this software and want to participate in its development in a positive way.

• Thanks 1

I have a stock TI with a FinalGrom (and nanoPEB).  Currently, I am waiting for both a F18 and TIPI when they become available.

I have encountered a few issues in the latest version (v0.F).  They may not be bugs -- but by design.  CLS scrambles the screen (vertical bars).  I can clear it with a width 40 command.

BTW.  I see this software as a fix for my notorious bad memory.  I can click a few menu selections and things will start working for me.  Windows and Linux has ruined me!

I know that INVISIBLE has opened a new topic on this.  However, I am curious on actual batch file examples to do the fg99 commands. So far, all I am able to do is throw my FinalGrom error light on [emoji846] .

Again, I am blown away by this software and want to participate in its development in a positive way.

I have sidecar TIPI in stock both the traditional ver and the 32k/TIPI board

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Thanks

I found a work around on the AUTOCMD for the screen error in the batch/script

CLS

WIDTH 40     (follow it immediately)

....               (rest of script)

fg99 problem was case sensitive error on my part.

ECHO (without additional text - trying to get a blank line shows a little screen garbage.  Obvious work around "Don't do that..." 

From the command line I can load/execute files on my nanoPEB mapped to DSK1. 

load DSK1.EDIT40

I kind of expect some issues until hardware is upgraded.  I got a lot a learnin' to do!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, INVISIBLE said:

The batch file commands require a storage device, in this case the TIPI you are waiting on.  While the FinalGROM runs Force Command, the program itself is for the TIPI.

WRONG - Force Command is for all 4A users with any sort of disk or disklike storage. 

It has features that take advantage of TIPI, it also has features that take advantage of F18A, and the FinalGROM99..  It also does not require the FinalGROM99 - someone knowing what they are doing with an ubergrom could load ForceCommand on ubergrom... or you could use one of the red-board cartridge boards ( I reserve the right to let it get that fat ), on an eprom only cartridge board, you just give up the GROM powerup routine.

Granted, there are things Force Command does for a TIPI user that are not clearly achievable with other file management tools, such as natural use of the TIPI. devicename. 

3 hours ago, dgrissom said:

I know that INVISIBLE has opened a new topic on this.  However, I am curious on actual batch file examples to do the fg99 commands. So far, all I am able to do is throw my FinalGrom error light on ? .

I will try and address these this evening, it's a bit too much for my lunch break...

I haven't seen the scrambled screen issue when I run in MAME without an F18A... I must have an uninitialized variable... 

I'm trying to focus on a round of 'quality' updates instead of features so this is timely info. 

There should be a way to ECHO a blank line... it might be ECHO \r, but I should fix that to work more like PC-DOS. or unix ECHO where you always get a new line if no args are passed... 

FG99 command is fickle... the software cannot see into the FinalGROM state, so all it can do is tell the finalgrom what you want, and hope... :)  

I have FCMDG.bin and FCMDC.bin in the base of my FinalGROM SD Card.  I also have TIXB_G.bin and TIXB_C.bin in that base directory.  With this, from within Force Command, I can switch to XB by entering:

FG99 TIXB_G

Notice, the .bin is left off... and I believe the cartridge image must be in the same directory as the one FinalGROM loaded Force Command out of.   You can put these in a menu... I have an old ugly menu sitting around, I will clean it up and write a simple nice one tonight. 

16 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

I haven't seen the scrambled screen issue when I run in MAME without an F18A... I must have an uninitialized variable...

If this refers to the wrongly set VDP RAM size - this is not correctly emulated in MAME. If the memory is set to 4K you will get a scrambled screen on the real device.

Thanks for looking into this.  

I am overcoming some of the issues by with experiment and correcting my mistakes.  

The load "prg" issue within the script file is one I can't seem to find the key to.  It works fine from the prompt.

I've tried "load DSK1.EDIT40" with and without the "DSK1." (And in different cases.)

Got the fg99 to work based on your instructions.

If I had a simple ea5 "call mount" command for the nano I could go crazy with this. (Not a feature request ? !)

48 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

WRONG - Force Command is for all 4A users with any sort of disk or disklike storage. 

Excuse me.  Since it seems to support the TIPI and since you were one of the developers of the TIPI, I assumed was written primarily for the TIPI, while it could also be used with legacy hardware (like how I use it with my P-Box version).  I know you've even gone to great measures to make it possible to copy from the TIPI to a legacy floppy controller, which indeed shows that you had other systems in mind.

In this instance, since he is waiting on a TIPI, and he appears to be a newbie, I described it like that for brevity and to distinguish between the two devices according to his individual circumstances and perceived "newbieness".  I'll not make that mistake again.

1 hour ago, dgrissom said:

Thanks for looking into this.  

I am overcoming some of the issues by with experiment and correcting my mistakes.  

The load "prg" issue within the script file is one I can't seem to find the key to.  It works fine from the prompt.

I've tried "load DSK1.EDIT40" with and without the "DSK1." (And in different cases.)

Got the fg99 to work based on your instructions.

If I had a simple ea5 "call mount" command for the nano I could go crazy with this. (Not a feature request ? !)

I do intend to build nanopeb call mount functionality in... I have a nanopeb on loan sitting here, but I don't really know how to use it. Still in the box... First try, I failed cause apparently there is a power switch. 

27 minutes ago, INVISIBLE said:

Excuse me.  Since it seems to support the TIPI and since you were one of the developers of the TIPI, I assumed was written primarily for the TIPI, while it could also be used with legacy hardware (like how I use it with my P-Box version).  I know you've even gone to great measures to make it possible to copy from the TIPI to a legacy floppy controller, which indeed shows that you had other systems in mind.

In this instance, since he is waiting on a TIPI, and he appears to be a newbie, I described it like that for brevity and to distinguish between the two devices according to his individual circumstances and perceived "newbieness".  I'll not make that mistake again.

I wasn't shouting at you, I was shouting at EVERYONE

Sorry,

Didn't mean to cause problems.?

Not a newbie.  Just getting a bit senile!  

I will introduce myself:

Past president of TIBUG (Bham AL TI user group) in early 80's.

Have owned Geneve and 2 Peripheral Expansion Boxes. (sold them in the 90's). 

Actually worked for TI as a Product Rep in the early 80's (Helped sell TI 99's). (Can't find my badge.)

Have completely built a Raspberry PI based in a 99/4a shell with a Teensy powered homebuilt TI keyboard/joystick interface.  I will upload the project later.

Was software developer for a Fortune 500 company in 10 years ago (VC#,VB).

Currently own 2 real iron TI's as well as the above described Franken99.

FinalGrom99, nanoPEB, and a few good carts.

I am a Professional lurker.

Also, I am retired, trying to stay healthy, and am trying to avoid confrontations.

Finally, I am totally amazed a what folks have done with this venerable computer!

I have yet to contribute a smidgen to the TI community as Omega has and appreciate everyone's effort in making my retirement hobby enjoyable!

Thanks and appreciation to all of you!

David

(Yes, I ruined a perfectly good but worthless Disk Manager cart as by SD card holder. -- Still have the board if anyone wants it! -- I think?!)

FrankenTI99.jpg

Edited by dgrissom
Needed another worthless comment....
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

I do intend to build nanopeb call mount functionality in... I have a nanopeb on loan sitting here, but I don't really know how to use it. Still in the box... First try, I failed cause apparently there is a power switch. 

I use mine all of the time and still can't find the power switch!  Maybe that's why to load function isn't working?

By the way, if I use a "call" to a small batch/script with a "load" in it the program works (Fred K's Edit40 ver. 3.0).  Go figure?

All nano based directory functions seem to work (directly or from a script/batch file).

Also,  I deleted a file from one of the drives -- from the command prompt.

With kludges (work arounds), all commands are working as shown in the menu below.

Regarding the "call mount), Fred K. has it built in to his CF2K program. I used the fg99 to call the CF2K and make the mount changes.  

image3.jpg

• Like 2

I get loud when I'm trying to correct perception... When I reply to someone, I do so with the entire community as the target audience. I don't want the community to assume everything I do is about TIPI... You shouldn't have to buy a TIPI to enjoy Force Command. ( Invisible == Omega...  I guess I missed that. ) 

One of my initial motivations was Omega reminding me of 4A/DOS... and well 4A/DOS driving me nuts, cause you can CD or the equivalent to devices that don't exist... so then you are 10 steps past the initial typo, and confused...

That too was great software and I bought it back in the 80s.. 

The other motivation was wanting to write something that acted like a language on the TI... and I wanted to do file management IO a little different... before building something more friendly like DM2K in support of TIPI... 

Feature after feature, and now I have some beta software that is as flaky as 4A/DOS... so time to stop with the features, and bring up the quality

---

Bug reports are contributions in my book! 

I'm a professional software developer, but I run a little fast and loose on the 4A... no code review, no automated regression tests... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

Bug reports are contributions in my book! 

I'm a professional software developer, but I run a little fast and loose on the 4A... no code review, no automated regression tests... 

That's the way I used to work.  I'd test my revisions, throw the installer on to the update server and wait for the telephone calls and emails.  I consider myself a beta tester on this software.  Any comments I make hopefully will avoid feature creep and improve the reliability of the software.

Again, my thanks!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jedimatt42 said:

I wasn't shouting at you, I was shouting at EVERYONE

@INVISIBLE - this was a horribly lacking apology on my part... Here is the one you deserve:  I am sorry and regretful that I directed undeserved shouting at you.  I am thankful for your enthusiasm and the quick aid you provide the community.

-M@

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

@INVISIBLE - this was a horribly lacking apology on my part... Here is the one you deserve:  I am sorry and regretful that I directed undeserved shouting at you.  I am thankful for your enthusiasm and the quick aid you provide the community.

-M@

Hey, no problem.  I can totally understand where you were coming from.  And boy, did I misread that guy!  He's no newbie at all!  I loved his term, "Professional Lurker".  It had me rolling on the floor.  

BTW - I've noted your comment about no new features for a while while you work on things, so just a heads up... I'm compiling a list of feature requests, so when the time comes...I'll drop the entire bomb in your lap and run for the hills. ?

On side comment, your Force Command has pretty much eliminated my use for 4A/DOS now, but I have to admit that one thing you disliked about it, I found useful.  It's ability to work with things that never existed back when it was developed.  I think that was one thing that kept that abandoned and unsupported program in the "useful" category after all these decades.

6 hours ago, mizapf said:

If this refers to the wrongly set VDP RAM size - this is not correctly emulated in MAME. If the memory is set to 4K you will get a scrambled screen on the real device.

No, and apologies to @Tursi I broke libti99 when I added the 80x30 column mode, as I extended a precarious pattern, and it got confusing... I owe him some more testing and fixing... there are still problems with his fixes to my mistakes, but his approach is superior. :) I'm hoping it just missed a spot... conio crashes anytime line wrapping happens.. :(  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, INVISIBLE said:

Hey, no problem.  I can totally understand where you were coming from.  And boy, did I misread that guy!  He's no newbie at all!  I loved his term, "Professional Lurker".  It had me rolling on the floor.  

BTW - I've noted your comment about no new features for a while while you work on things, so just a heads up... I'm compiling a list of feature requests, so when the time comes...I'll drop the entire bomb in your lap and run for the hills. ?

On side comment, your Force Command has pretty much eliminated my use for 4A/DOS now, but I have to admit that one thing you disliked about it, I found useful.  It's ability to work with things that never existed back when it was developed.  I think that was one thing that kept that abandoned and unsupported program in the "useful" category after all these decades.

Thanks!

Uh, what do you mean ability to work with things that never existed? I can understand sitting in a DSK device that has no media, but being able to sit in a DSK7 when you don't have a DSK7 at all or in my case in a directory that doesn't exist  was painful... it wasn't like you could "MKDIR ."

Or did you use going to a drive that doesn't exist as a sort of bad command quarantine spot? 

MDOS doesn't do a lot of input validation either... It is understandable these things written entirely in Assembly.. I'm almost cheating, using gcc and a big fat cartridge. I don't have any real excuses for compromise. 

9 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

Uh, what do you mean ability to work with things that never existed?

A couple of examples that come to mind...

4A/DOS works fine with the F18A in 80 column mode.  Granted other programs do that too, so it's probably attributable to the F18A's compatibility with other legacy video equipment.

4A/DOS is able to load up programs using the full path statements on a TIPI device, I thought that was kind of nice and useful before Force Command came on the scene.

4A/DOS also worked with the HDX when I had one as well.

The screen output was a little funky on sub-directories, but the fact that it even worked amazed me.

The FIX80 command, while it could never be fully automated was helpful during beta testing as it loads EA/3's and then executes them with the LINK command.

But yes, it can be rather irritating when you SETPRINT to PI.PIO in 4A/DOS, turn OUTPUT ON and then do a dozen directories listings, only to find nothing in your PDFS file afterwards, at which point you figure, hmmm, that must have been a function of Force Command and not the TIPI because there is nothing there!

I'd like to add commands to list the volume names on a nanopeb, and manipulate the mounts... I see the code in the fbForth manual for manipulating the mounts, but I cannot find any data on how to list the volumes. 

Does anyone have specification or code that details how to list the volumes? 

8 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

I'd like to add commands to list the volume names on a nanopeb, and manipulate the mounts... I see the code in the fbForth manual for manipulating the mounts, but I cannot find any data on how to list the volumes. 

Does anyone have specification or code that details how to list the volumes? 

Wrong audience I guess. I'll take this question back to the top...