IGNORED

testing ATR image

19Echo

over the years i bought out quite a bit of collections and along with them came anywhere from about 1000 to 2000 (maybe more) floppies. I intend to downsize and maybe donate to someone. havent decided yet, but i wanted to try and make some atr images before I do.

Can someone test this ATR before i proceed. I just picked a disk at random and i am using Atarimax sio2usb/10502pc with the pro image software just on my regular computer but would like to have it tested on real hardware. I'm not much of a user, just like collecting and all my computers are on the shelves.

A lot of the disk are user files/newsletters/what ever else. And i need to try to figure out how to name them. Dont know if there is anything really good but I'd hate to just have them sitting in my closet literally collecting dust.

Anyways, if someone could test this out, i'd appreciate it. just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

test1.ATR

• Like 1

98Juliet to 19Echo,

It's a go!

Our high speed demonstrator was dead on.

If any disk is protected or otherwise you'll need to make and ATX, or use the depreciated VAPI tools, It would help if you have an modified disk drive though.

98Juliet to 19Echo,

It's a go!

Our high speed demonstrator was dead on.

If any disk is protected or otherwise you'll need to make and ATX, or use the depreciated VAPI tools, It would help if you have an modified disk drive though.

Lima Charlie. I believe i have a 1050 with a happy drive, one with a us doubler and one with a red square button i havent quite figured out yet

And don't forget to pass on any stuff that's not personal, you may have a rarity in all the stuff and they need finding and archiving..

Paul..

yeah, i plan on doing everything that i can. I'm afraid that if i dont, these disk may not work in the near future. Ill be sure to touch base with you guys and if there is something i cant figure out, i may just donate to someone who knows what their doing.

Edited by 19Echo
  • Like 2

Lima Charlie. I believe i have a 1050 with a happy drive, one with a us doubler and one with a red square button i haven't quite figured out yet.

I'm always interested in seeing the 1050 upgrades. There were a couple of variations of genuine happy boards, and a whole lot of clones. The US Doubler was mostly just a 2-chip swap, but was also heavily cloned due to it's simplicity. First guess at a 'red button' would be a write protect override.

Anyhow, I'd enjoy seeing pictures of the insides!

• Like 1

I'm always interested in seeing the 1050 upgrades. There were a couple of variations of genuine happy boards, and a whole lot of clones. The US Doubler was mostly just a 2-chip swap, but was also heavily cloned due to it's simplicity. First guess at a 'red button' would be a write protect override.

Anyhow, I'd enjoy seeing pictures of the insides!

Let me get thru a few of these and ill see what i can do. Got 5 done and about a 100 more on this stack lol

• Like 3

Yes, I recommend you do the imaging with the drive top case off, so you can observe and directly clean the head with a qtip and isopropyl alcohol after each disk. With their age, it is pretty much guaranteed they will 'shed' material on the drive head which can inhibit a good read, or worse damage the disks as the buildup on the head starts scratching the disks further.

• 1 month later...

a tad bit above my pay grade. I can take the case off, but other than that i have no idea what I'm looking at

Given the age of these disks, many of them you may only get one chance at. It is important to clean the drive heads frequently to ensure thaat first attempt has the highest chance at success.

If you would like some help dumping the disks, you can send them to someone with a Kryoflux. I live in Ohio. If you cannot find anyone closer, I would be happy to dump them if you want to send them to me. If shipping cost is an issue, I can help there too.

I do not sell the disks I dump for several reasons, but the biggest is that if someone buys ones and then dumps it and it is compared to the one I dumped, then we have a false preservation and if there is an issue with the disk, we will not know it.

I am much more interested in preserving this legacy than making money off of it. In fact, I've already got several hundred dollars invested in this.

PM me if you are interested in sending them to me.

Thanks.

-Todd

• Like 1