IGNORED

Classic games tracker approaching 2 million minutes of gameplay

carlsson

The "What have you ACTUALLY played" gameplay tracker was started by cvga in the 2600 forum back in October 2008, ran with excellence for many years by thegoldenband and since the beginning of this year is maintained by me.

In March 2014, it was highlighted on the AtariAge news that the Activision game Kaboom! had reached a total of 100,000 minutes of recorded gameplay, which itself was amazing. Five years later, it has doubled its figure and currently sits around 215,000 minutes!

In the current week, which will be summarized early next week, we are looking to reach another milestone: we will have logged a total of 2 million minutes of gameplay since the beginning!

Of course anyone is welcome to enter, either measure your gameplay down to the exact minute or give estimates rounded by 5 or 10 minutes. You don't have to be a regular, though it clearly shows that if you make it a habit to log your times and your scores, you will want to play more as not only do you have highscores to beat but also become the biggest contributor of gameplay... or do you?

For those who think 20th century games are dull and only serve as collector's items, there is an equivalent modern tracker (also ran by me, coincidentally) which handles all systems from year 2000 and onwards. For a long while it was dominated by Xbox One until everyone started to buy Nintendo Switch. Systems from Sony are also represented, but less regularly.

Happy gaming!

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

The tracker may have slowed down a little recently, but for next week we'll exceed 2,200,000 minutes so it took about 14 months to get the last 200,000 minutes.

Anyone is welcome to enter at any time, for a single week or for several years to come. Exact measurements or rough estimates, as long as you include system, games and times.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@carlsson

Say,  I was just curious.  Have you ever compiled, (using this info of course) a Top 10 list of the Most played Classic games?    It sounds like Kaboom! is Number 1.  I was just wondering. 

Also I don't know if that is something that can easily be done.  BTW,  I'm not suggesting you go back and put forth some gargantuan effort, but if it's something that's easy to look up,  I'd be curious.

• 6 months later...

As a small bump, the classic tracker last week exceeded 9,900 different games listed. Some are hacks of others but a good majority are unique titles. While this number grows slower than the number of minutes played, it isn't unthinkable that it will reach 10,000 games before 2021 is finished. That would be an average of 3-5 previously unlisted titles every week.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...