IGNORED

What's the BEST Atari 2600 joystick.

toddtmw

On 5/13/2019 at 9:02 PM, Gemintronic said:

Besides a Sega Genesis pad? An original Playstation controller to Genesis adapter plugged into my 2600.

Gamepads have always been more comfortable for me, obviously :)

wait wait you use a Playstation 1 stock controller on your vcs???? do you like it more than the Sega Genesis controller?  Can you utilize the D-Pad buttons *and* the little thumb joystick?  no not the little thumb joystick im guessin just the d pad buttons right.  what kind of adapter do you need? 

Edited by chewy

before i hooked up Genesis pad I used the TAC-2 which was the most decent i could find for reasons we all know but it sent a ton of static to the screen on each movement and the buttons were far from perfect.  I'd say the whole joystick thing is a total scam.  Atari game maneuvering never got off the ground till you fine people at atariage came thru over the last few recent years.  sega genesis pad allows my hand to ergonomically rest on the controller in a normal fashion, this, plus excellent button capability makes it a winning controller for me.  i mean i know that trick was prob around before atariage but 2 button yars revenge hack was not. you can actually play it now.  you do not make it easier, by splitting the control, you just make the controls more manageable- what was it before,like a double button push or something

Edited by chewy

12 hours ago, AlwaysOnPlanetPatrol said:
8 hours ago, Kaboomer said:

Could you please expand on this a little? Inquiring minds want to know...more! :)

Not that big of a deal; I got the 7800 input board, bought a Genesis joystick extension chord, my own arcade joystick and buttons.   Soldering the fine wires was challenging, but it works like a charm.  A good little project.

I suspect Wyluli did the same with his cool looking controller;

On 7/19/2019 at 4:04 AM, chewy said:

wait wait you use a Playstation 1 stock controller on your vcs???? do you like it more than the Sega Genesis controller?  Can you utilize the D-Pad buttons *and* the little thumb joystick?  no not the little thumb joystick im guessin just the d pad buttons right.  what kind of adapter do you need? 

It's been awhile.  Not sure where my adapter went.  I used a playstation to genesis adapter from Tototek.  I've also tried one of those Seagull 78 adapters in the mix.  Only original playstation joysticks work.  Only tried the D-pad.  

Went back to genesis joysticks as they always seem to be around the office no matter how clean or messy things get :)

I know, I'm in the minority but I actually like the proline a lot. I prefer it if I have to hit angles precisely (I.e. Double Dragon, Kung Fu Master, Commando, Ikari Warriors). I feel the original 2600 controller lacks that precision. Even updated version like Hyperkin's trooper while better than stock still suffer from that lack of precision

I recently got a Retron 77 which came with the 2nd version of it's "Trooper" joystick.  It looks like a CX10/CX40, but has two fire buttons (either corner, fired the same) and faceted corners for your palm to rest.  It also has an embedded strain relief and a really long cable.  So far, I've found it to be really great.  I know people had issues with the longevity of their initial run of joysticks, but I've not had any issues with this one yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Trooper-Controller-not-machine-specific/dp/B07M5HYTZL

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

If you're in the UK ZipStiks are where it's at. It's a better made CompPro5000 (microswitches allround and an excellent autofire). I'm gonna add a proviso to the TAC-2 argument. I had one back in the day and it was my favourite stick ever. However I bought one recently NOS and it was useless. Turns out the original sticks (where the shaft is actually a tyre valve with a metal sleeve) are where it's at. The later ones (plastic shaft with a metal stem inside) really don't have the pliability of the original sticks. I tried desperately to like it and hated it. Now the originals are expensive and hard to come by, where I can get ZipStiks easy, so I have three of those instead.

As for what I actually use on my 2600 most of the time... It's an original stick that's been modded with tac switches. Love that thing. All the nostalgic feel, with none of the sloppiness.

3 hours ago, ahofle said:

Sorry to dredge up this old thread, but where can one find the Best Electronics CX40 upgrade parts to purchase? I nearly had a seizure trying to navigate the Best Electronics website ( https://www.best-electronics-ca.com/joystick.htm#PCB ) looking for a purchase link.

No purchase links. You either send them an e-mail (put "Atari" in the subject line), or you call by phone.

On 5/12/2019 at 8:41 PM, Skippy B. Coyote said:

These days there are plenty of people making Atari 2600 joysticks with real arcade parts, so take your pick. My preference is a Sanwa JLF joystick with an octagon gate and a Seimitsu PS-14-KN button, though Happ buttons with soft touch microswitches are great too if you like the more American classic arcade feel.

In any case I don't think there's any topping real arcade parts for smoothness and precision, and while there's a ton of people building Atari 2600 joysticks with arcade parts these days I've had really good experiences with Edladdin so I'll toss his controllers my vote. You get top quality parts and a really sturdy well-made housing that's big enough to sit comfortably across your lap with his controllers.

For a more budget-conscious option I really like AtGames's Atari Flashback wired joysticks. All of them from the Flashback 4 onward are really well built (earlier revisions had overly long contact tabs inside that were prone to snapping off, but the later revisions are rock solid) and feel a lot like Best Electronics' upgraded CX-40s but with a slightly smoother joystick and a lot less actuation force required for the button. They're my favorite non-custom Atari joystick. :)

Like so ?

http://dannygalaga.com/db9.html

DSCN3413.jpeg

Edited by danny_galaga

• 2 months later...

Has anyone experience of an ArcadeR? https://retroradionics.co.uk/#!/DELIVERY-FROM-USA-•-ArcadeR-9-pin-ATARI-standard-Joystick-•/p/296743034/category=0 

Most of the CX40's I have are a bit ropey and unresponsive now - just wondering if anyone has one and their thoughts before I think of a purchase.

And just whoopee ..  the UK£ is at maybe it's lowest against the US$ in like forever.  Exchange rates, import taxes and crazy postage costs are no one's friend..

On 5/8/2019 at 6:40 PM, wongojack said:

When I was 11 years old, I would have said Wico. Today, I think it is the CX40 (or the flashback version). Nice short throw let's you get serious about high scores. When it is working, it can't be beat. Just try to beat your high score on Frostbite or Dragonfire with a Wico vs a CX40.

I wish there was a CX40 design with 2 buttons that worked on the NES and 8 bit computers.

My 12 year old hands might have agreed, but my 53 year old ones don't.  The boot on it is irritating to my skin and the joystick causes cramping.

I've been using the tac 2 joystick lately.  It's a pretty good stick.  I suppose you can also try a Genesis joystick, assuming you can get one.

Another joystick I like is the original Atari joystick (not the CX40, but the ones originally made in California. Unfortunately, they are also called CX40 I think. From the outside, other than missing the word "top" from the up position of the stick, they look exactly the same. But they are entirely different inside.  They are easier on the hands than the later ones, but the boot is still not very nice on your skin.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 2:30 PM, bcombee said:

I recently got a Retron 77 which came with the 2nd version of it's "Trooper" joystick.  It looks like a CX10/CX40, but has two fire buttons (either corner, fired the same) and faceted corners for your palm to rest.  It also has an embedded strain relief and a really long cable.  So far, I've found it to be really great.  I know people had issues with the longevity of their initial run of joysticks, but I've not had any issues with this one yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperkin-Trooper-Controller-not-machine-specific/dp/B07M5HYTZL

That is what I am using; bought four of them, 1 is finally wearing out, can't use it on Jr Pac-Man anymore. Also paid close to $100 for the special made two arcade joystick to play robotwar 2084, it works really well.

15 hours ago, christo930 said:

My 12 year old hands might have agreed, but my 53 year old ones don't.  The boot on it is irritating to my skin and the joystick causes cramping.

I've been using the tac 2 joystick lately.  It's a pretty good stick.  I suppose you can also try a Genesis joystick, assuming you can get one.

Another joystick I like is the original Atari joystick (not the CX40, but the ones originally made in California. Unfortunately, they are also called CX40 I think. From the outside, other than missing the word "top" from the up position of the stick, they look exactly the same. But they are entirely different inside.  They are easier on the hands than the later ones, but the boot is still not very nice on your skin.

Can't do anything about the cramping, but these newer silicone boots are really nice. A little softer and react with the skin differently:

https://www.best-electronics-ca.com/CX40 Super Boot.htm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, save2600 said:

Can't do anything about the cramping, but these newer silicone boots are really nice. A little softer and react with the skin differently:

https://www.best-electronics-ca.com/CX40 Super Boot.htm

The fully gold upgraded Best electronics CX-40 controllers are wonderful. They are really a whole different experience in the “best” ways.  

Ive owned CX-10s that I’ve restored, Suzo Arcades, Slik Stiks, custom made joysticks like the Edladdin controllers, Wico joysticks, and probably some that I’m forgetting.  

Nothing feels as right for playing 2600 games as the best electronics joysticks.  

I think the Edladdin controllers are really the Rolls Royce of aftermarket controllers however. But they don’t have that original feel like a CX-40. Although that doesn’t matter when you just want to enjoy your games.

I imagine most consoles are like this when you use the original controllers for that specific console.  

• Like 2