IGNORED

MyIDE II not working on NTSC 1200XL with Antonia 4MB

irich2

I have contacted Mr-Atari directly (awaiting reply), but I thought in the meantime I would also tap into the collective wisdom and experience of the forum for assistance. Here is my situation:

I have two MyIDE II cartridges (both were purchased in April 2019), one with the original workbook and MyBIOS software that Mr. Tucker ships with, and one that has been updated to Mr-Atari's latest MyBIOS-V04. Both work great with my NTSC 800XL with U1MB installed. I also have two SIDE2 cartridges, both updated with flashjazzcat’s 2018 firmware, and they both work great on my NTSC 800XL U1MB AND my NTSC 1200XL with Antonia 4MB installed (Antonia 4MB Upgrade also purchased in April 2019). Unfortunately, neither MyIDE II cartridge works with my NTSC 1200XL Antonia 4MB.
My 1200XL motherboard is DA 213 Rev. A. It has had its composite video cleaned up and +5V restored to the SIO port. All 1200XL IC Chips remain installed with my Antonia 4MB (in other words, only the 6502 CPU and MMU IC Chips were removed to install the Antonia 4MB). I also have Sophia DVI (NTSC 1280x1024) upgrades installed in both my NTSC 800XL U1MB and NTSC 1200XL Antonia 4MB. The results listed below were the same with composite and Sophia DVI video (the Sophia DVI video just looks much sharper and clearer).
Here are the combinations I’ve tried:
OPTIONS RESULTS
Antonia 4MB Stock MyIDE II Upgraded My IDE II (MyBIOS-V04)
RAMBO 1MB, Stock XL OS, Rev C BASIC No screen (Dark) Lit screen (Scrambled Title Screen)
800XL 64K, Stock XL OS, Rev C BASIC No screen (Dark) Lit screen (Scrambled Title Screen)
130XE 128K, Stock XL OS, Rev C BASIC No screen (Dark) Lit screen (Scrambled Title Screen)
RAMBO 1MB, My-BIOS-ROM-FMP (V04), Rev C BASIC Lit screen (Jumbled Colors/Characters) Lit screen (Scrambled Title Screen)
I've read in the AtariMAX forums and here in the AtariAge Forums that there were issues with Antonia and MyIDE II compatibility, and that Mr-Atari was working on a solution, but I never saw any resolution or solution offered for a NTSC 1200XL with an Antonia 4MB (unless I missed that memo somewhere???).
Does anyone have a NTSC 1200XL with an Antonia 4MB that they have used successfully with a MyIDE II cartridge? If so, what and how did you do it? If not, is it that these two pieces of hardware are simply incompatible with each other and therefore simply will not work together?
I don’t know what else to try. Any and all suggestions for resolution (whether compatibility is possible or not, I just want to know for sure one way or the other) are welcome.
Thank you all for your assistance and feedback.
Have a great day!!
irich2

There is information about grounding and 1200XL cartridge reliability, while there are more than likely other issues. I did not see it on your list of things you had done. Might be good to do a search on such 1200XL mods and fixes... Always a good idea to cover all the bases.

the 1200xl has cartridge port access issues - some carts dont go in easily. could this be the problem?

also, can you easily "de-antonia" the 1200xl? if so, it would be worth testing the MYIDE II cart this way to narrow down the cause of the fault

*** UPDATE ***:

Thank you all for your suggestions and comments. They are greatly appreciated!!

Thread here:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/254160-antonia-4mb-operational-questions/

Confirmed issue, but work on a fix appears to tail off.

Thank you for pointing this thread out, flashjazzcat. It was a very informative read, and I see what you mean by the fix appearing to tail off, since the last post was in late February 2017. Hopefully now with a little prompting from me, we might see a solution here in 2019.

the 1200xl has cartridge port access issues - some carts dont go in easily. could this be the problem?

also, can you easily "de-antonia" the 1200xl? if so, it would be worth testing the MYIDE II cart this way to narrow down the cause of the fault

Great suggestion. I've done a new round of testing to narrow down / confirm the suspected cause of the problem.

I forgot to mention that I use Dropcheck's 1200XL Cart Extender Board with a 3D printed case made by Corei64. This combination looks and works GREAT, so I have no problem plugging in any Atari 8-Bit designed cartridge into my 1200XL.

I "De-Antonia'd" the 1200XL (restored back to stock CPU, MMU, Rev 10 OS), but left the Sophia DVI in place. In this configuration, the MyIDE-II cartridge works perfectly!! I was able to load and run programs from the Main Workbook Menu Screen, as well as be able to run programs via the FAT32 Loader option. Both of my MyIDE-II cartridges (one with stock configuration, one with updated MyBIOS-V04) work similarly well. No issues.

I also decided to test my other multi-carts as well, so I can tell you that these work without issue as well in the Stock + Sophia DVI configuration: TheCart!, Ultimate Cart, UNO Cart, AVGCart, and SIDE2.

I then reinstalled Antonia, and selected one of the default XL OS with Atari Rev. C BASIC options (the Antonia comes with all 8 slots filled with Stock XL OS and Atari Rev. C BASIC). I then tested all of my multi-carts again. All of my multi-carts that I listed above work without issue in the Antonia + Sophia DVI configuration EXCEPT for the MyIDE-II carts. The MyIDE-II carts produce the same results that I listed in Message #1 above.

The reason of the problem has just been found, so the solution should appear soon.

Simius's statement above concurs with two private e-mails I received from Mr. Tucker of AtariMAX and Sijmen (Mr-Atari). Both mentioned phi2 signal abnormalities that are produced by the Antonia upgrade as the source cause of the incompatibility with the MyIDE-II cartridge. I'm sure that Simius's upcoming fix will include addressing these phi2 signal abnormalities.

My Antonia board is a Rev. C with the latest firmware as of April 2019 when I purchased it (which, by the way, is there a way to tell exactly what version of the firmware I'm running, without having to hook up a USB Blaster and running the Altera Quartus software?), so I don't know if the upcoming fix will involve just a firmware upgrade to the Rev. C board, a new Rev. D board with existing firmware, or a new Rev. D board with new firmware. Regardless, I look forward to the fix, in whatever final form it takes.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I wonder if the cause is related to the issue I have using Antonia with SIDE2 in a 600XL. "PHI2 issue" sounds suspiciously similar to issues with SIDE2 in the 800, supposedly requiring modifying the cart port to supply a different timing signal?

I have found the reason and provided complete information to the author of the MyIDE II (indirect). I was hoped he would find the solution in the core. But there is also a simple hardware-wise solution. You will need a 330ohm 0603 resistor, 150pF 0603 capacitor and to cut one track (under resistor) - accordig to the attached pictures. 

20190806_215718.thumb.jpg.fa2488a324bf87b063ffd16f59b24832.jpg

20190806_215026.thumb.jpg.70209e081b9d16ddfdda177a37dddb5d.jpg

• Like 1

after reading the entire thread, it would seem certain Antonia firmwares work and others don't with the NTSC 600XL and different carts... perhaps a match up of what works with what is in order. Glad to see most of them work with the firmware ndary mentions/links in the thread. Looks like Mr. Atari was having fun as well.

perhaps it's time to route through the junk drawer and give it another try.

Edited by _The Doctor__