IGNORED

Knabber Rob - Who want this new game ?

tanuki

Hello Atarimaniacs ;)

I am proud to annouce our new game for Atari 2600 : Knabber Rob.

It's an action-adventure game, created by Jason, from Gemintronic. I think you all know him ^^.

Knabber Rob will be available on our webshop monday 13th, but until this day, let me give you a few details about the game.

Your hero is a bat.
You have to place back all the artifacts of the game in their respective chests under 10 minutes.

Once an artifact is carried a directional hint towards the appropriate chest will appear during screen transitions. Try to reach your goal in the shortest time possible!

Want more ?

-Most screens will consist of open areas with walls that cannot be passed without flight. Even with basic flight walled off screen boundries cannot be passed. Screen boundries can be negated by soaring.

-Fast moving water areas can be traversed by flight though movement is effected.

-Maze screens will confuse the players sense of direction. Exiting warps you to a random location.

-Castles contain artifacts.

-Cavernous chest areas provide a drop off point for an artifact. Each item has its own chest screen.

-Dragons will always be present and wait for you ;)

1557397724-capture-1.png

1557397727-capture-2.png

More to come until monday ;)

• Like 4

So it's kind of like a reverse Adventure?

More or less! The bat is tasked to put back all the items into their respective chests. The dragons - being *wonderful co-workers* - harass you and try to drag to off to a random screen.

You can return the items to their chest in any order. But, each item has a specific chest. Thankfully, Knabber Rob has a sort of echo location ability that points him in the general direction of each goal.

• Like 1

According to Côté Gamers:

The Official Title is therefore knabber rob. Funny Title? Not really, " to knab " in English means " seize with the teeth " and " to Rob " is " flying ", in the sense of Shirk. So this is the question of flying with your mouth and when you know that the character you're going to lead is a bat, we understand the title better, right?

Knubberrub is the semi official name of the bat in Adventure. I wanted to pay homage by having a similar but legally distinct name front and center. :) "Knabber Rob" seems to have bat-like connotations in French.

Haha. We like the idea to pay hommage to adventure but in the same time we also try to explain the title ;)

But I am here for the great news : Knabber Rob is on preorder now on our shop: http://cotegamers.com/shop/en/atari-2600/29-knabber-rob-atari-2600.html

You can preorder in english, if you have any PB please tell me ;)

You'll have a box + manual + making of + cart + sticker, all with professional quality !

Don't forget to choose "books and brochures" if you want to avoid expensive shipping costs.

1557774775-couverture-definitive-et-titr

• Like 2

It's a great concept, and definitely looks promising! Ideally, I would like to play a demo before buying it. At the very least, I would like to see a video of gameplay. Failing that, I will probably wait to hear user feedback or reviews before purchasing.

• Like 1

Same here. Definitely interested, and I understand you probably can't release a demo of the Rom, but a video would be great...

Here's a very rough video playing through the first difficulty level. Sound is way down. This is not official media from Côté Gamers.. just the developer moving the joystick around and barely winning :)

The row of yellow dots on the bottom left denotes items still misplaced. The row of yellow dots towards the bottom right are items placed in chests. So, you get a feel for how close you're getting to completion.

• Like 3

This it it. We need to know exactly how many copies we'll produce as it's very expensive to make a game for A2600 nowadays.

Cool. I am trying to buy it but I don't understand the shipping options. I would rather pay more and get it within 10 days, using 'Mondial Relay', but does that mean that the item gets shipped to one of the business options listed when you chose it?

Also, I just noticed that by choosing that the payment option isn't available. Is the books/magazines the best option for me then?

I like in Aberdeen, UK. Sorry for the hassle :)

Edited by mhodgeshvs

Cool. I am trying to buy it but I don't understand the shipping options. I would rather pay more and get it within 10 days, using 'Mondial Relay', but does that mean that the item gets shipped to one of the business options listed when you chose it?

Also, I just noticed that by choosing that the payment option isn't available. Is the books/magazines the best option for me then?

I like in Aberdeen, UK. Sorry for the hassle :)

Hello

If you live in UK you have 3 options:

•postal service (la poste): expensive, but you'll have your game within 1 week

•mondial relay: not so expensive, but you'll have your game within 10 days

•books & brochures (livres et brochures) : cheap ! But you'll have your game within 1 month. There is no tracking, so we'll not exchange the game if there is a problem with shipping

►If you want to receive it quickly, choose Mondial relay,

►if you want it cheap, choose Books and brochure ;)

Note that with books and brochures you can avoid to pay customs fees if you live outside Europe (I say that for everybody).

Thank you for the explanation. What I was trying to explain is that the mondial relay doesn't work. It was the payment method is not available, and I was wondering if that is just because I am in the UK or if there is something wrong :)

Hello

If you live in UK you have 3 options:

•postal service (la poste): expensive, but you'll have your game within 1 week

•mondial relay: not so expensive, but you'll have your game within 10 days

•books & brochures (livres et brochures) : cheap ! But you'll have your game within 1 month. There is no tracking, so we'll not exchange the game if there is a problem with shipping

►If you want to receive it quickly, choose Mondial relay,

►if you want it cheap, choose Books and brochure ;)

Note that with books and brochures you can avoid to pay customs fees if you live outside Europe (I say that for everybody).

Thank you for the explanation. What I was trying to explain is that the mondial relay doesn't work. It was the payment method is not available, and I was wondering if that is just because I am in the UK or if there is something wrong :) I'm ready to buy, just want to make sure I choose the best shipping option.

Sorry for the delay ;)

We understand the problem with mondial relay, it ask customers to choose a relay but in uk mondial relay deliver directly to customers. We are looking to repair it ;)

If you want to avoid any problem you can pay directly through paypal the total for the game + shipping with mondial relay : 55.20€.

Mondial relay is the best for uk customers ;)

There have been some questions about the controls and level design. So, here are my programmer rough instructions on the topics :)

CONTROLS:
* If either DIFFICULTY SWITCH is set to PRO directional clues are disabled during screen transitions. Hard mode is indicated by the bat icons holding chalices.
* SELECT toggles between 3 game modes with varying maps: Simple, Normal and Semi-Random. Game mode number is displayed at the bottom center of the screen. A coinciding number of bat icons appears in the middle.
* RESET reboots the console
* FIRE button confirms selections and progresses screens outside of gameplay. In game FIRE allows the bat to fly higher and faster past screen boundaries. Timer must be purple in order to use this ability. Knabber Rob will squeak when soaring is activated.
* JOYSTICK/DPAD press the joystick in the direction you intend the player to move. Pressing against walls can help induce flight. Please note that your bat will sometimes move of its own accord.

GAME MODES:
This game features two hand designed 256 screen worlds and a 256 screen procedurally augmented map.

#1 Is the simplest world map. Each castle is always vertically aligned with its respective chest screen. Chest locations are adjacent to eachother. There are less impossible maze areas to get lost in.
#2 Is the normal quest mode. Castles and respective chests are located all across the map. More impossible maze areas are present.
#3 Castle and chest locations are the same as the normal map. Some screens are randomized and may change in subsequent mode 3 playthoughs. Please note after resetting or powering the system off the playthrough count will revert back to 1.

Thank you for the detailed, honest write up. The inaccuracy of the magic minutes timer is a sore point for me. But, I recognize it as my own limitation as a programmer. If a sequel is wanted I'll skip the timer entirely and use a plain numerical counter :)

• 4 months later...
54 minutes ago, Karl G said:

I just got a refund on my order for this game saying that it had been cancelled. I'm curious as to what happened? 

Côté Gamers Hello everybody. Let me first apologize for all the inconveniences about Knabber Rob. The game is good, all was going right about this project but unfortunately we had 2 problems. The first one is the number of persons interested by the game. We often publish games in very short number but this time the sales were really poor, not strong enough to allow us to publish it.

Perhaps it's because we are french and people who like Atari 2600 are american for the most part, perhaps it's because we were not competent enough to sell the game. The fact is we were not able to produce it with less than 15 copies sold.

The second problem concern myself as director of Côté Gamers. My father died and I had hard time to help my mother and organize funerals ... I let the project "as it" for a month. It's my fault, Jason has nothing to do with that. I personnaly present my apologies to jason and all the atari 2600 community for this 2 problems.

Regarding the game, we sent a mail to our customers in july, to ask them if they were ok to wait and see if we could be able to publish the game. We had only a few answers and we tried then to sell the game to shops and to advertise about it. But let's be honest, we still haven't enough people interested by the game.

We'll reimburse everybody very soon. Please believe us, the game is good and if you can buy it from jason, don't hesitate.

Again, I personnaly apologize for the delay and hope you'll understand the situation.

Thanks  neotokeo2001 for the post ;)

If anybody can sell the game and want our help to relay the information on our facebook, twitter or else, we will help with pleasure.

We can give the illustration of the cover we had for our box for free too.

Regarding the shipping cost, The most part of people bought the game with "books and brochures" shipping. It's not expensive, count less than 10$ from France to USA or Canada. We never had any problem with our games for ColecoVision but games for Atari 2600 seems far more difficult to sell ^^. I don't know, sometimes you have to learn form your failures ;)