IGNORED

Will Wii U games play in 20 years?

So the Wii U was the first generation of Nintendo games that received patches and updates. It makes me wonder; will most of the games be playable 20 years down the road when the servers are gone and the updates are no longer available? Actually probably 5-10 years from now....or now.....since everyone seems to have written off the Wii U about 5 years ago.

What are your thoughts?

Many of its best games were released on the Switch. I hear that Wii U emulation on PC is coming along. The games are covered from that perspective.

Are there games on the Wii U that won't run unless they phone home first? I would think that anything that required a system patch would include it on the disk.

I don't see why it should be a major problem, since any disc game should be playable and complete unpatched. I think a bigger concern for Wii U down the line is simply the lack of units sold. I draw a comparison with Jaguar (and others) in that it didn't sell well, so it will cause the value of the consoles to go up many years later. On top of that, the Wii U Gamepad wasn't available as a solo purchase at retail (afaik) so as more and more Gamepads break, it will make complete working consoles even rarer. There are many games that require the Gamepad to function properly, so that will be the biggest bottleneck in the long-term future.

• Like 2

Updates notwithstanding, I'm more concerned about the discs themselves. I've run into not one but TWO Mariokart discs that have micro scratches from the topside that render the games useless. I've done some interwebz reading and it seems this is a thing for the Wii U, and other Bluray based games discs.

Let's just say I'm going to extremely careful when buying used Wii U games.

I don't think the Wii U is that much different from other systems of this era. The games are going to play if you can find a working system combined with a working game. That's going to be harder over time with all the disc-based systems. The patch thing I don't think really matters in the long run - most games don't ship as a buggy mess, so they're still perfectly playable even without the patch. (Some games just won't let you play online if you don't have the patch, but you won't be able to play older games online anyway in the future.)

I do agree that working Wii U systems in general will be hard to find in the future. Ultimately I'm not sure how sought after the system's going to be, though, because probably 90% of the good stuff on it will be on the Switch. I can see real diehard Nintendo fans wanting one, but it's probably going to be more of a collector's system than something people buy to actually play all those Wii U classics on. So boxed/pristine ones will be through the roof expensive, while beat up regular ones won't be worth jack.

• Like 1

I don't see it being an issue for *most* games. A select few do require large updates in order to play, like Xenoblade Chronicles X.

What I would like to see is a list of games that require patches in order to play so people can start to think about workarounds for those. The Wii U is easily hacked and so that will be what people have to look into for games that can no longer connect to download servers.

I wonder whether once the PS3, 360, and Wii U stop updating games whether we'll see consoles sold at a premium because they are loaded with fully-patched versions of popular, exclusive games.

I have thought about this as well; as i've pondered looking for an Xbox 360 with Afterburner Climax already on the HDD.

I have thought about this as well; as i've pondered looking for an Xbox 360 with Afterburner Climax already on the HDD.

I *almost* made the exact same post the other day. So if there are two of us looking for systems for just this one game, I can imagine this will become more prevalent over time as games get delisted.

I feel like publishers might at some point just do away with the idea of "ownership" over these games though; you're already seeing the beginnings of that with some of the services. Eventually when a game is delisted, you won't be able to play it even though you had it before. It'll be more like Netflix. So I think this period of time when you even *can* buy a console for its preinstalled games is probably temporary.

• Sad 1

Afterburner Climax is back on mobile as part of Sega Forever.

If you bought it on PS3 or 360 it will remain in your download list.

If you didn't buy it the first time around, shame on you, I guess? But it's just a game.

Don't hate me but I'm pretty sure I bought this but never played it. Or hate me if you must, my life will go on. Should I play the game?

I don't see why it should be a major problem, since any disc game should be playable and complete unpatched. I think a bigger concern for Wii U down the line is simply the lack of units sold. I draw a comparison with Jaguar (and others) in that it didn't sell well, so it will cause the value of the consoles to go up many years later. On top of that, the Wii U Gamepad wasn't available as a solo purchase at retail (afaik) so as more and more Gamepads break, it will make complete working consoles even rarer. There are many games that require the Gamepad to function properly, so that will be the biggest bottleneck in the long-term future.

I hear what you're saying, though the Jaguar is probably a bit of an extreme comparison. The Wii U didn't sell all that well, but was mainstream and sold well over 13 million units. The Jaguar was a novelty item where only a few hundred thousand were ever even built. Nintendo sold over a hundred million Wii U discs too.

Edited by DracIsBack
  • Like 1

I have a couple of old Xbox 360s that I got from Shopgoodwill. Because of this thread, I went through the games of one of the units, which still "logs in" with the owner's username when turned on.

There's a delisted game demo on the HDD: Poker Night 2. The game features characters from other videogame properties. There was no reason for it to renew the licenses for these characters because the game company was about to go belly up, so the game was delisted.

To me, that's no reason to keep this console around, but it would be interesting to get a list of the most desirable delisted games.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Was that one publicized?

I hate it when they quietly just disappear. Almost missed out several games like Sega Rally Online Arcade, but have gotten lucky and happened to buy several games I wanted just weeks before quietly getting pulled. 

So far I've only missed out on two Data East PSP Minis that I wanted to buy and Mercury Hg for the PS3/360. Mercury particularly annoyed me as a fan of the previous PSP releases (And the PS2 and Wii games). I went to buy it months ago and saw it was gone off the Xbox and Playstation marketplaces, but GameStop still had PS3 codes. 

But instead of buying it then, I waited and figured I'd grab it a few weeks later. Then I completely forgot about it until about a week after Sony forced online retailers to end sales of DLC and game codes. I knew that was happening since Sony publicized the change and I even made sure to buy the delisted PSP version of Activision Anthology for my PSTV (Delisted but GameStop still was selling codes), but just forgot all about Mercury Hg.

And Flojo mentioned Yaris. That one was so bad it's deleted on my 360 and I've even deleted that I ever played it from my Xbox game history. Wasn't even a good game for the achievement hunters since I bet I spent 20 minutes on it and didn't get a single one. 

Edited by Atariboy
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

The games themselves likely will be fine. Most patches are done for the sake of patching and largely not needed (regardless of console/game) I find it far more likely that the gamepad is going to be the week link, as finding a battery will be an issue in short order, it's a required part, and, as the system only needed one, there are far fewer of them than other controller types. Just under that will be the optical drive, this is the week link on most disc based consoles, but I imagine like pre 2k disc consoles, by then, a fix will be available.