32 members have voted

1. 1. ATTENDING

• I am strongly interested in attending
    • I am slightly interested in attending
    • I live too far away to attend
    • I have too many commitments to be able to attend
    • I am not interested at all

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

my wife and 12 year old even said they would like to go. unbelievable.

I may have her make some shirts for pre-purchase for everyone to wear. What do people think about that?

I'm not going, but I'm even interested in that (depending on what it looks like).

Hopefully it'll come in fat man slimming black.

my wife and 12 year old even said they would like to go. unbelievable.

I may have her make some shirts for pre-purchase for everyone to wear. What do people think about that?

That sounds great! Are you thinking of creating some event-specific graphic, or a generally TI-99ish shirt?

I delegate all that to you :)

On 5/29/2019 at 3:04 PM, Albert said:

What can I do to help support this event since I'm in Austin?

..Al

I appreciate that, Albert.

Here are some things I need volunteers to do:

=================================================================
Volunteer jobs
=================================================================
Attend the July 17 (3rd Wednesday) meeting for 99/4ATX business, during Hackerspace member work night.

Preparation jobs:

• Buy tablecloths if desired (the tables are kinda scratched up.)
  • Test the projector (is it working?)
  • Solve videoconferencing (we need a Zoom Pro account if anyone has it, the free one won't be enough.)
  • Snacks and drinks

August 8 and 9
  • Move computers
  • Setup room
August 10
  • Pick up Food
August 11
  • Tear down
Special jobs
  • Produce souvenir electronic badge
  • Write software for badge
  • Produce flyers
  • Produce newbie guide to hand out to visitors

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Shift838 said:

has anyone come up with an agenda for this event or demos yet?

I was asked to show the TI-99/2 & TI-99/8 emulators. I could do that as a demo.

Shift838 you got a geneve BBS? That would be interesting.

P.S. I could also show my PARSEC for the Atari 2600.

Edited by hloberg

14 hours ago, Shift838 said:

has anyone come up with an agenda for this event or demos yet?

I made a schedule as a shared Google doc. You can add what you're bringing and schedule a demo time. 

Or you can wait to pick a demo time when you show up, or not even pick a time. The event comes together from what people want to share. Most of the weekend is unstructured time.

Scheduled demos should be from 15 to 40 minutes, and you can choose to broadcast it or not (for online viewers).

You can announce on this thread what you're bringing. 

We have the classroom for main activities, but the lobby is another place for displays, and there is a lounge/kitchen.

Links

41 minutes ago, hloberg said:

what be a good time for a little discussion on using MAME for 99/2, 99/8 and such? And will there be a projector to attach to a laptop?

How about a Sat afternoon slot? Up to you. 

There is a gigantic LCD screen to share. There is usually a projector. With a proper screen. (I think the lamp EOLed, I'll ask if its back.)

If you need any hardware continuously, like a TV or composite monitor for regular TI output, or a VGA/DVI/HDMI monitor, request that on the Google Doc.

I took Saturday @ 3pm for a discussion on TI emulation. how setup MAME/MESS etc...

Any one else want to demo or have some instructional?

Also, the local manager of the Game Over is a TI-99 owner and is planning to attend and said we can put some leaflets in his store for the fest. Any ideas for something I can print out?

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, hloberg said:

I took Saturday @ 3pm for a discussion on TI emulation. how setup MAME/MESS etc...

Any one else want to demo or have some instructional?

Also, the local manager of the Game Over is a TI-99 owner and is planning to attend and said we can put some leaflets in his store for the fest. Any ideas for something I can print out?

That's great! About talking to the Game Over manager. (Which store? I found an E/A cart at the one on Anderson Ln.)

Do you want to work on a postcard or leaflet? I wonder if we can get some postcards into Classic Game Fest?

(BTW I contacted the guy who is demoing the TI version of IRATA.online at CGF.)

I'm still working on a vector art Texas License Plate "99/4ATX" logo in CorelDraw (A GIF is in lo-res on the Facebook event). 

• Like 1

A cheap leaflet will be fine. let me know what you think we need to put on it and I'll create it.

It's the Game Over in Selma in NE San Antonio. The manager got has TI-99/4a recent. We talk about it every now and then. The 3 Game Overs in SA area actually have a rather decent collection of TI carts. I bought 3 from them on sale last week.

A thought, for him being so nice we might want to give his store a shout out at least.

Edited by hloberg

26 minutes ago, hloberg said:

A cheap leaflet will be fine. let me know what you think we need to put on it and I'll create it.

It's the Game Over in Selma in NE San Antonio. The manager got has TI-99/4a recent. We talk about it every now and then. The 3 Game Overs in SA area actually have a rather decent collection of TI carts. I bought 3 from them on sale last week.

A thought, for him being so nice we might want to give his store a shout out at least.

Sorry, I forgot Game Over was in other cities and that you were in N.B.! The store(s?) in Austin sponsor Classic Game Fest on Jul 28.

Leaflet could have the important details (from top of this thread) and some photos of TI gear/screens. You can put your Parsec 2600 in it!

You could offer them an ad space in the leaflet. Do what you think will make them feel good!

I can pay for color printing at Fedex or wherever.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 10:37 AM, hloberg said:

P.S. I could also show my PARSEC for the Atari 2600.

Do bring your Atari 2600! 

That gave me an idea. Do you have any ideas for a Parsec 2? 

There were  some insightful comments by matthew180 about Parsec's shortcomings on "least favorite game". We have F18A (matthew180's creation) and I'm mindful there was never a showcase game for the Geneve (9938 video chip). So much greater graphics capabilities could be used (full screen scrolling... larger sprites..) That's as far as I've imagined it.

matthew180:

Parsec.  I liked it back then, but it put too much effort into the scrolling effect that the rest of the game really suffers for it.  When I see games that Scramble that Rasmus did on the same hardware, Gradius on the CV, Knightmare on the MSX1...  Parsec could have been much more.

And the scrolling in Parsec really didn't add anything to the game like, say, R-Type scrolling does. In reality the actual game play kinda sucked in TI99 Parsec.  I did address some of the game play issues in my Parsec 2600 variant such as not breaking the game flow with having to refuel but making it it's own screen among other things.
I'm working through were I go next after Parsec 2600. My distributor wants me to do a Intelvision version. I also had several request for other systems too.

I have toyed with kicking Parsec to the next level & making it more like R-Type (one of my favorite games). the elements are there they just need to be addressed properly.

But, I have a long list of projects already in the works such as MULE for the TI99. So no telling when I'll get to that.

For anyone that is going please let me know if you will be wanting a shirt and what size.

I will post a picture of what they will look like soon as well as cost.  Must be pre-paid.

anyone that wants one that did not attend I will quote a shipping cost to you as well.

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1

Shift 838 I'll be giving a short talk and handing out CDs with all the MESS/MAME I had got to work: TI/994a, TI99/4ev, P-Code, gramkraker, Geneve, 99/8+Hexbus,99/4,Tomy Tutor... would you be willing to talk about your Emulated TI/Geneve BBS Ran with MAME/MESS or are you already planing that?

2 hours ago, hloberg said:

Shift 838 I'll be giving a short talk and handing out CDs with all the MESS/MAME I had got to work: TI/994a, TI99/4ev, P-Code, gramkraker, Geneve, 99/8+Hexbus,99/4,Tomy Tutor... would you be willing to talk about your Emulated TI/Geneve BBS Ran with MAME/MESS or are you already planing that?

Yes.  I want to put up a demo of the BBS and how it functions with the hardware and serial emulation.  I also would like to demo my OoeyGUI for MAMA.  Do you want to include it on your CD?  I have an update to publish for it.

heck ya, I loved to add your BBS to the CD (maybe end up a DVD in no time flat). DM, post or email if it's small enough. And any other demo-ing of any thing else will be cool. just carve a time out on the schedule.

edit: just checked at uncompressed I'm @ 3gb of stuff. I guess it is a DVD now.

Edited by hloberg
add more