1. 1. ATTENDING

• I am strongly interested in attending
    • I am slightly interested in attending
    • I live too far away to attend
    • I have too many commitments to be able to attend
    • I am not interested at all

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, hloberg said:

I could have just changed the switch in the .ini but easier to just erase the file. 

Unless you have some important settings like paths or window size or others. On the other hand, most (if not all) settings can be done on the command line as a parameter.

Using command line parameters makes the setup even easier, since I could omit instructions to create and modify the mame.ini.

21 minutes ago, mizapf said:

Unless you have some important settings like paths or window size or others. On the other hand, most (if not all) settings can be done on the command line as a parameter.

Using command line parameters makes the setup even easier, since I could omit instructions to create and modify the mame.ini.

I think I learned something here. correct me if I'm wrong. command line settings in a batch startup (or typed) modifies the mame.ini if writeconfig is on. But removing the  command i.e. UI_ACTIVE from the batch won't change the .ini back. the .ini stays with whatever was the last change you issued with a command line in the batch startup.  

Indeed, I am learning things of MAME that I did not know before...

With writeconfig=1, a new file <driver>.ini is created (like ti99_4a.ini) next to mame.ini. This file overrides the settings in mame.ini. And, as you guessed, the command line options are copied into that file.

This is one of those features that some people wish to have, and others dislike. If you use MAME by simply starting the mame executable (e.g. by mouse click, funny idea...) you would probably find it handy to have all last settings restored.

I actually use writeconfig=0 because I want to be sure that I get a "naked" machine when I start it without parameters next time. I once had a problem with a cartridge, but each time I restarted MAME, it was inserted automatically.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FarmerPotato said:

Personally, it warms my heart that GuruSantiago had a student eager to learn 99/4 assembler. And spiffster took to learning fbFORTH. (Spiffster, your $20 for the fbFORTH cart was generous, but I can't keep it, must send it on to the author Lee Stewart.)

That is generous, but, seeing as how I did not donate the cartridge (and even if I had), I think you should keep it toward expenses for your next meeting.

...lee

2 hours ago, Lee Stewart said:

That is generous, but, seeing as how I did not donate the cartridge (and even if I had), I think you should keep it toward expenses for your next meeting.

Erik (@FarmerPotato) pointed out to me that I made this cartridge at the last CHI Friday. Ah, well—I am getting old. It is great to have another Forther (@spiffster) swelling our ranks!

...lee

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FarmerPotato said:

I underestimated how much effort it takes to run an event. Some stuff didn't work out right, but I still didn't hear any complaints? Please give us polite constructive suggestions :)

Do what? I don't have any complaints; I thought that you and Amanda, as well as everyone else involved, did a great job. Granted, this is my first time to attend an event such as this, so it kind of set the bar, but it is what it is. I enjoyed it thoroughly. At one point, I drove back home (about a 10-minute drive) to grab my Sinclair stuff, and my SO said that she could tell as I ran into the house how excited I was. Also, I was initially only going to attend Saturday, but that obviously changed. So yeah, great job, no complaints here.

55 minutes ago, Lee Stewart said:

Erik (@FarmerPotato) pointed out to me that I made this cartridge at the last CHI Friday. Ah, well—I am getting old. It is great to have another Forther (@spiffster) swelling our ranks!

...lee

Whichever, I have a new (to me) cart that I'm immensely happy with.  Even if he could go through the trouble to build himself a new one, @FarmerPotato was kind and generous enough to give me a cart that obviously held significance for him, and I'm grateful.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm somewhat familiar with Forth from my Spectrum clones, which also have Jupiter Ace ROMs, but alas no means to save or load programs. The Forth session wasn't all Forth, though; neither FarmerPotato nor I had any idea how to emulate DSK1 on a TIPI, so part of it was getting the environment set up.

I underestimated how much effort it takes to run an event. Some stuff didn't work out right, but I still didn't hear any complaints? Please give us polite constructive suggestions :)

absolutely no complainants! about the only improvement is we might need a bigger place next year. And that is nothing to complain about.

suggestion, before next year you might want to put together a local committee to off load some of the burden from you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hloberg said:

I just talked with one of the managers @ GAME OVER and they are interested in cross promoting the ATX TI-99 fest next year. They wanted to do it this year but couldn't get to it in time.

That's great! I'm thinking of my local store.. never seen the manager, just employees sorting boxes of games.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 12:52 PM, hloberg said:

absolutely no complainants! about the only improvement is we might need a bigger place next year. And that is nothing to complain about.

suggestion, before next year you might want to put together a local committee to off load some of the burden from you.

Hmm, bigger space.

The Hackerspace was no cost. It was just right for 10 people. Bigger rooms that I looked up now, I found $35/hour.

Kye suggested we could expand into the Hackerspace lounge. The lobby could be used more effectively. That could double the space. Protospiel (board game creators) somehow fit a couple dozen people into that area for a weekend.

It's possible new venues will open up soon. ASMBLY is in the final stage of leasing a makerspace, facilities as yet unrevealed. 

Other ideas are schools, somewhere at UT, at someone's workplace, church basement rehearsal space, on a riverboat, the party room at Pinballz Arcade, the new Central library, Texas Historical Society library (about twice that space), Dragon's Lair meeting room (same size as Hackerspace really), Hotel. One thing missing would be the ability to set up the day before.

• Like 1