IGNORED

PacMan 4k, 8k, and newer

JJohnson

P.S. The latest 8K version of new Pacman is this post:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/229152-new-pacman-for-atari-2600/?p=4131166

The added “cornering speedup” really make game play arcade accurate. If you play the arcade version, you will notice.

The final 4K version in that thread is amazing too - with cut scenes! Works on Starpath Supercharger.

• Like 1

My next questions would be: Is there an 8k on cartridge coming? And what would a 16k Pac-Man be able to improve on the 8k?

My first instinct was that the 8K version is as perfect as a 2600 arcade port could be. But then seeing what was done with Mappy-- who knows what a talented programmer could do to Pac Man with 16K?

My first instinct was that the 8K version is as perfect as a 2600 arcade port could be. But then seeing what was done with Mappy-- who knows what a talented programmer could do to Pac Man with 16K?

There's more going on in Mappy than Pac-Man though. A more detailed background that also scrolls, different level layouts, bonus stages, more characters and items to keep track of, background music, etc. I'd never say it's impossible to improve on Pac-Man 8K, but I don't think that bumping up to 16K would lead to anything mind blowing considering what's already there.

There's more going on in Mappy than Pac-Man though. A more detailed background that also scrolls, different level layouts, bonus stages, more characters and items to keep track of, background music, etc. I'd never say it's impossible to improve on Pac-Man 8K, but I don't think that bumping up to 16K would lead to anything mind blowing considering what's already there.

Agree, even just an extra 2K makes a big difference over 4K. The port at 12:30 in this review fits a detailed background that scrolls, bonus stages and background music into 6K but turns some of that memory into RAM to make it possible.

I think extra RAM either from the ARM, the SuperCharger or a memory scheme larger than Sara is more important than another 8K of ROM for adding features like that.

My next questions would be: Is there an 8k on cartridge coming? And what would a 16k Pac-Man be able to improve on the 8k?

The limitation, is not only the space available, but mainly the programming. You could make a 256K Pac-Man, that sucks ass.

• Like 2

Maybe there could be a 16K Ms. Pac-Man instead... the official version of Ms. Pac-Man was 8K, so I'm sure something could be improved on that to make it as accurate as 8K Pac-Man is.

A lot of the improvements noticeable between the 4K game developed by Dennis Debro and the 8K game developed by dintar are present in dintar's 4K version of Pac-Man (including the intermissions). The extra 4K isn't what makes it a better game.

Pac-Man is a pretty no-fills game when you get down to it. With the exception of a 2-player mode, there's nothing missing from the 8K game that doubling the ROM would make possible (and that won't take another 8K). Adding more ROM won't change the graphic limitations of the 2600 hardware itself or eliminate flicker. A 16K game would allow you to go beyond a straight port and add new mazes and different game modes, but not necessarily make a more accurate port.

• Like 1

Agreed, there isn't a whole lot to improve on here, Maybe a "Pacman Collection" like on the 7800 that includes MS Pac done in the same style?

• Like 2

I hate the pac man version that is on the flashbacks the 8k whatever one. I dont know what it is but it seems horrible.

Thought about it and its the flicker and graphics.

The orignal 2600 version beats it hands down way more fun.

Edited by Jinks
  • Like 1

I'd guess that a lot of the love Pac-Man gets (at least on the homebrew front) is from wanting to "right the wrong" of the original port. Of course, just because the original Ms. Pac-Man port was good doesn't mean I'd say no to an even better one.

• Like 4

I would love to see different programmers tackle Pac Man. I never thought Asteroids could get better and then came Space Rocks. I'm sure everyone would have a different approach and a different vision for their version. A compilation cart of these different takes would really appeal to me :)

• Like 1

I'd guess that a lot of the love Pac-Man gets (at least on the homebrew front) is from wanting to "right the wrong" of the original port. Of course, just because the original Ms. Pac-Man port was good doesn't mean I'd say no to an even better one.

I hate the pac man version that is on the flashbacks the 8k whatever one. I dont know what it is but it seems horrible.

Thought about it and its the flicker and graphics.

The orignal 2600 version beats it hands down way more fun.

I also like the original version of pacman and playing all the different ports like hizzy.

I think the only pacman "wrong to right" was taking KC Munchkin off the market; should have been released on the Atari instead! :)

The Retron77 console comes with a KC Munchkin which does not scroll and has very solid monsters, another version to enjoy.

This.

I mean let's be honest, 2600 Ms Pacman is adequate, but not stellar-- compared to Pacman, it at least made an attempt to be true to the original. BITD, that's all we asked from Arcade ports. We despised the games that didn't appear to make that effort.

• Like 1