IGNORED

Managing files for Raspberry Pi - What do you do?

wongojack

I'm gonna explain that I use Windows. I don't love Windows, but I've used it for years. I know a lot about it and have never had enough impetus to push me to using something else. Windows works, so I use it.

I tinker with all sorts of projects, and I like free stuff, so a free OS that lets me play tons of emulators on a compact device sounds right up my alley. I also have been using emulators for years and years. I'm constantly testing new emulators or discovering new games through emulation. I like finding homebrew roms or new romsets for systems that I've never tested. In most cases, my romsets are getting updated before each sporadic round of gameplay by 2 or 3 roms at a time. This means I'm moving roms from my PC to an SD card or another PC etc.

I kept avoiding building my own Pi, but eventually someone I knew offered to sell me a fully assembled one, so I thought I'd take the plunge and check it out. I don't remember what front end it is running. I immediately had a problem in that it wouldn't display in 720p. I had to attach a keyboard and look up a command to edit the config file to adjust the display type. It was at this point that I discovered I can't just pop out the SD card, put it in Windows and review the configuration options on a real computer. This was kind of a bummer because it also means that I can't copy any files to the thing using my typical method and patterns of sorting roms and copying them. I understand my options to be:

• Install a Linux distro on a spare PC
  • Buy a Mac
  • Set up an FTP server on the Pi to move files

Even if I set up the FTP, I'll still have to learn the right commands to move the files where I want them on the Pi file system, and it has to be hooked to an HDMI display any time I want to use it. That's an exercise that would be like 20x faster for me if I could just browse the SD card in Windows, and I could do it with my laptop on my lap . . . yak yak yak.

Anyway, I'm interested in what you folks do to update your Pi with new Roms. Do I understand my options correctly? Are you all running Linux? Is there something I am missing that makes copying that new version of DK Arcade over to your Pi easier?

Edited by wongojack

Most people use sftp to transfer files using a windows computer. Not sure what you mean by learning commands since most sftp clients, eg. Winscp, have a gui.

Sftp requires ssh on the pi, which is probably off by default. You can turn it on using raspi-config. If using Retropie you can access raspi-config through it's menu.

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/Transferring-Roms/

Here's more ways to turn on ssh on a raspberry pi.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/remote-access/ssh/

You could probably install linux file system drivers on windows and read the sdcard directly but it's not what most people do. The Raspberry Pi is a real linux computer. If it lacks a graphical desktop, it can be installed.

https://retropie.org.uk/docs/FAQ/#where-did-the-desktop-go

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

You can handle an FTP program, wongo. Load up FileZilla (free) and point it at the Pi, you'll see two file trees, one for your PC and one for the remote location. You can drag and drop between them.

The only thing stopping you from browsing the card on your PC is the card's file system. If you boot into Linux (you could boot from a pen drive, or load it into a virtual machine like VirtualBox (free)) then you could do what you're asking.

Neither of these is as much hassle as you seem to think, and learning the few tricks you need will be rewarding -- and useful for other projects like this.

You can do it! And there are lots of how-to guides and friendly people who can help if you get stuck.

• Like 1

Another option is standard windows file sharing. Linux is compatible with windows file sharing with a linux component called samba. I think retropie has some default samba shares. Try opening windows file explorer and typing in "\\retropie". Shares to other folders have to be setup which is why most people just use sftp.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

So yes, I guess my assumptions were correct about the various choices.

Thanks for the links (and encouragement). I know about Samba and how it is different than FTP, but I didn't get far enough to figure out how/if it is on the Pi. I also think I read something about how it works from Linux to Windows but not the other way around, but that could just be quotes from Jackass Magazine. Anyway, I'm fully aware that I CAN do these things and the availability of information is never the problem. Time is the currency in short supply here. There are just very simple things that slow it all down. I don't even know what the Pi is named. Does it even have a machine name for network addressing? How do I get it to tell me its IP? I don't even remember if it has a wireless adapter. If it does, I don't know how to tell it to connect to my network. I have to look up info just to figure crap like that out.

Regarding other commands - it's not so much moving the files to an FTP share, it's then putting them exactly where I want them on the Pi. I assume that is a separate step. It would be on any other FTP server. Copy X to Y folder in this order and A to B on another subfolder for homebrews in blah blah blech . . . There goes all my free time on two Saturdays.

At some point, I guess I will more than likely just pull out an old computer and load a full Linux build on it, but I just haven't gotten there. I can't really think of a good reason to do it except to learn some new things. That's motivating but also doesn't seem like enough. I can play every emulator on the Pi in Windows already and could download new ones and their roms without even half the time investment. I think the thing that would get me to do it would be if/when the emulators in Windows become worse than those available for Linux OR maybe if devices like the Harmony cart or the U1541 stop supporting files from the Windows file system. Until then, I don't know why I would dink around with this stuff (for retro gaming). With so many servers going into virtual state environments where Linux OS is as common as Windows (or moreso) I'm kinda hoping that in future versions of Windows they will just make it so files can go back and forth.

So . . . I guess if someone wants a fully assembled Pi3 with a SNES style controller, ping me. I'd be willing to sell mine. I bought it from a user here on AA, but I can't find the for sale post to link right now. The case is smooth with vents and there is a power switch on the cord. I think I paid $160 for it.

Edited by wongojack

What makes it worth $160. I figured half that.

Seriously, you're spending more time writing your posts then the time to find your answers. It's pretty basic. And ssh use to be on by default saving you from having to touch the pi, but they changed that for security reasons. It might be on in your case and ready to remotely connect to your pi.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

I don't know if it was a good deal or anything. It was a friendly transaction, and I didn't haggle. I don't really care about that, and I'm not really looking to sell the thing.

I seriously doubt that it would take me less time than writing these posts. I think just opening/reading the links shared here would take me longer but point taken and thanks for your input. You've clearly done a lot of self discovery in this area already.

Edited by wongojack

Do you want me to build a disk image for you to load up yourself? You would just flash it to your SDcard and stick in the Pi. Done. Or send me the image of what you have and what you want to add to it. This stuff is really easy when you know how. Learning it is a better use of time than playing video games anyway! ;-)

I still think the easiest route is VirtualBox on your windows machine, Linux in there, Mount your SDcard, add files to folders STRAIGHT FROM WINDOWS thru the VM, done, wongojacks's your uncle.

• Like 2

Thanks for the links (and encouragement). I know about Samba and how it is different than FTP, but I didn't get far enough to figure out how/if it is on the Pi. I also think I read something about how it works from Linux to Windows but not the other way around, but that could just be quotes from Jackass Magazine. Anyway, I'm fully aware that I CAN do these things and the availability of information is never the problem. Time is the currency in short supply here. There are just very simple things that slow it all down. I don't even know what the Pi is named. Does it even have a machine name for network addressing? How do I get it to tell me its IP? I don't even remember if it has a wireless adapter. If it does, I don't know how to tell it to connect to my network. I have to look up info just to figure crap like that out.

Dude.. as someone mentioned above, you just open up Explorer on your windows box on the same network.. and browse \\RETROPIE. That is its default name on the network. You can ping it too if you want to find out the IP address. And right there you'll see the \ROMS folder. The majority of stuffs you can do just right there in Windows Explorer as normal and copy & paste from your hard drives to Rpi folders to your hearts content :)

post-31-0-45587100-1557521535.jpgpost-31-0-78939200-1557520632.jpg

Alternatively FTP isn't that bad.. just get a free FTP app like FileZilla (which I just googled now) and boom. Transfer files all day long. But again that's all preference since you can simply use Explorer.

Also alternatively you can just use good old free PUTTY.EXE to SSH into your RaspberryPI (default login/password: pi / raspberry) and control it from your computer. That way you can run commands, or launch RetroPie_Setup to use things like Skyscraper or get skins or whatnot without having to have a keyboard plugged into your RPi.

post-31-0-93529300-1557520919.jpg post-31-0-33739900-1557520928.jpg

Also alternatively :lol: If you'd rather sit at your Rpi and control it, I use one of these tiny keyboards for mine. Since it's used for a small arcade machine it doesn't make sense to always have a keyboard attached, but this fits the bill. :)

61nbJ5L%2BgbL._SL1000_.jpg

• Like 3

How do I connect it to my wireless network?

N/M - I just went and looked at it and it has an Ethernet port. I'll just wire it up. If it is really possible to just browse the file system then that will do the trick.

Edited by wongojack

How do I connect it to my wireless network?

N/M - I just went and looked at it and it has an Ethernet port. I'll just wire it up. If it is really possible to just browse the file system then that will do the trick.

Yes you really really need it on your network to do much with it.

Just one suggestion.. these days most questions can be answered simply via youtube. If you want to find out something about Retropie setup (or Retroarch setup, or getting Colecovision to work, etc.), there's most likely a youtube video out there. Yes, you get more in-depth info from Github documentation (e.g. if you REALLY want to figure out the usage details for an app like Skyscraper). But youtube often has the quick & dirty to get started for a lot of stuff.

e.g.

• Like 1

Yeah, \\retropie on the local network from windows should work. I try to keep my stuff more secure than that so it never even occurred to me! Good luck w-j.

While you're online you can scrape for box art and screenshots. Also note that any old usb keyboard will work, no need for that little monster ne146 posted. Those work too of course.

• Like 1

Do you want me to build a disk image for you to load up yourself? You would just flash it to your SDcard and stick in the Pi. Done. Or send me the image of what you have and what you want to add to it. This stuff is really easy when you know how. Learning it is a better use of time than playing video games anyway! ;-)

I still think the easiest route is VirtualBox on your windows machine, Linux in there, Mount your SDcard, add files to folders STRAIGHT FROM WINDOWS thru the VM, done, wongojacks's your uncle.

I guess I will take you up on this. If you send me a bootable Linux image, I can copy it to USB and try to start a machine with it. Don't put yourself out doing this though.

Edited by wongojack

if your using retropie or recallbox there's an option for usb rom support

you have to put the folders on a usb stick with the same names as RP is using from there you can have it auto copy onto SD card, or just run them off the USB (which is how mine is setup in a jag shell with a 120 gig msata ssd in a jag cart so whenever I want to fiddle with roms I just pull the cart and plug it in my pc)

anything outside of roms though you would need to use the network or do it locally with a keyboard

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

e.g. so in youtube I typed "put files in retropie" and there is zero shortage of tutorials of the various methods :) This one shows the explorer way but also how to get the IP address in case "retropie" name doesn't resolve.

• Like 1

Hey - thanks for the Youtube advice. I think I've got plenty of ideas about where to go to learn about these things, but I'm sure anyone else reading this thread would benefit from more ideas and links etc.

Personally, watching a video is NOT my preferred method for learning.

• Like 1

if your using retropie or recallbox there's an option for usb rom support

you have to put the folders on a usb stick with the same names as RP is using from there you can have it auto copy onto SD card, or just run them off the USB (which is how mine is setup in a jag shell with a 120 gig msata ssd in a jag cart so whenever I want to fiddle with roms I just pull the cart and plug it in my pc)

anything outside of roms though you would need to use the network or do it locally with a keyboard

This sounds like what I am looking for.

I haven't turned the thing on in months, so I don't know what FE it is using, but this would let me continue to tinker with the ROMs pretty much exactly how I wanted.

Hey - thanks for the Youtube advice. I think I've got plenty of ideas about where to go to learn about these things, but I'm sure anyone else reading this thread would benefit from more ideas and links etc.

Personally, watching a video is NOT my preferred method for learning.

Up to you. :) Retropie is very well documented in that case e.g. https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki Additionally, documentation for their components are often in Github as well, like https://github.com/muldjord/skyscraper (for Skyscraper), and themes https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/themes etc..

Re: Videos.. I agree but I don't think many sit and watch things the whole way through unless it's 2 minutes or so. I think most just use the ability to skip to the meat of what they're going for and boom, a 7 minute video turns into 30 seconds of info :lol:

• Like 1

I guess some other context here might be that I have many old PCs in my house of various ages. I can think of 2 that I know would handle Win 7 and emulators just fine, plus another pile of crap that probably would be like 3 - 5 other machines that might do it. I've been setting up new computers for like 15 years, so that part isn't a problem. Maybe I'm just coming at this with too big a swing in my brain from all that past experience.

This sounds like what I am looking for.

I haven't turned the thing on in months, so I don't know what FE it is using, but this would let me continue to tinker with the ROMs pretty much exactly how I wanted.

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Running-ROMs-from-a-USB-drive

https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Setup/wiki/Transferring-Roms

• Like 1

You are other thinking such a simple process.

Just copy the games from your Windows machine to a USB thumbdrive formatted for FAT32. Eject the thumbdrive from your Windows machine. Launch the Desktop on your Raspberry (type startx). Insert the thumbdrive in your Raspberry. Open the thumbdrive with Filemanager and drag the files to the proper folder on your Raspberry. Eject the thumbdrive (eject icon in upper right corner). Quit the desktop back to the command line. Type emulationstation and run your new games.

• Like 2

If it's retropie, "startx" might fail because the desktop gui is not installed (you can always add it). Alternatively you can run "mc", which is a file manager with a text ui. Most people use sftp from a remote computer so they don't have to bother with linux. If startx works than you do have a full blown linux computer on your pi.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

I haven't touched my RPi since I started this thread, but I did some more thinking about it and plenty of reading on retropie.org.uk.  Note that since I started this thread, it seems the wiki on GitHub has been officially moved to retropie.org.uk.  You can still read the wiki articles in the docs subfolder, but the wiki is no longer in use.

Here's a question - is there any rival or other project besides Retropie to build these images?  What are the alternatives?  If for example, I only wanted a specific version of MAME, or I wanted to experiment with beta versions of individual emulators.  Are there any non-Retropie instructions out there that I could read?