IGNORED

Raiden regional difference?

Macross_VF1

So I've had a Raiden cartridge for my Jaguar since I bought the machine back in 2005 or so. However I've never gotten it to work so I always thought it was broken or something. However, I recently found out that this particular game, while not specifically being region locked, was optimized for the region it was supposed to be sold in, ie the US or Europe. Could this be the reason that I've never gotten it to work? That I might have a US version when I have a PAL Jaguar? Also, is there any way to actually tell if a game is the EU or US version?

AFAIK, all carts should work fine on all systems. There are a few games, Raiden being one of them, that did have a PAL optimized version and those will have an E at the end of the product number on the label. You'll get a full screen on PAL vs black borders.

• Like 1

Considering the game was brand new and sealed in the box when I got it, it shouldn't be possible that the cartridge connectors are dirty. Of course that does leave the console connector. Still, I'm inclined to believe that it is the game that's defective. When I put it it into the console and power on, it takes about three seconds to get a red screen. If I instead deliberately insert the game improperly, for instance at an angle or not fully pressed down, I get the red screen immediately. To me it would seem that, when fully inserted, the game tries to load but fails. Anyway, thanks, you guys have at least helped me with how to identify EU and US games. Turns out that my Raiden game and one other in my collection are indeed the US version.

Edited by Macross_VF1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This question seems to pop up once in a while :P There are indeed two versions of Raiden.

Normally there are no different PAL/NTSC game versions thus Jaguar games work on both PAL and NTSC Jaguars. In general Jaguar games detect if they are running on PAL/NTSC and adjust accordingly.

However some early releases like Raiden, Crescent Galaxy and Dino Dudes did not take into account the extra lines of PAL and display a black border at the bottom of the screen. Later releases of these games (with the E after the product number) fixed this by either using the extra lines or centering the screen vertically.

Further there are two CD games (Dragon's Lair & Space Ace) that do not work on PAL probably because of timing issues. But it is easy to add a 50/60Hz switch to a Jaguar. A PAL Jaguar switched to 60Hz can play these two games without problems.

Robert

• Like 2

I do have a question does the Pal Raiden run any differently on a NTSC Jag?

I never noticed that the Raiden "E" version with PAL fixes runs any different on NTSC compared to the non "E" version. However since the non "E" version does not setup the video according to Atari's guidelines, it does not work on a SkunkBoard as that has a different initial video state. But the "E" version sets up the video according to Atari guidelines and that works without problems on a SkunkBoard.

Robert

I never noticed that the Raiden "E" version with PAL fixes runs any different on NTSC compared to the non "E" version. However since the non "E" version does not setup the video according to Atari's guidelines, it does not work on a SkunkBoard as that has a different initial video state. But the "E" version sets up the video according to Atari guidelines and that works without problems on a SkunkBoard.

Robert

I have a SkunkBoard I might just look into this just to see. hmm.