IGNORED

USB power for peripherals (1050, XF551 etc.)

NuY

So I'm trying to consolidate the amount of damn mains plugs for my Atari stuff (among others) and after searching previous topics, the 9v requirement of peripherals seems to be a bit of stumbling block.

I have absolutely no knowledge of power conversion and related topics, so can anyone electrical confirm if this solution would work for powering 1050s and the like, assuming the correct barrel connector is used?

A multiport fast USB charger such as this along with step up USB cables such as this?

And after typing that lot out i realised I was a bit of a dunce as 1050 etc. use AC power...Interestingly however, I did find this USB inverter that has completely the wrong type of connector of course, but shows that in theory (I think?) such a thing is possible.

Anyone any thoughts?

Your link is for a USB to an EL panel inverter. EL panels have unique power requirements - high voltage and very low current. In a circuit, an EL panel acts as a capacitor. My point is this inverter is not suitable for powering anything but an EL panel. FYI they sell EL inverters that can be powered from a 9V battery.

lord no!

you don't want that at all.... skull and crossbones!

also when people try to connected more than one 1050 turned on at the same time using the same power block without isolation, a loop can form causing drive resets...

1:1 isolation transformers can negate this.

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

My solution was a long powerstrip hidden under the table & using small, modern PSUs for all the 5V stuff. The 9V transformers are small anyway. IKEA sells ‚cable baskets‘ or conduits made of steel wire in their office furniture section that you can use to hide all the PSUs under the desk.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

My solution was a long powerstrip hidden under the table & using small, modern PSUs for all the 5V stuff. The 9V transformers are small anyway. IKEA sells ‚cable baskets‘ or conduits made of steel wire in their office furniture section that you can use to hide all the PSUs under the desk.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

That's a good idea, thanks. I'd like to get modern power supplies as there's no option to consolidate them. I did find these on Amazon - anyone any experience of using them?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/POWER-CO17945-Replacement-adapter-Switching/dp/B071FS2P86

615X%2BaJEQ2L._SL1100_.jpg

• Like 1

If you still have your original 9V AC transformers they're probably as good as the new ones. I don't think much modernization and progress has happened in the field of transformers. They're just two coils around a core, but then I'm no EE.

It's hard to tell the amps as they're not in the listing and the picture is too angled to really read it. To be good for the 1050/810 you'll need >2A, some say even more. Maybe ask the seller about the amps it can output. Anyway, it should be sufficient for the computers and the 850, don't know how much power the printers need.

This PSU has 2.1A.

• Like 3

That's a good idea, thanks. I'd like to get modern power supplies as there's no option to consolidate them. I did find these on Amazon - anyone any experience of using them?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/POWER-CO17945-Replacement-adapter-Switching/dp/B071FS2P86

615X%2BaJEQ2L._SL1100_.jpg

Not sure if youre in the UK (picture of adapter looks UK spec) but theres a good discussion of replacement 9VAC PSUs here http://atariage.com/forums/topic/281972-replacement-psus/page-3?do=findComment&comment=4274492 which has a couple of links to units that some of us are using. Edited by spookt
  • Like 3