Peter does it again!

:D

Peter

I just tried to extract the .ST file with .msa fle opener

and it seems that its been corrupted - the filenames

are all garbled.

Just trying to help

Edited by Wally1

That 'he' made over 1000 Atari game YT videos. Purpose is just to present games self, not how to play (except few cases), not to brag with playing skills. And there was lot of cheat activated too in many cases,

Still, I'm alone much better than ST Online Tournament http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=21744

And yes, still no good image for Son Shu Shi . 4 years passed since it is stated, and nothing. What matters for most is to have as much possible images. Quantity vs. Quality ? What you prefer ?

• Like 1

Let's see: Damocles: 1307 downloads. Mercenary 3: 1202 downloads. My hard disk adaptations. Did not get some complains about not working.

So, excuse me, but there are working copies - pardon, what copies ? On what system you want to run it at all ?

Looking TOSEC for floppy images: no Damocles. WTF ? Ahh, it is under Mercenary 2, and there is Mercenary 3 and one mission disk. Most likely, you can find same at planetemu.net .

Here are some hints and how to set Hddriver - for older stuff mostly: http://atari.8bitchip.info/GamexUsage.html

For gaming on Atari ST most important is to keep it as much possible standard, to not install RAM hungry SW. New solutions as NetUsBee USB storage drivers can be just not good for games.

And USB mouse will not work too, just to add - in many, if not most cases. Those C programmer folks just don't care for compatibility. EmuTOS people goes so far that blaming SW authors if something works not with EmuTOS, while it works well with all regular TOS versions. Really arrogant attitude. Especially in case of retro computer, where people running mostly old SW - or would like to run :) TOS is not flawless (and what is ?), but it is good OS and does what is expected - well, from realistic people. Just don't try using it same as some modern OS. Learn how to run it clean.

• Like 1

Let's see: Damocles: 1307 downloads. Mercenary 3: 1202 downloads. My hard disk adaptations. Did not get some complains about not working.

So, excuse me, but there are working copies - pardon, what copies ? On what system you want to run it at all ?

Looking TOSEC for floppy images: no Damocles. WTF ? Ahh, it is under Mercenary 2, and there is Mercenary 3 and one mission disk. Most likely, you can find same at planetemu.net .

Here are some hints and how to set Hddriver - for older stuff mostly: http://atari.8bitchip.info/GamexUsage.html

For gaming on Atari ST most important is to keep it as much possible standard, to not install RAM hungry SW. New solutions as NetUsBee USB storage drivers can be just not good for games.

And USB mouse will not work too, just to add - in many, if not most cases. Those C programmer folks just don't care for compatibility. EmuTOS people goes so far that blaming SW authors if something works not with EmuTOS, while it works well with all regular TOS versions. Really arrogant attitude. Especially in case of retro computer, where people running mostly old SW - or would like to run :) TOS is not flawless (and what is ?), but it is good OS and does what is expected - well, from realistic people. Just don't try using it same as some modern OS. Learn how to run it clean.

Okay thanks i did not see these i blame the game name changes (not buy you)

http://atari.8bitchip.info/SCRSH/merc3.html

http://atari.8bitchip.info/SCRSH/damocless.html

But i don't see the two Damocles data disks unless you packed them with Damocles hd package?

The only place i can find one of Damocles data disks is on POMPY PIRATES PP_042v2 for DAMOCLES MISSION DISK 1

and the main Damocles game on POMPY PIRATES PP_041 for Damocles (both in MSA format)

The other DAMOCLES MISSION DISK 2 (in ST format) here https://www.emuparadise.me/Atari_ST_ROMs/Mercenary_2_-_Damocles_Mission_Disk_2_(1990)(Novagen)/113738

Edited by 256 colors

The NetUSBee project is very interesting because it shows how it is possible to connect modern devices to an older cartridge port. It comes at a price though. As mentioned above, many games have conflicts with the drivers and the memory allocation. I don't think the memory allocation is about quantity of memory. My 4MB STe machine has 3.5 MB free after all my bloated drivers are loaded. That should be plenty. Games still crash though. Same story with HDDRIVER. Not all hope is lost. There are plenty of games that do run. Just be ready for bombs and crashed and have a second plan for execution.

PLM is correct. Run your ST machine as clean as possible without any modern drivers. At least minimize their ability to allocate memory. Then all is fine ... or, better at least. :)

I wonder what is the ideal ST machine. After experimenting and playing I'm beginning to believe a STe with 4MB of RAM, TOS 1.62, and PAL output is the perfect machine for games. A TOS 2.06 machine is great for massive storage and applications/utilities.

TOS is a very nice OS if you use it within its designed parameters. It's not a modern Windows 10 system that is designed to swallow every program and virtualize every pieces of hardware. Who knows what TOS would have grown into if Atari was still around? Maybe Atari would have gone through same pain as Microsoft did before arriving at "TOS X" with "GEM X".

Yes, NetusBee is nice piece of HW, and offers diverse useful features. But we need to know that cartridge port is not designed really for such expansions, actually design is only for ROM expansion of low capacity. There is no write support (WR line) at all. So, write is done with diverse tricks, like putting data for write in address to reading from cart. port. And that means slower work too. Then, mouse via it needs special driver. But many SW, especially games use direct access to original ST mouse HW (IKBD chip), so USB mouse will not work. This is similar to floppy access problem. SW will not work from hard disk because direct floppy HW access. HW emulators will work - well, with most of unprotected disk images. In same fashion, you may use USB or PS2 mouse via external adapter - what connects of course to ST mouse 9 pin connector.

Another problem I see with NetUsBee is slow data transfer. What may have diverse causes. May be that used USB chip is slow, but it may be driver SW, adapter design too. In any case, at least reading should be much faster.

Win 10 ... please no ... I had it, and that was PITA. I can not say really how could run any program, because it spent lot of time with updates. And updated self so much that got corrupted (on new HW) .There were diverse problems with drivers for video card and other. And that was intentional actually. They wanted me to buy new video card for Win 10, just that AMD can sell it. So they did not make Win 10 driver for older card (but not too old). There was so-so driver for it in Win 10 self, but settings were not present - it said that user needs to set brightness and contrast on monitor :-D I managed somehow to install driver for Win 7, and got those setting, but all that was annoying waste of time because greedy, environment polluting people. Now on little outdated Win 7, and it still runs almost everything I need. With disabled updates - no thanx. Update your own attitude greedy ones. Let me decide what to update and when.

Back to Atari and games: I did not Mercenary/Damocles mission disks, and so far nobody asked for. But they are for sure quality ones. So, it may be done one day ... Hmm, that will be good if could do it in one day :twisted: But often it takes much more. Chambers of Shaolin needed several days. Floppy loading is overcomplicated, needed to extract every custom file separately, test, repack and so on ... Now dealing with Harley Davidson - nice graphic too, and overcomplicated loading too, seems even worse. Plus, they use CPU user mode - in game - total stoopid and extra complication what has no sense, and just makes it work slower. And lot of short custom files. So, what will take some days yet . I think I deserve one of those 2 wheel monsters after all this - for at least one week fun :-D And I have driver license for motorcycles, since my age of 16 :thumbsup: