IGNORED

Tribute to SEGA PENGO - XB compiled game

Bleepbit

This game is really impressive. The graphics are very nice, smooth and colorful, especially considering that this is compiled basic, and the music and sounds effects are excellent on any scale. My only wish is that the first levels were a bit easier. [Edit: and it would be great to be able to "shake the border" like in the arcade game.]

Edited by Asmusr
  • Like 5

I have just had a chance to play with this game a little, and I like it very much! But I do have a suggestion for you that would improve the game. The sound effects in Pengo could be done using sound lists instead of CALL SOUND statements. Then they would play smoothly and without the brief hesitations that occur in the game as it is now. The main sound list player can be set to loop the theme music and the second sound list player can play sound effects as needed by the game without interrupting the theme music. You would need to use XB256 to access this feature. Sound lists and sound tables are described in the XB256 manual starting on page 12.

One thing you need to know is that you cannot paste the code for the sound table using "Paste XB". It has to be merged from disk. 1980gamer has used sound lists in his games with good results.

• Like 2

This game is really impressive. The graphics are very nice, smooth and colorful, especially considering that this is compiled basic, and the music and sounds effects are excellent on any scale. My only wish is that the first levels were a bit easier. [Edit: and it would be great to be able to "shake the border" like in the arcade game.]

Thanks! I thought to add the "shake the border" feature but the game would be too easy because it isn't quick as the arcade version so I added the time bar to make it more difficult.
About the first level difficulty I think that the player have to be just a little bit skilled to close it... this is the fun :)
To slow it I have to make the sound slower and I don't think the beautiful "Popcorn" deserves it :D
Thank you a lot for your opinion! You are a myth :)
  • Like 2

I have just had a chance to play with this game a little, and I like it very much! But I do have a suggestion for you that would improve the game. The sound effects in Pengo could be done using sound lists instead of CALL SOUND statements. Then they would play smoothly and without the brief hesitations that occur in the game as it is now. The main sound list player can be set to loop the theme music and the second sound list player can play sound effects as needed by the game without interrupting the theme music. You would need to use XB256 to access this feature. Sound lists and sound tables are described in the XB256 manual starting on page 12.

One thing you need to know is that you cannot paste the code for the sound table using "Paste XB". It has to be merged from disk. 1980gamer has used sound lists in his games with good results.

Thanks!
I think I will start to use XB256. In this moment I'm trying to develop another classic arcade tribute in standard XB... when I will finish it I think I will begin to use XB256.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Bye
Luca
  • Like 6