IGNORED

Switch lite coming...

I was really hoping for console-only, deck-of-cards-sized box packaged with a pro controller, but I suppose the 'lite' one might be up my alley if it's got a tv-out and still supports the pro.

The non-user replaceable batteries in the current unit are actually something I'm pretty unhappy with, and the lite version will at least do away with two of the three batteries. I really like AA batteries on game systems and controllers, since 1) they're cheap and don't need charging 2) I control/upgrade the battery technology if I do want rechargables, and 3) I can easily remove them for deep storage. But at least switch doesn't use lipo, which are all little fires just waiting to happen.

The system's killer app list (for me) has started getting pretty big too with mario maker 2 (I've never played the first) and virtua racing, adding to the older xenoblade chronicles 2, which was the main game that had my attention before. A good racing game, and a hardware facelift that cuts out 2/3 of my issues is surely enough to sell me a console.

Edited by Reaperman

I like your idea of a console only version Reaperman. It would be nice to have that and a lite portable version.

I'm not really in the market to buy another console or handheld, but I am a fan of what Nintendo has done with the

Switch software wise. Solid library of games for sure. My oldest son (22) who owns one praises the system constantly.

So I'll keep tabs on this thread.

i dunno- i guess i'll be the stick-in-the-mud that thinks there's really nothing to the articles that were linked except wishful thinking.

Furukawa said not too long ago that they were still supporting the 3DS for the near future even though they anticipate sales to plateau or drop off; Nintendo is positioning the 3DS as the entry-level system.

For my opinion, I think I'd rather see a higher-end system that has a beefier processor (or similar).

• Like 1

i dunno- i guess i'll be the stick-in-the-mud that thinks there's really nothing to the articles that were linked except wishful thinking.

You're right--my optimism made me temporarily forget the world we now all live in.

The rumors of a refresh have been swirling for a good while, and I'd allowed myself to believe we'd finally gotten confirmation.

I'm especially disappointed in myself this time, because usually I get to be the stick-in-the-mud. icon_razz.gif

But at least the Mario Maker 2 rumors finally got confirmed this year.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

"All that momentum might not bode well for consumers, argues Rhys Elliott a Content Marketing Manager at the gaming industry analytics firm Newzoo"

So they got some idiot to run his trap about something that might, possibly, maybe will happen and some people would think is cool, but others wouldn't.

Not worth a click.

I'm down for a "Wii U" style revision, where the unit can transmit to a base unit that displays on a TV and can use the Switch screen for menus like a Wii U game.

And if this is done Nintendo better patch or re-release Breath of the Wild to use the second screen as was originally intended.

I'm not a huge Switch fan but I might buy a handheld-only version (I already own the original). I think it would be better as a handheld system, but the current one is too big and unwieldy to really use it that way. Make it Vita-sized with the same games and internals and it would probably take over as my favorite handheld ever.

I know a lot of people love the Switch, and I think it's an interesting system, but for me there's too much compromise. It's really not great as either a handheld or a home system, because it's trying to do both. It's just good enough at both tasks. Making it more specialized one way or the other would be an improvement.

I'd love a consolized system with just the Pro Controller.

Hopefully if this rumor pans out and is a success despite it being a Switch that can't actually be switched, Nintendo will consider another take on the concept.

Edited by Atariboy

I'd love a consolized system with just the Pro Controller.

Hopefully if this rumor pans out and is a success despite it being a Switch that can't actually be switched, Nintendo will consider another take on the concept.

They did make a 3DS that doesn't do 3D, so there is a history of such things.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I'm in the boat of, while I love the idea of the switch, in practice it's not a very good system on either side. To big and complicated to be "handheld" and just awkward as a console. It's still a great system, but what Nintendo wants is a console with tons of parts and accessories to sell, while I imagine, a lot of people (like me) want a fully integrated handheld that just happens to hook to a tv.

Psp was about as close as that got, with a nice powerful handheld (for its time) that could be hooked to a tv.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah something like that. Even if a real "switch lite" is anything like that, there's the issue of, being a console first, I assume playing your games on it won't be as simple as " shove a game in and go" 

I don't know how switch saves games, but it was a pita on 3ds to get it to accept your profile on multiple systems. How is that going to work on switch? Do games save to cart, or the sd card, and can I just pull it from one and put it in another, or will I be jumping through hoops to change over, assuming I even can transfer games, profiles, and saves?

1 hour ago, Video said:

I don't know how switch saves games, but it was a pita on 3ds to get it to accept your profile on multiple systems. How is that going to work on switch? Do games save to cart, or the sd card, and can I just pull it from one and put it in another, or will I be jumping through hoops to change over, assuming I even can transfer games, profiles, and saves?

System Transfer was a ridiculous pain in the ass on the DS/3DS and Wii/WiiU. 

The Switch has cloud saves for subscribers to the Nintendo Switch Online program, which is super cheap. I assume the little Switch would still accept physical game cards, and of course your profile would download any purchased games.

I don't know how they handle copy protection if you have more than one Switch, but that should be clear enough once the official announcement comes out.

I wouldn't mind a smaller, more portable Switch. Mine doesn't get much TV time, and I don't have any physical games. So I'd want the ability to play from multiple locations (but not at the same time) if I were to keep two Switch devices. 

I believe a Switch Lite is coming but I don't believe those images, which are poor quality upscaled renders (just look at the buttons in some of them; they're noticeably blurry compared to the rest of the image). Nintendo would never release images like that and no accessory maker is going to break their NDA like this with their own.

It could look very similar to this, or it could look different. If you imagine a Switch without detachable joycons, though, there's not really that much room for interpretation. I personally hope it looks a little different because I think the shape without detachable joycons somehow looks a little Fisher Price, but if that's all they really did, then it probably will look similar to these renders.

The big question for me is just size and battery life (and whether it has a replaceable battery or batteries). If it's smaller than the original Switch and gets 8 or 10 hours of battery life, I'll probably buy one.

• 2 weeks later...

Those are some very fit, attractive young people. Obviously they don't spend all their time on video games. ?

The way they say "visit our website to choose the ONE for you" makes me think I can't have a second machine just for the road. It would be nice if purchased digital content and game progress could be synched via cloud between more than one system. Since they didn't talk about that, I suspect it's not happening. 

Edit: I see that this is a solved problem. I guess I could get a Lite and make it my "main console," and the TV-docked one can stay home with the perpetual internet connection, so it could pull a license as needed. Pretty fussy; I guess I'll just stick to the big one unless a cute yellow Lite falls into my lap. 

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/19/17879064/nintendo-switch-online-digital-games-multiple-consoles

• Like 2