IGNORED

Rant - 3 games I am not going to release.

BBWW

So mjarnold7 felt the need to make and sell boxes for Piggy Bank? Pretty cheesy on his part. This is not collecting, It is taking someone else work and making money on it. I asked the maker of the first box to please stop and he did. Now once again someone is doing it.

I really hate this crap! If you want to contribute to the community, pay to get a game developed and make your own damn box for it. Don't take someone else's.

The first time I've seen this was today on eBay. What the hell dude! This is wrong in so many ways. Intellivision Productions doesn't have a Copyright on Piggy Bank. I do!

I have Three games I'm ready to release and I might just keep them as personal property.

I find this kind of behavior very unsettling and takes the fun out of this for me. I have reported this to Ebay and am actually thinking of legal action. If you don't defend your IP it will be lost.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mattel-Intellivision-Homebrew-Video-Game-BOX-PIGGY-BANK-Box-Only/133049513404?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Df93b7c63c28548f1b039d5b689d5c079%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D133049513404%26itm%3D133049513404&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Adbe60e90-74e9-11e9-9951-74dbd1800b8c%7Cparentrq%3Aad75c4dc16a0ab6aa3ea7cc1ffd0c895%7Ciid%3A1

• Like 6

Unless the artwork or the text on the back of the box is yours he hasn't really copied much of anything of yours. Well, there is the screenshot that's from the game but that might be debatable fair use. And you can't lose copyright.

Edit:

Just to clarify, I'm not familiar with the artwork or game description on the box and don't know who created them. They could belong to BBWW.

Edited by mr_me

I doubt anyone would ever have felt the need to make a box if the game had been released with one in the first place.

It may not always be right,but that is what some collectors do.

I for one like all my games in boxes,I cant make them myself however.

Edited by wolfy62

while a box is good to have it does not make the game any more satisfying to play. Sure, it looks nice on the shelf but the game to me - box or not, is most authentic in it's originally released form.

Trends also appear to be changing with rom sales being quite popular now, go back a few years and many people only wanted CIB releases.

My copy of Piggy Bank would not feel authentic if I took it out of its bag and shoved it in a box that the publisher did NOT make.

I doubt anyone would ever have felt the need to make a box if the game had been released with one in the first place.

What the fuck? Are you blaming the publisher of the game right now? Dude :lol:

To be honest: I doubt mjarnold made this box himself. He isnt a guy who does something, he just uses the work of others to resell it. So I guess he just bought this box, of course much cheaper, from someone else. And I am completely with BBWW. Its his game and you should just respect his wish in this case. I dont care if its legal or not, I am not a lawyer. But its just wrong, even if its maybe legal.

I don't necessarily see a problem with a collector creating a box for a game that never game with one. I do however feel that communicating this to the games developer would have been the right thing to do ; especially if the box contains a screen shot or trademark of said game.

The box art looks very professional. This would have been a perfect opportunity to have two different artistic abilities combined for the INTV communities greater good

What the fuck? Are you blaming the publisher of the game right now? Dude :lol:

To be honest: I doubt mjarnold made this box himself. He isnt a guy who does something, he just uses the work of others to resell it. So I guess he just bought this box, of course much cheaper, from someone else. And I am completely with BBWW. Its his game and you should just respect his wish in this case. I dont care if its legal or not, I am not a lawyer. But its just wrong, even if its maybe legal.

No,I wasn't blaming anybody.

Just saying it happens.

They are using the name which I hold the copyright of for Video Games. Making a box for yourself is one thing, selling them is another. The photos of the game are a copyright violation on a commercial product.

We have a box and a re-release planned with added levels, CIB. Now I say screw it, why bother. Someone made the "second" box. What bothers me is not even a curtesy message. The first time I see this is on eBay? He did say the Game was "Copyright 2018 by Intellivision INC" on the box. That pisses me off! That is an out right lie and endangers my claim to the IP.

What this does was make protecting IP very difficult. If you don't defend your IP you lose it by law. Legal or not it is pretty slimy.

I have three games ready to go. Now I kinda don't give a damn if I lose the $4000 development costs. I am happy I did not go to print. I'll have something only CMART has. LOL

People's heads explode when orders are taken and THEIR money is tied up waiting for it. This pulls money out of my ability to release more games. Plain and simple.

The market is really screwed up right now. Games sold piece meal. First ROM, then Cart, Then Box, then overlays and instructions. How can we keep up.

Produce a real game if you want to do it, take the risk and make the investment, don't profit off the efforts of others. I would be afraid to release these new games as just a ROM as some asshole will just make carts out of it and make money.

Yes I am pissed.

• Like 5

That copyright notice on the box can refer to the art and game description on the box, which might belong to the artist and writer. Lots of people make video game books on other people's games and don't need permission to include game graphics, it depends on how it's used. I doubt the use of the name Piggy Bank here jeopardises your trademark.

There was no permission given. The Copyright doesn't assign to anything specific here. By law, general assumption would be to the publisher of the game. He gave credit to Intellivision Productions? But no used by permission! No mention that this game is the Intellectual property of someone else.

I have had to defend BBWW Trademark 4 times on various music sites. The damage to me is minimal from a financial perspective. However with several other Piggy Games in the works it does make it harder to defend.

I let him know that an official box was in the works from BBWW two years ago.

It is disheartening as someone who does this with profit not being the motivating factor.

They shouldn't be using the Intellivision trademarked logo without permission whether they credit Intellivision Productions or not.

It's just a box, no video game except for the screen shot. Do you need permission to make a box.

Edit:

Putting the, intellivision is a trademark of intellivision productions, text make it worse. The whole package with the traditional mattel style and the text gives the impression that it was made by intellivision productions which is misleading.

Edited by mr_me

Putting the, intellivision is a trademark of intellivision productions, text make it worse. The whole package with the traditional mattel style and the text gives the impression that it was made by intellivision productions which is misleading.

Logos are one thing, but most of the Intellivision game publishers in the 1980s acknowledged the Intellivision trademark on their boxes, so that's not really an issue.

If this box is supposed to be traditional Mattel style, it misses the mark by quite a bit. The back is nothing like what Mattel did.

I agree that nobody needs permission to make a box for something that officially doesn't have one.

Logos are one thing, but most of the Intellivision game publishers in the 1980s acknowledged the Intellivision trademark on their boxes, so that's not really an issue.

If this box is supposed to be traditional Mattel style, it misses the mark by quite a bit. The back is nothing like what Mattel did.

I agree that nobody needs permission to make a box for something that officially doesn't have one.

Coleco, Activision, Atari, Imagic didn't use the stylised intellivision logo and there was no mistaking who made the package. With the piggy bank box it looks like intellivision productions produced it, that's why it's wrong. They also owned the rights to that package look.

Things like this have occurred, are occurring ,and will continue to occur because there is a market for such behavior .. When a community or parts of a community support such behaviour it becomes normality ... Flaps wide open. ;) Anything goes in the intellivision retro gaming collector community..

This is an ugly trend that Ive seen here that have driven the common folk like me away from the hobby. There have been limited releases (Blix), secret releases (bcs tires), releases that were supposed to be cancelled yet show up on ebay (Smurf), boxes for those who know someone but not to the masses, prepaid games that never come to fruition and prepaid rom rooms that take forever to be uploaded and available.

Now we add to this unauthorized boxes. Sorry this has happened to you bbww as I have a solid respect for u in our prior dealings. Good luck with releasing and enjoying the hobby.

Ive enjoyed this hobby for many years, especially in the golden age of IntelligentVision. The market is now flooded and, even though some of the games lately look fantastic, the fun seems to be sucked out of hobby.

Maybe it will return, but Im not so sure ...

• Like 10

This is an ugly trend that Ive seen here that have driven the common folk like me away from the hobby. There have been limited releases (Blix), secret releases (bcs tires), releases that were supposed to be cancelled yet show up on ebay (Smurf), boxes for those who know someone but not to the masses, prepaid games that never come to fruition and prepaid rom rooms that take forever to be uploaded and available.

Now we add to this unauthorized boxes. Sorry this has happened to you bbww as I have a solid respect for u in our prior dealings. Good luck with releasing and enjoying the hobby.

Ive enjoyed this hobby for many years, especially in the golden age of IntelligentVision. The market is now flooded and, even though some of the games lately look fantastic, the fun seems to be sucked out of hobby.

Maybe it will return, but Im not so sure ...

+1 with this thought..

Well said and so true.

Years of escalating Sh t Sh w's , has led to this.. Addicts need their next hit , it doesn't matter how, where, who and circumstance's.

Hey has anyone seen Pandora maybe she can close those flaps...

• Like 1