IGNORED

Rant - 3 games I am not going to release.

BBWW

mMarnold7 said he did not make the box he just had them in his collection. I believe him. It's just weird that I never saw these being a heavy collector. Obviously someone hid the release from me.

• Like 3

mMarnold7 said he did not make the box he just had them in his collection. I believe him. It's just weird that I never saw these being a heavy collector. Obviously someone hid the release from me.

I was pretty sure this was the case. mjarnold has had me make boxes for him in the past so I didn't think he was producing them himself. For the record, he has always been on the up and up in my dealings with him :thumbsup:

I am also surprised at seeing this version of the box for the first time as well. If these were out there in any decent quantity you'd think they would have turned up before now. Unless this is the first of many to come? Hopefully not as I'd rather wait for the official BBWW release than see a bootleg take hold.

• Like 1

I was pretty sure this was the case. mjarnold has had me make boxes for him in the past so I didn't think he was producing them himself. For the record, he has always been on the up and up in my dealings with him :thumbsup:

I am also surprised at seeing this version of the box for the first time as well. If these were out there in any decent quantity you'd think they would have turned up before now. Unless this is the first of many to come? Hopefully not as I'd rather wait for the official BBWW release than see a bootleg take hold.

One offs of very high quality boxes can be had for as little as $25 each.

One offs of very high quality boxes can be had for as little as $25 each.

That could be the case then. My boxes are all handmade with the exception of the designs I have made for others where professional printing was used. So one offs are easy for me to make but I was unaware one could have a one off done using pro offset style printing. $25 isn't a bad deal considering how much some reproduction and fantasy boxes have sold for previously.

Clearly this was produced with more than a home printer. The fold scoring would indicate that. The design could have just been a bunch of stock illustrations put together with a theme.

post-35882-0-67563400-1558373875_thumb.jpg

The graphics art and the little pig by the title are from shutterstock.com .

Looking at the box again, I'd say the green title text is trademark infringement and should require permission to use.

The game name, code and original art from it would be covered by copyright, but unless BBWW has actively applied for a TM for the video game name "Piggy Bank" and had it registered, it won't be protected as a trademark.

BBWW, have you applied for a trademark?

- J

Piggy Bank the game is copyright protected. TM only covers Blah Blah Woof Woof. Trademarks are expensive. I doubt I would be granted a Trademark on a common name like "Piggy Bank" even if I tried. It's all part of doing business. Sometimes I'm OK with all the stuff that goes on here. I don't collect for other systems so I might be the same there as well.

I felt strongly enough about wanting to get permission for Parsec that I had the game reworked when I could not. I could have just released it and violated abandoned IP but decided not too. Maybe that was a bad move. LOL I may try again to get it.

If apple computer can trademark an apple than bbww can trademark piggy bank. Things got a little complicated with apple records when apple computer came out with itunes.

I think you can use TM for free. Registering a trademark ® might be expensive.

Edited by mr_me

Unregistered trademarks still have rights. And you can't copyright a name or title.

You do usually have intrinsic rights to claim a trademark, if you were using that trademark in business first. Eg, if two parties apply for the same trademark, the group that can demonstrate officially using that name for longer will usually win.

Trademarks usually apply to company/brand names, but in some cases can apply to unique (not generic) product names (eg Liquid Paper is a trademark, correction fluid is not, and cannot be a trademark), unique logos (like the Coca-Cola dynamic ribbon device), icons (such as the Mickey Mouse head), mascot characters or even some 3D shapes that would normally come under design patent (again the Coca-Cola hobble skirt bottle). Some of these areas overlap into copyright and design patent laws.

You are correct that the name/title of a book, video game etc cannot be copyrighted, but if you have a series of books, video games etc that come under the same title, then that name can be trademarked. Eg, Nintendo's Super Mario Bros, or Harry Potter series of books. Also, a unique lettered logo design based on the title could be considered an artwork, and falls into that area of both being covered by copyright, and eligible for trademark.

Application of copyright laws are almost subjective for some scenarios...

- J

If I was creating a new new series for a broad release on several consoles...then maybe it would be worth it. It is a not as cheap as a copyright.

You should have simply been asked before anyone makes anything related to your IP. It's not only in the right legal interest, it's the right ethical interest. I think it makes sense to get some legal action going against the offender, even if it's a giant time-suck for you. If you don't defend your rights the first time, you basically give them up for future times. People in forums can split hairs about what they think is copyright or what isn't, but they aren't lawyers, your lawyer is a lawyer. You spend time and money that you could have used on other things on something you love, no one else has the right to decide whether they should profit from you after the fact.

* spoken as someone who threw away all of their Intellivision game boxes years ago, kept the carts, put the overlays and manuals in binders, and plays the games because they are fun.

• Like 1

You should have simply been asked before anyone makes anything related to your IP. It's not only in the right legal interest, it's the right ethical interest. I think it makes sense to get some legal action going against the offender, even if it's a giant time-suck for you. If you don't defend your rights the first time, you basically give them up for future times. People in forums can split hairs about what they think is copyright or what isn't, but they aren't lawyers, your lawyer is a lawyer. You spend time and money that you could have used on other things on something you love, no one else has the right to decide whether they should profit from you after the fact.

If they had used the BBWW Logo anywhere it would be easier and I would have been forced to do it. Has I've said before I have had to defend the BBWW Trademark about 5 times. Mostly related to music.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...