IGNORED

Atari 2600A (4 switches, NTSC, Revision board version 13) issues

RetroGamer79

Hi all,

Here is my experience trying to fix my Atari 2600A:

I wanted to play some games on my Atari, initially everything was fine but there was a very slowly vertical rolling on my LCD TV, that's when all started ....

I opened the case, cleaned the inside with contact cleaner, adjusted the video/sound synthesizer, removed and reinserted the 3 chips (by mistake, I placed TIA backwards and I didn't turn on, I placed it back correctly and turn it on, it partially work again)

I did the mod on the Atari following these 2 articles: http://www.coolretroprojects.com/Atari_2600_AV_Mod_Installation_Guide.pdf and https://www.instructables.com/id/ATARI-2600-Video-Composite-mod/#CSJUVVMJQ0SNBGI

Actual issues:

- Vertical screen rolling (up to down, medium speed).

- No color at all, just black and white.

- Some sounds are missing.

- Controllers directions work fine (up/down/left/right) but fire button doesn't work ...

- There is a rapid-fire sound even when both controllers are unplugged (it seems there is only a sound because I do not see the bullets coming out on combat game for example)

- Some Game logic is incorrect, for example, while playing combat, while going forward the tank start jumping around instead

I suspect the TIA got damaged, so I am contacting Best Electronics - Bradley Koda to see if he has one for sale ...

Additional information:

I have another Atari Jr and I tested controllers, power adapter and cables and they are fine.

Questions

If a chip is placed backwards it will get damaged?

Do you think those issues are because damaged TIA?

Probably by touching the chips any got damaged?

Why vertical rolling screen happen?

post-68248-0-56905300-1557706325_thumb.jpg

Vertical rolling and lack of color can be a PAL/NTSC issue. Are you sure your console is the right one for your region?

Controller triggers are read by the TIA chip, if I recall correctly (I have not looked at the Field Service Manual to confirm). So if you’re having issues reading the triggers, and with your messed up game logic and screwed up color, I’d definitely suspect a bad chip.