IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 12 Round 9 - Super Breakout

Welcome to round nine of this 5200 HSC season! Sinistar and Super Breakout were tied in the poll, so I ended up picking the original pack-in game, Super Breakout. We will be playing in Cavity Mode. Emulation is fine, as are custom controls. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

Do NOT use the "Extra Balls" option! This is the thing where you can press 1 on the keypad during the game to get 5 extra balls.

The current HSC record for Super Breakout in Cavity Mode was set by zylon - 1,500 points. Bust it if you can for a bonus point!

A link to the ROM and manual can be found here:

http://atariage.com/software_page.php?SoftwareLabelID=668

Round ends Sunday, May 26th, 2019 @9pm EST

Standings:

jnice - 2,499 - RECORD BREAKER!

eegt97 - 2,349 - RECORD BREAKER!

Nuclear Pacman - 720

Cafeman - 545

bemis - 496

Mangia-Boy - 209

Abel MVada - 38

Just noticed, using the same kind of homemade 5200 paddle as you NP. Nice to be able to use in the HSC for something.

It's nice having it, but man, I swear this version of SB is way harder than the 2600 game. This is just brutal. That 1500 top score seems light years away.

For emulation, lower whatever sensitivity and deadzone values you have as low as can work when using an analog stick. I don't recall trackball mode with mouse working very well on Super Breakout. I recall I had a decent way of playing it in kat5200 but will have to experiment with it to remember what that was. It may have been using the D-Pad with Simulate Analog mode turned on, not sure. A self centering stick is just tough with this game.

Played around with emulation a little more. I think that by far the easiest way to play is using the mouse in normal joystick mode (not trackball mode). At least in kat5200. I would imagine it works similar in the other emulators.

I checked, I don't have this game on cart, and my Old Guru designed flash cart needs a DLL that Win10 doesn't have. Might skip this one, or post a super low emulated attempt.

I'd encourage you to at least post a low-scoring emulation attempt. Also try eegt97's tips above for better controller emulation (thanks eegt97!)

Has anyone else found a good combination of emulators and settings that works well for them?

I don't think anyone was using this, but, just to be sure, please don't use the "Extra Balls" option! This is the thing where you can press 1 on the keypad during the game to get 5 extra balls. Just stick with the 5 balls you were originally given. Thanks!

• Like 1

Yes, what I try to do is get up through a side without releasing the other balls. Get all three trapped on top for a little while and the score starts rolling up. Easier said than done, at least for me...

I don't think anyone was using this, but, just to be sure, please don't use the "Extra Balls" option! This is the thing where you can press 1 on the keypad during the game to get 5 extra balls. Just stick with the 5 balls you were originally given. Thanks!

Yeah, I figured I'd better not do that again, or people would have fits. That's why, for the first score I submitted in the thread, I purposely paused the game on Ball #4 (without the little block underneath indicating extra balls were used), so I wouldn't get accused of cheating!

• Like 1

Yes, what I try to do is get up through a side without releasing the other balls. Get all three trapped on top for a little while and the score starts rolling up. Easier said than done, at least for me...

That is a good strategy to use! It's my understanding the bricks you hit when two balls are active results in double points for those bricks. Three balls = Triple points.

The key to this variant is to keep the multiple balls going as long as possible. It multiplies the score accordingly.

Another scoring aid is timing your hit of the last brick. If you can manage to hit the last brick from above, you've got a good chance that the next level will start before the ball comes back down. Since you get the extra 2 balls back at the start of a level, it gives mega scoring if done right. Here's an old pic from when I did it on doubles.

post-25215-0-50062900-1558143300_thumb.jpg

Edited by zylon
  • Like 1

Another scoring aid is timing your hit of the last brick. If you can manage to hit the last brick from above, you've got a good chance that the next level will start before the ball comes back down. Since you get the extra 2 balls back at the start of a level, it gives mega scoring if done right. Here's an old pic from when I did it on doubles.

Yeah, I thought I remembered that. I have had a couple of times where I thought that *should* happen, but didn't. Have to keep trying.