IGNORED

7800 and More Controller Question

yell0w_lantern

I wanted to try to re-wire a 3rd party SNES controller to use withe the C-64, Sega Master System, and 7800

The plan was to wire the Shoulder buttons for the 7800 (pins 5 and 9 wired through resistors to 8 with pin 6 on the other side of the switch)

Y would be the standard fire button

X would be wired to 'up' for C-64 games that use up to jump

B would be wired as the 2nd Amiga button pins 9 (pot x) and 7 (VCC+5)

A would be wired like a Sega Master System Button (pin 9)

In the past, I've used switches to move things around but I'm wondering if I could simplify my life. Can I wire this up straight? Should I use diodes to prevent backflow on some of the wires? Should I scrap the idea and just go back to slide switches?

Left Shoulder Right Shoulder

Up X

Left Right Y A

Down B

http://retro-bit.com/super-retro-wired-controller.html

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a conversion of an SNES controller to 7800. for a 2 button 1 D-Pad controller it was too many buttons doing the same thing. This could definitely work, easiest way to start is by drawing a rough schematic of all controllers and "combining" them. then hack the controller apart, remove anything connected to the chip on the board and wire from scratch like below...

post-61918-0-82431100-1558998653_thumb.jpg

post-61918-0-05221300-1558998572_thumb.jpg

post-61918-0-32997300-1558998673_thumb.jpg

Or you can abandon that idea altogether like I did and just redesign a PCB and make your own controller drop in...

post-61918-0-43365400-1558998758_thumb.jpg

post-61918-0-09690900-1558998819_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

You can only hack in a few wires before it gets too messy and the buttons get in the way, and you can't close the back of the case.

You will need to make a custom pcb to include all the features you want in a single controller. Your other option is to have two or three controllers, each with only one or two extra functions, which limits the amount of extra wires so it would fit inside the case.

I wouldn't waste my time with those junk China 3rd party controllers. The original Nintendo branded controllers are 10 times better.

• 2 weeks later...

I've done a conversion of an SNES controller to 7800. for a 2 button 1 D-Pad controller it was too many buttons doing the same thing. This could definitely work, easiest way to start is by drawing a rough schematic of all controllers and "combining" them. then hack the controller apart, remove anything connected to the chip on the board and wire from scratch like below...

attachicon.gif20171008_140303.jpg

attachicon.gif20171008_160924.jpg

attachicon.gif20171008_140317.jpg

Or you can abandon that idea altogether like I did and just redesign a PCB and make your own controller drop in...

attachicon.gifIMG_4184.JPG

Imagine a drop-in replacement PCB - well, a PCB in 4 parts - for the 5200's CX52 joystick.... not to work with a 7800 but to work better with the 5200! You've missed your calling, Danth Wader! :)