IGNORED

Doom - Atari Jaguar Review - FPS = Flippin' Perfect Shooter

Adriano Arcade

Doom - Atari Jaguar Review - FPS = Flippin' Perfect Shooter

Please enjoy my latest Atari Jaguar review for Arcade Attack. This time I look at the great port of the PC classic; Doom!

https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/doom-jaguar-review/

Thanks all!

There will be a corresponding DOOM podcast episode released very soon (in the coming days) on Arcade Attack. Please check out our pod, and maybe subscribe below:

https://www.arcadeattack.co.uk/podcast/

• Like 2

Jaguar Doom is a really interesting one to look back at.

At the time it simply blew myself and my friends away and simply was the platform of choice to play Doom on..none of us owning a PC and we were not touching the SNES or 32X versions with a barge pole.

Several bought a Jaguar just for Doom.

Itself also been able to stand proud next to the 3DO and (Pal) Saturn versions (the N64 version of Doom being more of a reworking) but this is probably due to the nature of the conversions to these platforms.

I didn't miss the PC music either, the Playstation soundtrack will always be THE Doom soundtrack for myself.

I would challenge your statement here

"The game is quite simply a masterpiece and it should have been a clear blueprint of how PC games could have and should have been ported to the Jaguar."

Carmack himself has talked of how he could of done the conversion with better results, a 256x180 resolution over the 160x180 we received and you yourself point out a lot of what was cut..

Cyber Demons

Spider Masterminds

Crushers

There's also reduced detail in the environments..stairs miss every second step, texture count reduced.

No partial invisibility

No light Amplification visor.

A longer development cycle and bigger cartridge could of resulted in the best Jaguar Doom for the commercial era.

I still have fond memories of it and that's more than i can say of Playstation 4 Doom Reboot

But the Playstation version of Doom for myself remains the definitive console version.

• Like 1

Jaguar Doom is a really interesting one to look back at.

At the time it simply blew myself and my friends away and simply was the platform of choice to play Doom on..none of us owning a PC and we were not touching the SNES or 32X versions with a barge pole.

Several bought a Jaguar just for Doom.

Itself also been able to stand proud next to the 3DO and (Pal) Saturn versions (the N64 version of Doom being more of a reworking) but this is probably due to the nature of the conversions to these platforms.

I didn't miss the PC music either, the Playstation soundtrack will always be THE Doom soundtrack for myself.

I would challenge your statement here

"The game is quite simply a masterpiece and it should have been a clear blueprint of how PC games could have and should have been ported to the Jaguar."

Carmack himself has talked of how he could of done the conversion with better results, a 256x180 resolution over the 160x180 we received and you yourself point out a lot of what was cut..

Cyber Demons

Spider Masterminds

Crushers

There's also reduced detail in the environments..stairs miss every second step, texture count reduced.

No partial invisibility

No light Amplification visor.

A longer development cycle and bigger cartridge could of resulted in the best Jaguar Doom for the commercial era.

I still have fond memories of it and that's more than i can say of Playstation 4 Doom Reboot

But the Playstation version of Doom for myself remains the definitive console version.I mu

I must have a go at the PlayStation version! Thanks a lot again Lost Dragon. I do like the the new Doom, but I can see why it might not be everyone's cup of tea. We just recorded a Doom podcast tribute on Arcade Attack.

Here is a link: https://arcadeattackpodcast.podbean.com/e/doom-the-greatest-fps-ever-made/

• Like 1