IGNORED

Enabling / using expanded VDP addressing

Willie1914

Hi everyone,

I'm interesting in using the expanded VDP addressing feature in Classic99 -- I've read the documentation, but am not clear on exactly how to access the VDP Ram using this feature (i.e., register usage, register setup, etc.)

Can anyone direct me to further documentation or offer information?

Thanks in advance,

Bill

• Like 1

Are you talking about the 2k of GPU memory on the F18A? Classic99 doesn't have any other expanded VDP memory I can think of.

If it's that memory, it's only accessible from the F18A's GPU. The F18A GPU is a 9900-compatible processor in the F18A that runs code from video memory, so you can just load code from the 9900 to VRAM, and then trigger the F18A to execute it. In that case, the GPU has RAM located from >0000 to >47FF.

I think he is talking about the additional VRAM the TMS9938 is capable of supporting. If that is the case, your (Classic99’s) manual (page 20) is clear that VDP RAM of 128 KiB is supported as per the TMS9938. I did not get around to checking whether VDP registers beyond VR07 can be set in graphics modes (non-80-column text mode).

...lee