IGNORED

New technique for whitening yellowed plastic

adam1977

On 5/15/2019 at 12:18 PM, Mclaneinc said:

Handy if you have a garden and non thieving neighbours, sadly its a no on the garden and a huge yes on the thieving neighbours...We put a pot plant on the balcony the first day we moved in, both the pot plant and the saucer were gone the next morning....True...

I don't think my 2 Amiga's 3 C64's and two Atari's would make it for 10 mins..

Its so bad that if you want to get rid of an old TV you just leave it outside the block door like you forgot to bring it inside, its gone in 5 mins..

Really want to try the idea though but not so sure it will work as well through double glazing on the window sill...

Wow.  That is so sad.  I didn't think theft was a big issue in the UK.  It really is a sad statement of today's environment.  People, go to work and buy your own stuff!  

• Like 1

On 5/15/2019 at 11:09 AM, adam1977 said:

I saw this last Saturday but forgot to post it on here, but Perifractic has made a video of his findings on how to whiten some of his old computers/consoles etc. Very simple, cheap and something anybody can do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P1OVj0IcqY

That dude has been partaking of some of California's "Green Gold".  Like, Wow, dude....surf's up.   Laid back.  Heart beats about 4 times an hour.....

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, StickJock said:

I've just finished brightening up a couple of 800 cases.  I was wondering, is it good/bad to wipe some automobile protectant, like 303, on the cases?

Amazon.com: 303 (30308) Aerospace Protectant Trigger Sprayer, 16 Fl. oz.: Automotive

Pretty sure it was decided decades ago on here, that ArmorAll was the protectant of choice for our vintage equipment.

• Haha 1

well been out for another day and a half. so Four days outside total.

L39wtThh.jpgDIdOhaRh.jpg

Pretty satisfied with it. might just leave the whole keyboard outside tomorrow to work a bit more on it's reverse tan.

It certainly works though.

Edited by siccoyote
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, xrbrevin said:

it demonstrates how the grey casing had also discoloured, not just the keys

The difference in in colour of the case is just because I took the first pic in natural sunlight the later picture under warm LED lighting, I only put the keys outside, the rest of the keyboard and space bar stayed inside. Doesn't seem discoloured to me.

Edited by siccoyote

On 5/12/2020 at 12:39 PM, StickJock said:

I've just finished brightening up a couple of 800 cases.  I was wondering, is it good/bad to wipe some automobile protectant, like 303, on the cases?

Amazon.com: 303 (30308) Aerospace Protectant Trigger Sprayer, 16 Fl. oz.: Automotive

I've used it on all the cases I've brightened up (4 so far).  It's pretty hard to know if it will help, but I figure it's very unlikely that it'll hurt!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, archeocomp said:

Pic on the top is after sunbath?

Yeah the one with white keys and a yellowed space bar is after the sunbath.

chISiKxh.jpg

Here it is just now, rather than taking it apart just leaving the whole thing out.

I mean it's not perfect the keys aren't quite back to their original colour but they are a definite improvement over the space bar.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, siccoyote said:

Are they supposed to be the same colour?

Well, it depends on the plastic compound they put in the moulds. They're both supposed to be grey, but - for example - my XF551 was never exactly the same colour as my 65XE even when the disk drive was brand new in the box.

• Like 1