adam1977

New technique for whitening yellowed plastic

nice. but you can still see there's a difference

the yellow is now the colour that the rest of the case was and

the rest of the case is now slightly lighter still.

Ya, it isnt perfect, but it still looks way better than before. It helps to keep it out from sun up to sun down, as it hits different angles for a more even look. Considering this technique requires almost no effort, the results are pretty awesome.

• Like 2

I live in Queensland, with excess sun here, more than I like. I just hope this process won't warp my case.

yes 100% yes it is a real concern if you live in an area where the sun gets INTENSE might I suggest putting it in a water bath to prevent that (never had warping issues with liquid retrobrite formula's in the south east USA August sun, where its so narsty your grass turns to dust)

I set some 5 mm accrylic out in the sun one day just to see what it would do and it started to make a 90 over the deck rail by the end of the day, you dont want that messing with a thin, old ABS part that's hard to replace

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

I live in Queensland, with excess sun here, more than I like. I just hope this process won't warp my case.

You still coming to terms with the sun Steve? :)

But yeah, I'd be worried about warping in that heat too...

I think there's a greater risk of items being carried away by flood-waters in the UK.

Anyway: I tried this briefly on Monday when we had good, strong sunlight, but since experiments were rapidly curtailed by the subsequent deluge of rain, it's still unclear whether anything is actually happening to the plastic.

• Like 2