IGNORED

Champ Games - Galagon (aka Galaga) 2600

johnnywc

Will there be an easter egg for Galaga to change the title screen to Galagon? I bought the full version of that one. Good stuff. I'm excited to see a new version of Galaga on 2600 from the same programmer!

Thanks for your support with CHAMP Galagon - I'm glad you liked it! :) As for the Easter Egg, we probably won't have the room (we're pretty short on ROM as it is), but we're still debating on the name so Galagon may make it to the title screen one way or another. ;)

GALAGA WIP UPDATE!

ZeroPage Homebrew is back to play stream some more of Champ Games' Galaga TOMORROW (Sunday) at 11AM PT on Twitch!

Twitch Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/zeropagehomebrew/

We'll be playing head to head the Arcade vs 2600 versions of Galaga hunting for bugs and gameplay accuracy. John Champeau has just sent over a NEW WIP version of Galaga to ZeroPage that updates a number of things including the ship capture bug. He's also added in Savekey support so we'll be able to retain our high scores!

Join us LIVE tomorrow (Sunday) on the ZeroPage Homebrew Twitch livestream at 11AM PT | 1PM ET | 6PM GMT for some more Atari 2600 Homebrew Gaming!

(note: not the official cart artwork)

post-37205-0-68235300-1558217587_thumb.png

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew
  • Like 6

I so cannot wait to play this on my harmony cart. Galaga is one of my favorite games and I ended up playing the arcade version today to hold me over. Champ games are amazing and I look forward to playing this as well as Zoo Keeper when it gets close to release.

• Like 1

Personally, I'm not a fan of attributing homebrews to Atari, even just as a nod to nostalgia. Atari didn't make it, therefore they don't deserve the recognition. Even if it's just a catalog number.

I've never been a fan of using Atari style labels (or any other vintage company) for homebrews either. I think homebrews should have their own unique identity, and stand apart from what was created back-in-the-day.

I know there are collectors who would really like to have an Atari style Galaga box on their shelf, and some homebrew authors really achieve a sort-of wish fulfillment by having an Atari style label on their games, but I think it does them a disservice, by making their games look more generic.

But that's just my 25¢. :)

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 12

I agree with what Nathan said above, there's no reason to mimic Atari's style of labels, or those of other companies. There's such a wide variety of homebrew labels and I prefer these original designs over just using Atari's label templates. Sometimes it's appropriate, for instance, when doing a reproduction of a game that Atari was working on and planning on releasing, or perhaps was featured in a catalog (such as our limited release of a Coleco-themed version of Lady Bug).

Another reason I'm not a fan of Atari's label designs as they hamstring the artwork used for the game. I love when homebrew labels take full advantage of the label space, rather than constraining the artwork to a small box surrounded by a single color background, and framed by standard boilerplate logos and text.

If catalog numbers were to be used, I'd prefer they a new numbering scheme. For instance, all the AtariAge homebrews could belong to a unique pattern for identifying them (AA-26-001, for instance). But it's been been fine enough up to this point to just use the game's name.

That being said, there have been AtariAge releases that have mimicked the label style of Atari or another company. I'm fine with that if that's what the author desired. But I would not want the majority of homebrew games to follow that pattern.

..Al

• Like 11

I love games with the vintage labels. If I could, I would buy all of my homebrews with old school Atari text or picture labels. That being said, the labels done by artists on AA have really grown on me. I see them as a natural progression or evolution, much like the games made today compared to the games of yesteryear. I wish some labels could be posters. The art for Chetiry is incredible.

• Like 1

I agree with what Nathan said above, there's no reason to mimic Atari's style of labels, or those of other companies. There's such a wide variety of homebrew labels and I prefer these original designs over just using Atari's label templates. Sometimes it's appropriate, for instance, when doing a reproduction of a game that Atari was working on and planning on releasing, or perhaps was featured in a catalog (such as our limited release of a Coleco-themed version of Lady Bug).

Another reason I'm not a fan of Atari's label designs as they hamstring the artwork used for the game. I love when homebrew labels take full advantage of the label space, rather than constraining the artwork to a small box surrounded by a single color background, and framed by standard boilerplate logos and text.

If catalog numbers were to be used, I'd prefer they a new numbering scheme. For instance, all the AtariAge homebrews could belong to a unique pattern for identifying them (AA-26-001, for instance). But it's been been fine enough up to this point to just use the game's name.

That being said, there have been AtariAge releases that have mimicked the label style of Atari or another company. I'm fine with that if that's what the author desired. But I would not want the majority of homebrew games to follow that pattern.

..Al

I couldn't agree more. There are so many talented illustrators on the forums. It would be a shame to box them into one template style.

• Like 3

There have been quite a few label arwork posters included in the boxed copies of homebrew games and they are amazing looking! It's even more a sight to behold at the AtariAge booth at gaming conventions when they break out the huge posters they have hanging up, gorgeous, it really shows off the incredible talent behind the artwork!

I wish some labels could be posters.

• Like 1

There have been quite a few label artwork posters included in the boxed copies of homebrew games and they are amazing looking! It's even more a sight to behold at the AtariAge booth at gaming conventions when they break out the huge posters they have hanging up, gorgeous, it really shows off the incredible talent behind the artwork!

Related photo:

10142212626_1d3edbc134_b.jpg

:D

• Like 3