IGNORED

Champ Games - Galagon (aka Galaga) 2600

johnnywc

SPICEWARE: Hah! That display is crazy! 8) I live in Illinois. I'm jealous of you guys out West! You're always having retro fests!

We never get anything where I live.

JOHNNYWC: Awesome name! You went back to the old DOS CHAMP GAMES title! So cool!

10 hours ago, sramirez2008 said:

Oh yeah...I had forgotten about the setup at last years Houston Arcade Expo. That is by far, the largest display I’ve ever played Galaga on.  That was tons of fun.

Thanks Darrell.?

Isn't that you Steve playing the game in that pic?

Edited by Arenafoot

16 hours ago, D.A.K. said:

SPICEWARE: Hah! That display is crazy! 8) I live in Illinois. I'm jealous of you guys out West! You're always having retro fests!

Texas is in the in the south, I'm even in the same time zone as you ;)

The Midwest Gaming Classic is just north of you in Milwaukee.  About an hours drive from McHenry, Illinois where I lived in the 70s and early 80s.

• Haha 1

Just now, SpiceWare said:

Looks like the date has shifted back to mid-November, 4 weeks after PRGE. Maybe @Albert and make an appearance again.

Yes, this is the first time in a while that it hasn't been smack on top of PRGE, or within a week of it.  However, I'm not sure I'll be back home from PRGE by then, as I plan on taking a more meandering route back so I can stop along the way at a few places and also do some mountain biking if I can. Even then, it'd be unlikely I'd want to drag hardware to the show right after PRGE, although if I'm in town, it would be fun to attend.  I'd like to see the new space!

..Al

• Like 3

On 7/17/2019 at 5:18 PM, D.A.K. said:

I live in Illinois. I'm jealous of you guys out West! You're always having retro fests!

DAK - you can use my website: www.VideoGameStores.net to locate expos and game stores. I haven't updated the expos page in a bit, but they are all listed on there. Also, let me know if there's some video game stores missing on the individual states pages.

• Like 2

On 7/18/2019 at 10:01 AM, SpiceWare said:

Texas is in the in the south, I'm even in the same time zone as you ;)

The Midwest Gaming Classic is just north of you in Milwaukee.  About an hours drive from McHenry, Illinois where I lived in the 70s and early 80s.

lets not forget Video Game Summit Home of the Harmony Games and btw besides showing mappy as part of Harmony Game tournament we also showed the first demo of Galaga (before the name change happened) went over big.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, easmith said:

when will this be available for purchase?

Hello!

Galagon will first be available for purchase on October 19th, 2019 at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in Portland, Oregon, and then in the Atari Age store a couple weeks after that.  :)  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Dan Iacovelli said:

lets not forget Video Game Summit Home of the Harmony Games and btw besides showing mappy as part of Harmony Game tournament we also showed the first demo of Galaga (before the name change happened) went over big.

That's great to hear Dan!  Thanks so much for having Mappy and the demo of Galaga available to play at the VGS! :)  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, johnnywc said:

Hello!

Galagon will first be available for purchase on October 19th, 2019 at the Portland Retro Gaming Expo in Portland, Oregon, and then in the Atari Age store a couple weeks after that.  :)  

Sure hope there is a no-box option when it hits the AA store.

11 hours ago, AtariLeaf said:

I love the name change. Like Draconian, the name seems to borrow from a Tandy Coco game of the same name 

Thanks!  Hmmm, I didn't realize there was a Galaga clone made for the Tandy CoCo  named "Galagon"!  We actually decided to name the game after Champ Games (CHAMProgramming) PC clone that I did back in 1997:  :D 

http://www.champ-em.com/galagon.htm

Incidentally, I was able to reference a lot of the code in CHAMP Galagon for the 2600 version which helped immensely in the quick development! :)  

• Like 4

6 hours ago, johnnywc said:

We actually decided to name the game after Champ Games (CHAMProgramming) PC clone that I did back in 1997:  :D 

I can't think of a good "Champ" style name for 'Wizard Of Wor'.  :?

johnnywc: Kinda off topic but have you ever played Deluxe Galaga on Amiga or WARBLADE on PC?

Edgar M. Vigdal, the programmer, was a friend of mine for many years.

We met online via Amiga scene in the 90's, he was from Norway.

His last project was working on WARBLADE II but he passed away a few years ago. 8(

It became "WARBLADE" for the PC when he decided to do the PC version due to him not wanting to use the name

"GALAGA" for copyright issues. WARBLADE for PC is the best version of the game & what interested parties should get.

WARBLADE is an excellent game! I still play it often!

It's like GALAGA but a super version with a store and weapon upgrades, mini games and it goes on and on and on!

I had an artist friend who actually came up with the name WARBLADE.

In the 90's, we were trying to do a Genesis version with Edgar but it never happened.

However, my artist friend had done artwork and we even had a version for AGA Amigas using his graphics.

It looks like he was paired with another artist for the sequel WARBLADE MK II. It's such a loss that Edgar passed away.

Anyone who likes GALAGA or it's sequel GAPLUS will love this game. It's totally worth the purchase.

http://emv-software.weebly.com/products.html

Edited by D.A.K.
  • Like 1